jesenovec

Viltrox AUTOFOCUS Speed Booster/Focal reducer adapter for FUJI X?

Hi Fujilovers!

I had an idea if anyone is interested… As you may know, the company Viltrox is producing AF adapters for M lenses and AF Speed Booster adapters for Sony APS-C. Wouldn't it be amazing if they made one for Fuji X mount, also lot's of mounts would be great (MD, M42, PK, OM, FD, Canon EF,…) like with their other adapters.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Viltrox-EF-E-Mount-Adapter-Auto-Focus-AF-for-Canon-EF-to-Sony-E-mount-APS-C-/321960438601?hash=item4af6566b49:g:daoAAOSwBLlVbQ~N
Yes I am aware the AF speed is nowhere near Fuji's lenses, but the idea is somewhat promising.
Wouldn't that be amazing? Having a reasonably cheap, ''high quality'' focal reducer, making your camera ''work'' like it's almost full frame in some aspects (depth of field) and gathering 1 extra stop of light and also using it for auto focusing your adapted MF lenses.

For me at least, that would change the whole perspective on the ''adapting lenses'' thing, as the adapter is rather small and the benefits (1EV, sharpness, FF depth, lens character, BOKEH!!) are just too big to ignore.

The X-Pro2 and newer ILC X-Mount cameras would benefit a lot from this, considering the AF is up to modern standards.
I don't see why Viltrox couldn't make this possible. There's gonna be a lot of people buying the X-Pro2, X-T2,… and many of them have at least some old MF lenses.

This would work with most vintage glass (Leica M mount excluded).

Edited by jesenovec

Guest Ridgeback

My Canon FDs are manual so it wouldn't be much use to me but as a matter of principle I'd find your idea quite exciting.

Guest Ridgeback

That's the whole point of doing that. All adapted lenses become autofocus. Another brand Techart made a Leica M - Sony AF adapter aswell...

I'm not being intentionally obtuse but I can't quite understand this.

Maybe it's because of my job, but how is this meant to work? Manual lenses set to infinity are physically moved at that setting to focus. But the stroke of this system has a maximum (4.5 mm to be precise) and it certainly will not work with varifocal zooms, only with parfocal zooms or primes. So a stroke of 4.5 mm is enough to focus a 24 mm wide angle as well as a 135 mm telephoto? I need to find me some diagrams for this.

Also I must strongly disagree with the guy's assertion that manual lenses are unsuited to street photography. Obviously he has never heard of Cartier-Bresson, Maier, Winogrand, Feininger, Capa, Meyerowitz, Soupault et al.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By jongrall
      I've been using Fuji X-series cameras for a few years now, and have owned several of them.
      I would like to know how to report a camera firmware bug with Fuji, and also how to submit firmware feature requests so that it reaches the right people in the US or Japan. Does anyone know how I can do this?
      So far I've tried submitting via the official contact form here: https://www.fujifilmusa.com/support/ServiceSupportContactForm.do?catid=464128&prodcat=234644
      However, that just resulted in a generic "please call this phone number" response. I called the number they recommended, and got passed to Fujifilm Corporate in Valhalla, NY, where my inquiry dead-ended since I don't know who to ask for in their phone system. Ideally, this would be sent via email anyway.
      I must say, for a company that prides itself on continuously improving its firmware, I find it a little surprising that Fuji doesn't seem to make it easy for users to report bugs and send feedback on their products.
      Does anyone know how to get in touch with Fuji? Furthermore, once we have this information, perhaps it would be a good idea for this community to post a pinned discussion on how to contact the company with bugs and feature suggestions?
    • By yukosteel
      Initial lens review of Viltrox 85mm F1.8 lens on Fujifilm X-T30 camera.

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content.  
    • By nico-m
      Hello everyone, 
      First post on this forum so let me introduce myself : Nicolas, fuji x100 user when this camera was released, sold it and regret it, fuji x100f user for a month.
      I would like to report an odd behavior which is supposed to be fixed in the latest firmware as per Fuji detailed report here https://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/x/x100f/history.html
      0/ my fuji X100F is running the latest firmware (2.11)
      1/ In manual focus mode:
      2/ Whether:
      I use the AEL/AFL button to acquire focus Or use the front ring to manually focus (the area in focus is highlighted with the focus peak option so I know precisely what is in focus)
      3/ AND focusing at short distance (less than 50 cm)
      4/ AND using any aperture smaller than f/2.0 (the smallest the aperture, the biggest lens moves: see point 5/ below)
      5/ When I press the shutter button, the lens slightly moves (obvious move) before the picture is acquired, thus ruining what is in focus.
      I have repeated the same process in AF/S and everything works fine.
      Anyone experienced this behavior?
      Do you know if the fuji website has a link to submit incident request?
      Thanks for reading !
      Nicolas