Wireless TTL flash with Fuji X-T1

The Nissin i40 can do TTL with Fuji systems, though god knows how to get it working on a wireless system. I saw Damien Lovegrove use it with a Canon cable, so maybe Canon-compatible triggers would work, but I'm pretty much blindly guessing at that and I certainly don't care to spend the money to find out.

If you simply want some form of remote control over flash power, take a look at Cactus flash guns and triggers. They give you remote power control of any brand of flash (and remote zoom control with their own flashes) and allow you to mix brands of flash however you like. It's not TTL, but it gives you on-camera control of your flash power. Since with flash you'll need to either take test shots or meter anyway, you're not losing anything by not using TTL when it comes to off-camera flash. 

Currently wireless TTL is not supported by Fujis flash protocol. There has been a rumor that they are working on a wireless flash system and it should be released in spring / summer this year (based on flashguns by Metz?). For me a Yongnuo YN560-TX + YN560 III speedlites work fine. Of cause without TTL but remote controlled.   

I also use the Godox system, under the US-based Cheetah Light brand, which I recommend for excellent service and support, even if the prices are a bit higher (still cheap!).

I do miss wireless ttl a little bit, but not as much as I thought I would; generally, for the cases where i used that, it was "put flash in a corner of the room aimed at ceiling, shoot away", and it turns out that that's really not a situation where the power level needs to change much — do a couple of test shots for the room and there you are.

For strobist/studio style portraits, manual control is better anyway — especially when you have two or three lights involved.

Short answer - no.

Long answer - noooooooo. You can use wireless systems in manual mode, and some of these allow for flash power adjustment, but you can't use them with TTL. It sounds like it's possible because of the term 'commander' mode on Fuji cameras. However, commander mode on Fuji flash systems means something very different to commander mode on Nikon iTTL, for example.

You can put your flash into Commander Mode and all it does is disable pre-flash, so the flash on your camera can trigger light and IR sensors on off-camera flashes. It sends no special IR codes to other flashes (as commander mode on iTTL does).

To make matters additionally confusing, the different IR settings on the underside of the EF-X20 allow for 'straight' slave triggering, or allow compensation for pre-flash. It's actually not quite as confused as it seems: the EF-X20 can be used with any Fuji on-camera flash, compensating for pre-flash, or the Fuji camera can be set to 'commander' mode to trigger conventional flash IR slaves (in which case, you need to adjust the EF-X20 accordingly).

But, to reiterate, there is no wireless TTL built into the Fuji system as it stands. If a subsequent flash system includes wireless TTL, it will necessitate firmware updates to existing cameras. It would also mean completely new flashguns from Fuji, as none of the existing models are likely to be compatible.

I use the Godox flashes and they work great but there are times that I would love the option of wireless TTL.  However, sadly, this does not seem like a priority for Fuji.   If they have a third party company develop it for them then great.   If not, maybe Phottix can develop a Fuji option for their Mitros or Indra lines but that seems like a longshot. 

This is the only barrier that stops me from dumping my Nikon gear for all Fuji.   I love their CLS system.

I'm using the Godox system for manual grouped flashes and its fantastic. Very good value for money.

I have those too, Godox V850 Ving. Great stuff, but pricier than Yongnuo though. Cactus V5 or V6 is a nice system too. All manual.

Ooh very interesting. It also says it can do HSS, though there aren't many details.

No, it says it can do high speed flash, with activation by noise or light (eg. photo of a balloon popping). Seriously? It's not HSS, just a fairly useless trigger option.

Yongnuo RF-602 set of controller and receiver works fine for wireless flash trigger.

I've Just finished testing with my 3-year old Yongnuo RF-602 set (TX and RX) and canon Speedlite 430EXII, full manual operation worked quite well. 

Which wireless Yongnuo controllers do work with the Fujis? I heard that not every one of those is compatible with the Fuji pins, not sure though.

I dont know if anyone had answered , but as i researched it and also on fujilove's web Yongnuo controllers for Canon should do the trick.

Which wireless Yongnuo controllers do work with the Fujis? I heard that not every one of those is compatible with the Fuji pins, not sure though.

I use a couple of YN500 EX flashes and a canon 430 EX2 flash with YN-622C transceivers and a YN-622C-TX (allows me to adjust flashes remotely from camera).

So far I've had no issues, obviously no HSS or TTL but for studio work thats no bother to me..

Highly recommended..

I use a couple of YN500 EX flashes and a canon 430 EX2 flash with YN-622C transceivers and a YN-622C-TX (allows me to adjust flashes remotely from camera).

So far I've had no issues, obviously no HSS or TTL but for studio work thats no bother to me..

Highly recommended..

Speaking only for the X-T1 (update: looks like the new 1.16 firmware fixes issues with X-E2 and X100S but I haven't tried it in the field) - If you already have Canon 600 EX-RT flashes the hot setup is to use the Yongnuo YN-E3-RT. It doesn't allow TTL but does allow remote control over flash power. I've tried using my Pocket Wizards (TT5 and TT1) and just don't get the same reliability as with the Canon setup plus there is no extra equipment on the flash side which simplifies things a lot when you're placing strobes into locations you don't have easy access to. All you worry about is mounting a flash and making sure you have battery power to the flash (and can use external battery packs for the flash).

Not a cost effective solution for people who don't already have the 600 EX-RT, I'll admit, but it's a high quality reliable solution and the 600-EX-RT is a very durable flash (much better than the 580 it replaced)

Note the one (minor) unfortunate feature of this system is that you have to hit the test button on the Yongnuo after any power level change so it sends the new power level to the flashes (unlike the canon E3-RT which just sends it automatically). Beyond that it just works and works just like the Canon controller (at 1/2 or more off the price)

I suspect the Yongnuo 600-EX works instead of the Canon flash but I haven't tried it. It's also clear from reviews that it isn't as durable as the Canon and that durability may be worth 3x the price to some (it is to me, who wants to work through a problem while on a time critical event like a wedding or music event?)

Still waiting for a TTL solution FUJI! I just wish they'd hookup with Yongnuo and be done with it. Maybe they could get Yongnuo to bump up the product quality a bit while they are at it.

Update: I just updated to the latest 1.16 firmware and there is a new "legacy trigger" mode option that appears to have been added specifically for Fuji. Turn it ON. With that I can now trigger my 600ex with my X-E2 and X100S. That said I haven't used in the field so can't say it works fully but am guessing it will now.

I have Cactus, works with Xpro1 and Xt1 very flexible.  Using radio signals as triggers is so much more reliable.  I used to use the Nikon system it was infra red based it was so unrelable.  I understand Fujifilm cameras use Canon connector patern in the flash shoe.