Focusing and flickering

Sany

Background: I am on back button focus mode. 

This is more evident in high dynamic range scenes. When I try to focus on one of the points - once in the lit up area object or on the object in the darker zone. When I press my back button to focus, for a fraction of second the bright area in the scene stutters / and kind of over exposing action (when i press the focus button) and when I try to focus on the shade area - the focus flickers for a while hunting focus, but it does the same action of flickering during this. (My back button 'AF ON button' is set to lock both focus and exposure). 

Just wondering why this happens - why should it do that stutter. Sometimes, highlight area flickers as though trying to let us know that it over exposed (but the histogram does not indicate any clipping).

Are you getting the problem when shooting in daylight or in artificial light, or both?

With certain artificial lighting, particularly LED office type panel lighting, you can get banding and flickering because of the frequency of the lights. The only way to stop this appearing in your photographs is to use a slower shutter speed, 1/100th or slower. 

On 5/6/2022 at 3:29 PM, DavidOC said:

Are you getting the problem when shooting in daylight or in artificial light, or both?

With certain artificial lighting, particularly LED office type panel lighting, you can get banding and flickering because of the frequency of the lights. The only way to stop this appearing in your photographs is to use a slower shutter speed, 1/100th or slower. 

I noticed mainly outdoor - also i am not sure, I explained it properly. Let me take a small video and share it here.

• 10 months later...