The XT-1 Viewfinder & Cataract Surgery Options

jimnyc

Anybody have any experience with cataract surgery and viewfinders?

I use a XT-1 and most often use the viewfinder. I have developed cataracts and am scheduled for surgery the end of April. The lens in each eye will be replaced and will correct the vision in that eye. I have a few options to choose from relative to my eyes' lens replacements. I need some help choosing. I really don't want to have to give up using the amzing Fuji viewfinder if possible.

The options are:

1. Both eyes can be corrected for far vision and I would need glasses for reading.
  2. Both eyes can be corrected for near vision (reading) and I would need glasses for distance.
  3. When I wore contacts I would use only one in one eye for distance and could use my other nearsighted eye for reading. I could do the same with the surgery's corrections, one for near and the other for far.

I can't believe I am in a unique position. Somebody has gone through this before so I am starting my search here.

Thanks,

Jim

Guest Ridgeback

Not in that weird position but I'd choose door number 2. Having worn glasses for 4/5 of my life due to myopia I'd know my way around that choice.

Best of British for your procedure.

I will have to face this one day, my cataract is at a very early stage.

If and when I would be facing this choice, I personally would go for option 1. 

I do many more things which require spectacles from far than things from close by. For reading I have plenty of corrective glasses including a very dashing pince-nez which serve me very well but currently I also need prescription glasses for far away.

I also have progressive prescription spectacles but if I could chose which one to keepI would get rid of the far away vision impairment.

About correcting one eye for near and the other for far away, that would drive me crazy.

I thought of this when I went to try contact lenses. I had a problem and that was that yes, I corrected the myopia with the contact lenses but then I wouldn’t be able to read the time on my watch or read the speedometer while driving.

The optician suggested that, on top of it I have the same correction on both eyes so I would be able to use the same lens on both if I wanted, that I only buy one contact lens for my dominant eye and that with that eye I looked far and with the eye without the lens I would look for things close by.

I thought that he was vigorously pulling my leg but not, he was dead serious. There are, or so I am told, several people who do this. 

Anyway I never got used to this particular thing.

Good luck with the operation and all of that! I am told that nowadays this is a very simple procedure.

Edited by milandro

The X-T1's viewfinder optics (like any (D)SLR's) create a virtual image of the EVF/focusing screen that appears to be at infinite distance when the diopter correction is set to zero.

On most cameras, it is set to -1 by factory default, so the image appears to be 1 m away. Those without diopter adjustment are usually fixed at -1, too. (The X-T1's factory default is also -1)

So by choosing correction for far vision, you still could use the X-T1's viewfinder by setting it to zero. You just have to find zero, because it's not marked.

Choosing correction for near vision might also work, because the viewfinder's diopter correction has a pretty generous range of -4 to +2, but I'm not sure if it's enough. -4 means the virtual image appears to be 0.25 m away from your eye. You should talk to your ophthalmologist about it, he will know what lenses he will use.

I'm 52 and had a detached retina 2 years ago,after that was sorted I had a lens replacement in my right eye which is the same procedure as a cataract they replace the lens with a new one and btw that's absolutely amazing vision after and during surgery(your awake during the replacement) any ways now I have short sighted in my left eye and long sighted in my right eye as they made that eye 20:20,your brain will adjust takes a few weeks,to answer your question I'd go for option 2 as the eyes will be better balanced but professional advice is your best bet.

Ps I don't wear any contacts I still wear glasses tho I use an xe2 without any problems

Edited by SoulSeeker

Jim,

Have you looked into whether you're a candidate for multi-focal or accommodating lenses? Each type has the ability to correct your vision at different distances. Multi-focal lens are the equivalent of a transitional glasses, whereas accommodating work with the eyes muscles for a more natural form of focusing. In any case, you won't regret having the procedure done. I was amazed on how much clearer and vivid my vision after the surgery. Good luck and hope all goes well. Oh, I've an XT1 shooter for almost 2 years now.

robflores

Not in that weird position but I'd choose door number 2. Having worn glasses for 4/5 of my life due to myopia I'd know my way around that choice.

Best of British for your procedure.

Definitely option 2 yes, I am a glasses wearer too. I can get by in a pinch without them when I'm at home. Being far sighted seems much more demanding. When you are near sighted, you can just keep your glasses on all the time. It becomes second nature, I don't notice it anymore.