Pocketable Fuji: X100T vs X-Pro1/27mm

LeonD

I am literally looking for a camera that I can carry around in my (jacket) pocket.  Or store in a handlebar bag on a bicycle.

I already have the X-Pro1 and a few lenses.  But not the 27mm.  I'm debating going with my X-Pro1 and the 27mm vs getting the X100T.  Looking at Fuji's web site, it appears the X100T is about half an inch shorter in every dimension.  On paper, that doesn't seem like a lot.  But reality can be much different.

So to those who have both, is the X100T much smaller than the X-Pro1/27mm?

Thanks.

(And I realize the right way to do this is to actually try them out in person.  But I'm about a week away from getting to the store so I thought I'd ask here first.)

Guest Ridgeback

If you want a pocketable camera get a Panasonic TZ100. Or a Sony RX 100 Mk3. Imho none of Fuji's offerings manage to combine IQ with true pocketability. The closest you'll get to it is with the XQ1 & 2.

The 27 is hardly bigger than the lens on the X100T. The X-Pro1 body is quite a bit bigger though so it might be an inferior option in your use case (plus, you lose that stop of light)

If I were you I'd consider getting an X-E2 with 27 if the OVF isn't a must-have. That combination is cheaper than an X100T but basically the same size and you get all those nice new firmware features and much better AF. Or you wait for the rumoured 23 f2 and get that in combination with an X-E2.

I have the X100T and I'm not sure I'd call it pocketable. I guess it will fit into my jacket pocket or cargo shorts pockets. I think the size difference on the X-Pro 1 body would be too much. I don't have one to compare, but do have the X-Pro2 on preorder. I really like the X100T, but am considering selling mine. I prefer the 50mm equivalent lenses and am thinking about just using the X-Pro2 with the 35mm f/2 when it arrives. I have an Panasonic LX100 that I recently bought to carry in a jacket pocket and for video; it is quite decent. It is closer to the size you're looking for, but is quite a different camera. I like how it also uses an aperture ring and shutter speed dial.

Neither the X100T nor the X-E2 is really pocketable in my opinion. It's not only size but also weight. Sure, if you generally carry big blocks of stuff in your pockets, then why not, but most people carry a wallet, keys and a cell phone – compared to this an X100T is massive. 

The X70 is quite a bit smaller, but a Sony RX100 for example is more versatile with a zoom while being about the same size. I personally consider a Canon S120 pocketable, everything bigger than that – not really, but that all depends on the definition of "pocketable".

See this:

http://camerasize.com/compact/#566,651,475,ha,b

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll check out some of those other cameras but I'm thinking I may want to stay in Fuji Land.  In addition to loving the pics, I really enjoy the experience of photography with my X-Pro1.  To an old timer, it feels like I'm using a camera (and not a computer).

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll check out some of those other cameras but I'm thinking I may want to stay in Fuji Land.  In addition to loving the pics, I really enjoy the experience of photography with my X-Pro1.  To an old timer, it feels like I'm using a camera (and not a computer).

i agree with you on the feel of the Fuji. I prefer their color processing. If it is the controls you like, look at the LX100 as it is an aperture ring and shutter speed dial. I have not had mine long, but it does feel similar to the Fuji as far as controls. It is smaller than tha X100 but larger than most P&S cameras. It also has a M4/3 sensor.

• 2 weeks later...

I am literally looking for a camera that I can carry around in my (jacket) pocket.  Or store in a handlebar bag on a bicycle.

I already have the X-Pro1 and a few lenses.  But not the 27mm.  I'm debating going with my X-Pro1 and the 27mm vs getting the X100T.  Looking at Fuji's web site, it appears the X100T is about half an inch shorter in every dimension.  On paper, that doesn't seem like a lot.  But reality can be much different.

Thanks.

(And I realize the right way to do this is to actually try them out in person.  But I'm about a week away from getting to the store so I thought I'd ask here first.)

On a recent trip to Paris I took both the X-Pro1 & 27mm  as well as the  X100T.

On days when the weather wasn't great and also when going out at night the X100T worked perfectly. With the lens hood removed the X100T fitted comfortably in my coat pocket.

The other obvious advantage of having both Fuji cameras, rather than a Panasonic or Sony, is the similarity of the button layout and menu interface etc. with the Fujis.

Best,

Mike

Ever thought about picking up a used X30? While it's not at the level of the X-Pro1 or the X100T it's a wonderful camera along with the majority of the features of both of those cameras at a smaller size.

Just my 2 cents worthless...

Ross

Sony RX100 mkII ? Same price range, slightly larger sensor, 20MP BSI, 2 more stops of native ISO, roughly same zoom length, only draw back, the Sony got slower aperture lens.

Panasonic GM1 ? A bit cheaper body only, much bigger sensor, can use any of the ocean of lenses in the m43 mount, at least one higher stop in native ISO (not certain if native is a 6400 or 12800on the GM1).

Yeah, a bit crowed in that area...

Thanks for all the suggestions.  For reasons of feel, familiarity and really liking the pics Fuji's make, I've decided to stick with a Fuji.

I was able to compare the X-Pro1/27mm vs X100T.  While on paper it doesn't seem much different, the X100T definitely fit in my pocket better.  Being in complete trial mode here, I have a used X100S coming in.  I'm looking forward to trying it out and see how much use it gets compared to my X-Pro1.

Thanks again for all your help.

Just adding to this post; along with my X-Pro2 which arrived 2 days ago, I also purchased a Fuji X70.

I'm really taken by this little gem of a camera, palm sized, perfectly pocketable, discrete and with great image quality.

Great for an everyday, everywhere camera.

The pics of Kleo and the Daffodil are straight out of camera Jpegs no PP. The full size quality of the images is unbelievable.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Wold you recommend this? You see, I just sold my X-T1 and bought an X-Pro 2, and for some reason it's thrown the overlap with my X100T into sharper focus. Maybe it's because they're both rangefinder style. But actually, there are many occasions where I use my X100T where the XPro would be just as convenient, especially with a compact lens. However, I don't have a quality camera compact enough to use on occasions where I wouldn't normally think to bring a camera, or where carrying a camera would be conspicuous. But the X70 looks to me like it might be that camera. So I've 99% decided to put my X100T on eBay and order one. A good idea?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Warwick

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks.

If you're OK with fixed lens and 28mm then go Ricoh GR. It's pocketable and made for one handed operation with a sharp lens wide open. I have both fuji and ricoh and the GR is much quicker and easier to operate in a flash. Downside is the high iso isn't as good, iso 3200 is max if you're going for full resolution.

Guest thiswayup

Neither the X100T nor the X-E2 is really pocketable in my opinion. It's not only size but also weight. Sure, if you generally carry big blocks of stuff in your pockets, then why not, but most people carry a wallet, keys and a cell phone – compared to this an X100T is massive. 

The X70 is quite a bit smaller, but a Sony RX100 for example is more versatile with a zoom while being about the same size. I

I think everyone gets that a zoom lens is more versatile, yes. But the RX100 is less, often much less, versatile  because of iso and grain limits. I tried to use a GM1, which has similar performance with the default pancake zoom, for street photography in a UK autumn - and it was a trying experience.

Guest thiswayup

If you're OK with fixed lens and 28mm then go Ricoh GR. It's pocketable and made for one handed operation with a sharp lens wide open. I have both fuji and ricoh and the GR is much quicker and easier to operate in a flash. Downside is the high iso isn't as good, iso 3200 is max if you're going for full resolution.

Actually the main downside of the GR, as most owners will tell you, is that it sucks in dust via the expanding and contracting lens. Not just dust but hairs. Which stick to the sensor. And then Ricoh want $200 to  clean the damn thing.

It also has mediocre dynamic range. Great ergoonmics and lens though, I agree.

Actually the main downside of the GR, as most owners will tell you, is that it sucks in dust via the expanding and contracting lens. Not just dust but hairs. Which stick to the sensor. And then Ricoh want $200 to  clean the damn thing.

To put this in perspective, it's only a minority of owners who have had this dust issue (though they are understandably vocal about it).   For a truly pocketable fixed lens APS-C, IMO the GR is still the class leader.  Snap focus, one handed operation, and sharpest lens still give it an edge over the very nice X70.

It's the same sensor as d7000 and in raw I've found dynamic range to be good, not as good as my d750 but better than fuji so far.

The dust issue does happen but I've never had a hair in it. I've used suction to get dust moving and there's a diy floating around for other methods. But, I've been shooting with the GR for almost 3 years and it's held up better than my fuji bodies. It's just a crazy good camera. Wish they made a new GR model soon.

• 2 months later...