I have an XT1. Would you recommend an XPRO1?

Hi All.

I've been a reader of this forum for a few months and this is the first time I'm asking a question. 

Here is my story. I had been a Nikon shooter since 2007 with the D40 being the first camera. I've gone through a number of cameras since then and about  6 months ago sold my beloved D600 in order to get a Fuji. I LOVED the images from the D600 when it came to portraits. They had a unique lovely film look to them that I have yet to duplicate with the XT1. Don't get me wrong, the XT1 is super sharp and I only like shooting JPEGs with it but I can't help but miss the look of the D600 when it came to portraits.  I have read on countless forums about the waxy skin tones with  some of the fuji cameras. I have my NR set to -2 but the skin still seems either a) a bit too smooth or B) a bit too digital looking.  

I have also read that this is inherent to the X-trans sensor II processor. So my question is simple. Would buying an Xpro1 meet the needs that I am describing above? Since they are dirt cheap I am considering this as a possible option. OR would I be better off to save up my money and get an Xpro2 instead? 

Any advice is greatly appreciated and I figure if I'm going to ask for it I'd want to ask for it from you guys. Thanks again! 

If you'll be ok with the rangefinder style camera, then I think you would get excellent results shooting portraits with the X-Pro1. It won't be as quick to operate as the X-T1, but it's not a dinosaur either. Check out the work people have done with the X-Pro1 online and see if the results appeal to you. Personally, I prefer the X-Pro1 over the X-T1 (in fact, I sold my X-T1 to fund the X-Pro2). 

Thanks for the replay sir. You know it's funny that say that b/c I kind of don't feel a connection when shooting with my XT1. It just doesn't really get me excited to shoot with it, if that makes sense. I may end up liking the ability to slow down and take pics as it might be more enjoyable. Thanks again!

My first Fujifilm X camera was the X100S, so the Rang-finder style won me over, but I do shoot a Canon 5D3.  I blew out my elbow and ended up getting an X-T1 over the X-Pro 1 because it was better at AF and the EVF was amazing.  I have healed up (long time coming), but I still like the X-T1 with the 56mm F1.2 over my Canon for portraits. Because I shoot indoor sports on occasion the 5D3 and 70-200 F2.8 will be around for the time being, but I am getting the X-Pro 2 (we will see if that changes things though I am not expecting the AF to keep up with basketball)... the 1/250th flash sync was enough to push me that direction and my love for the X100 series.

I would imagine the images from a Nikon sensor or on par with the X-T1 though.  The Camera Store YouTube has a comparison of the X-Pro 2 and the D7200 and they are on par... both APS-C, but I have to imagine it is in the same ballpark as the D750 FF sensor as well.

Please elaborate why you prefer the PRO1?

Honestly, for me, it's all about the OVF.  Most of my film cameras are compact rangefinders and I love to shoot them, they are just fun to shoot.

I also love the Classic Chrome profile too.  I love how the camera can be configured (all three screens can be customized).  The size.  The way it handles.  For me, its just a joy to use.

I think this is kind of backwards. Without seeing comparisons of what you need recommending either an X-Pro1 or X-Pro2 or a Leica M for that matter is totally useless. If you are having a G.A.S. attack so be it and I think that's what's actually going on. 

Regarding the results: post pictures of what you like and comparisons from your X-T1 and it might be possible to give some hints. If you run into waxy skin, shoot raw, done. If you don't like some of the color/sharpness/noise reduction – shoot raw, define a personal preset of the setting as you want them to be and you're done. All without having to invest hundreds of dollars in new camera gear.

Sorry to say, but everybody who really thinks that going from one camera generation to the next will improve their images is day dreaming. To improve your images there are much simpler and much harder things to do: take better photos, learn to use your gear right, do proper post. That applies to all of us I believe, not a rant towards you.

Now, if this is just an excuse to get more Fuji gear: go for it. Everything that sells gear for Fuji is good for all of us ...

X-Pro1 has Classic Chrome? Mine doesn't. :mellow:

I had thought it did, but I was wrong.  I shoot Raw+Fine and in LR I set my profile when I process.  The Classic Chrome is available on any shots taken with the XT-1, but not the Pro1.  I got them reversed.  Sorry.

Edited by CRAusmus

I had thought it did, but I was wrong.  I shoot Raw+Fine and in LR I set my profile when I process.  The Classic Chrome is available on any shots taken with the XT-1, but not the Pro1.  I got them reversed.  Sorry.

Ah...no apologies needed. You had me going for a while and thought I missed out on a crucial update Kaizen update!

Now I'm just piqued with the acros on the x-Pro2. :rolleyes:

I think this is kind of backwards. Without seeing comparisons of what you need recommending either an X-Pro1 or X-Pro2 or a Leica M for that matter is totally useless. If you are having a G.A.S. attack so be it and I think that's what's actually going on. 

Regarding the results: post pictures of what you like and comparisons from your X-T1 and it might be possible to give some hints. If you run into waxy skin, shoot raw, done. If you don't like some of the color/sharpness/noise reduction – shoot raw, define a personal preset of the setting as you want them to be and you're done. All without having to invest hundreds of dollars in new camera gear.

Sorry to say, but everybody who really thinks that going from one camera generation to the next will improve their images is day dreaming. To improve your images there are much simpler and much harder things to do: take better photos, learn to use your gear right, do proper post. That applies to all of us I believe, not a rant towards you.

Now, if this is just an excuse to get more Fuji gear: go for it. Everything that sells gear for Fuji is good for all of us ...

Very good information and I can't argue with you regarding how to improve my images. However I must admit for the past few days I have been shooting with the XP1 and I really enjoy it compared to the XT1. It may be slow but I don't notice it at all. I also find the images to be less "digital" compared to the XT1. There is also slightly more grain at higher ISOs which I do like. Considering it was half the price of my XT1 I really can't complain  :). My XT1 is going up for sale. Thanks again for all the great input and advice. The next thing I need to do is definitely learn to improve my pics. 

Edited by Yoyo

Great that it works for you. Again, the whole thing about image quality or looks really applies to JPEG only, which might or might not be important to a person. It's not so much for me although I do use JPEGs quite often for social media.

It's awesome that you have found what you like. The X-Pro series certainly gives a different shooting experience than the X-T series so if that style suits you better, perfect. 

• 10 months later...

Going from the X-T1 to the X-Pro 1 would be a backward step in all sorts of ways. Pretty much everything on the X-T1 is better and faster.

I am late to the party, but after using the X-Pro1 for a week exclusively again, I disagree. The X-T1 is faster indeed (I would be a fool to say otherwise), but the optical viewfinder and the handling of the X-Pro1 are still superior to me.

I love the hybrid viewfinder. I mainly use the optical VF, but a flick of the switch (or a press of the thumb wheel in MF mode) brings me to the EVF when I need it.

The buttons are in the right place, and have the right size on the X-Pro1. Of course this is subjective.

Being a left eyed shooter, the X-Pro1 viewfinder location works better for me than that of the X-T1

The tactile experience of the X-Pro1 is better for me than the X-T1 ... of course that does not make better photos ;)

And equally important, I love the SOOC JPEG images of the X-Pro1. I know the X-T1 basically has the same sensor, but the JPEGs out of the camera do look differently for me.