If you only had 3-4 fuji lenses what would they be?

wben25

• 2 months later...

My choices, in order of actual use:

1. XF 23 f/2

2. XF 33 f/2

3. XF 16 f/2.8

4. XF 55-200

Plus, for just having fun, via manual adapters:

5. Olympus Zuiko 35 /f2.8

6. Olympus Zuiko 50 f/1.8

7. Olympus Zuiko 135 f/3.5

8. Olympus Zuiko 75-150 f/4

9. Nikon Nikkor 50 f/1.8

I just shoot people, things and places I go, no single style prevails. All on a pair of X-T30-II bodies. I like the compact lenses over the larger, wider apertures.

• 3 weeks later...

My four lenses would be:

16mm f/1.4 R WR, 23mm f/1.4 R LM WR, 33mm f/1.4 R LM WR, 50-140mm f/2.8 R LM OIS WR

I am a huge fan of 24mm, 35mm, and 50mm full-frame equivalent primes. I learned to photograph at these focal lengths. I'm such a stickler, I refuse to get the 18mm f/1.4 over the 16mm because of the ~27mm equivalent. Someone else may prefer that focal length, but I'd rather go wider. I don't care if the 18mm f/1.4 has superior autofocus, the 16mm f/1.4 is a marvelous lens. 23mm would probably be on my camera body most of the time because for the "normal" focal length I greatly prefer the 35mm full-frame equivalent, but I'd switch to 33mm (50mm full-frame) for portraits or some street / landscape photography. I flip between the 23mm and 33mm all the time. 50-140mm is such an amazing zoom, it could cover the telephoto end of the spectrum easy, especially for landscape photography, but also useful for portraits.

With this kit there's coverage from 16-140mm with some brilliant low-light capabilities and all weather sealed! If I was shooting mainly portraits I would swap the 23mm out for the 90mm f/2 in a heartbeat. Not the hugest fan of the 56mm f/1.2 but hopefully the newer version will grow on me.

I'm a general photographer meaning I generally shoot whatever I see that's interesting except weddings. Don't do those anymore. I own 14 Fuji and non fuji lenses and the one's I use most are the 10-24 (OIS), 16-55 F2.8, 70-300 (+1.4TC), and the 150-600. Those cover everything I do, the other lenses I've paired up with the various fuji cameras I've owned that the lenses they're paired with were developed together.

• 6 months later...

It's been almost a year since I worked out what lenses I wanted and I am now happy with what I have ... at the moment.  Hehe. Looking at my kit bag as it stands today, if I were to condense it to meet the requirements of this post I would have to go with:

16-80 F4 kit lens - I realised just how good and flexible this lens is.  After all, it is a kit lens.
80mm F2.8 macro - I love macro and the lens is a beast.  And it works exceptionally well with the 1.4x teleconverter!
Viltrox 13mm F2.8 - for those huge landscape vistas
Fuji 50mm F2 - my go to portrait option.  I'm not a professional shooter and this is a lovely lens.

I did go out on a day trip recently and took the three Fujicron lenses (23, 35 and 50) with me but spent way too much time swapping between them and afterwards realised that I could have got by perfectly adequately with just the 16-80 lens.  I'll keep the 23 and 35mm F2s for low light street photography in the city.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a very good question and one that I wrestle with a lot, partly because I like lenses a lot and like to buy them but I like to go ut with a small bag.

Let’s try with three …….

If you like zooms and are rich 8-16 f2.8 (love it), 16-55 2.8, 50-150.

If you like zooms and not so rich 10-24 (which one depends on richness and if you need WR), the 16-50 3.5 to 5.6 and the relatively inexpensive 55-200 seem to get a lot of love.

If you prefer primes then it gets harder, again depending on how big your wallet is and where in the range you spend most time.

I’m really looking forward to seeing some comparison shots from the new 8mm f3.5 vs the 8-16. As much as I love 8-16 I find myself mostly using it at the wide end and the 8mm f3.5 is tiny and light in comparison.

I have the new 18 1.4 and 33 1.4 the first of those, in particular, is spectacular.

The 90 f2 might not be new but it stellar.

I have the new 56 as well and although it does seem really good, I’ve not yet used it enough to decide.

P.s. I left Fuji for a while to get Leica M10-R and bought four lenses so I have some idea of what really good lenses are like and just how good some of hôtesse Fuji offerings are. So good in fact, I’ve just decided not to buy a Q3 🙂 apples and pears I know but what I’m saying is that the Fuji lenses are certainly worth the money!

Next let’s do bags!!!!!

If Fuji lenses only, I would go with the original 4 :  14/2.8, 18/2.0, 35/1.4, 60/2.4.  #2 and #4 in this list are very underrated. They do bring what we are looking for in vintage lenses

If we allow Voigtlander in the list, then my list would be : 14/2.8, Voigt 23/1.2, 60/2.4 and the wonderful 70-300