If you only had 3-4 fuji lenses what would they be?

wben25

My Fujinon lens line up is 16, 23, 56, 60macro, 10-24, 18-55, 18-135, 50-140 + 1.4xTC, 2xTC. The 16 & 23 are f1.4 versions and razor sharp.

All the above lenses are very good, which leaves me with the problem of which ones to take and when, quite a nice problem really!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey!

I came over from the Sony camp and bought an XT-2 a week ago. I currently use and love:

- 10-24 for landscape

- 18-55 as a very nice all purpose lens

- 55-200 to complement the 18-55 on the long end

- 56 1.2 for portraits

I love the first three and even after a week I think I'd never get rid of them. The 56 1.2 is a mixed bag for me so far, have to use 1/250 to 1/500 to get sharp images. Maybe I'm too used to having OIS all the time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I currently own

Wide - 18/2

Normal - 23/2

Tele - 50/2

And a Samyang 8mm fisheye used sparingly for dramatic perspective in close-up action photos

I’m happy with that set - but I’d like an updated WR 16 or 18 f2 to replace the old 18mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Warwick

• 3 weeks later...

XF 16mm f/1.4 (My favorite by far.)

XF 56mm f/1.2

XF 80mm f/2.8 (Soon, please! Will almost certainly become my new favorite. Sorry, sixteen.)

Samyang/Rokinon 12mm f/2.0

Obviously, gap in the middle there. If I ever have the courage to street shoot (extremely unlikely), the XF 23mm f/2 would get used much more.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

That’s a lot like asking… “how long is a piece of string?”.

It all depends on what your interested are… Landscape, Portraits, Sports, Nature, Travel, General, etc.

It also depends on your budget… limited or unlimited funds.

May also depend on your skill level… Amateur, Enthusiast or Professional.

The camera body also needs to be considered.

Is this limited to only Fujifilm/Fujinon glass or does it also include adapted lenses and other (non-Fuji) brands?

Speaking as an enthusiast and an owner of a X100V, X-E2S & X-T2 and without any additional parameters…            

• XF 18-135mm
  • XF 27mm
  • XF 50mm f2.0
  • XF 60mm
Edited by Canuck57

Great thought provoking thread! My vote:

If you like primes:

You kind of have to get a macro, so, the 80 mm f/2.

You want a fast middle length lens, so, the 35 f/1.4.

You need wide, and the wider the better (you can always crop), so, the 14 f/2.8

And something long. I guess the 200 mm f/2, but it sure is expensive. I prefer primes and have all the lenses above, but not the 200, as it would break my bank.

If, like me, you don't mind a zoom, you could substitute the 100-400 mm f/4.5-5.6 for the 200. It is expensive but several times less so than the 200. That's what I did. I don't think long zooms suffer as much pincushion/barrel as the wide zooms do, though I'm not sure and haven't tested this.

If you want two zooms, substitute the 18-135 mm f/3.5-5.6 for the 35. I have this zoom and I really like it as a do-anything lens. Though, it's pretty hefty.

If you are happy with adding close up lenses instead of having a macro, you could drop the macro and add the 50 mm f/1.0, which is just fast fast fast. It can really narrow the depth of field, much more so than any of the above. I have this lens and it's amazing. But it's heavy and costly! And it's big in diameter close to the camera, which means my camera only fits on my tripod pointed in one direction (which happens to cooperate well with the knob levers on the tripod).

I only have 3:

+ 18/1.4 is my main lens, and I love it very much for pretty much any subject, I use this 70% of the time.
+ 35/1.4 is my "thoughtful" people lens, or used when I know I'll have a lot of interesting distant background to capture, or when I want that artsy blurred background look (say, distant mountains behind my subject) that the 18 would push too far back. I use it 25% of the time.
+ 60/2.4 is my glam lens. I very rarely use it because I don't really do glam. But it's an amazing lens and cheap, so I keep it around for that wow effect.  5% of the time.

I'm thinking of adding a 27/2.8 or maybe the Voightlander 23/1.2 as my compact lens (for when I'm somewhere where the camera is a bit of an afterthought). I used to use the 18/2 for this, but 1) I think for those situations something between 18 and 35 is more useful, and 2) the quirks of the IQ started to bother me (although it took years for me to come around to that, it's way better than people say).

• 2 weeks later...

I have 4 but plan on 1 more  I only really need 4  

Primes:

18 1.4 (my favorite by far)

56 1.2 (don’t have yet I am waiting on the mark II version coming later this year.)

Zooms:

10-24 4 WR (for landscapes and bright light walk around)

55-200 (for landscapes and a bit of outdoor bright light kids sports)

16-80 (have it as the kit lens and I like it but I could give it up in a heart beat. I plan on using a x100v as a walk around and may sell this lens as I don’t use it enough and it has decent value.

I find myself coming back to this thread regularly as I am at that stage of working out what I need, rather than what I want.  I recently invested in the X-T4 with 16-80 kit lens and got the camera bag (Lowepro Flipside Trek 450 rucksack) that suits my needs perfectly.  The carrying capacity of the camera area of the bag is fairly limited, and covers the camera, filters, flash unit and around 3/4 average sized lenses.  Now, I am not 'unnecessarily restricting myself' by limiting myself to 3-4 lenses - I could buy a bigger bag and raid the magic money tree to get any lens I want but I think this is a very valid exercise in affordability and compromise, but still being able to achieve what you want.

At present, I have:

- 16-80 kit lens

- 35mm F2

And top of my list to get is the 80mm macro lens.

I have also been looking at what zoom lens to get.  I love macro photography, hence my first choice of lens to buy is the 80mm, but as a secondary photography interest I like landscape and wildlife photography in equal measure.  This leaves me in a bit of a quandary as the better landscape zoom is the 10-24mm, whereas for wildlife I would be better off with the 100-400mm.  Maybe I can squeeze the camera and 4 lenses in my bag :)

Edit: I have been doing more research on telephoto lenses and discovered that the 70-300 will be a far better fit for my needs, budget and restricted space - it is a much smaller and lighter lens with very good quality results and will be a seamless fit with the 16-80mm kit lens.

Edited by Heccie Thump

• 1 month later...