First Test of 56mm f1.2

gussie

I just got my new 56mm yesterday, got to try it out this morning. Pretty happy with the swirly bokeh in the second photo.
Thought I'd share....

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

That looks nice, is this the normal 56 or the APD version?

I went with the 'normal' - definitely sufficient for my needs. Ken Rockwell states that the "APD lens adds a non-removable dark-edged filter inside the lens next to its diaphragm. Otherwise it's the same lens as the original the Fujinon 56mm f/1.2. This filter helps improve bokeh wide-open, but also loses some light. It doesn't make this an f/1.2 lens with a smooth aperture edge, it becomes the same as an f/1.7 lens with a smooth, instead of hard, aperture edge."

I figured the extra bokeh wasn't worth the $300 increase in price.

Edited by gussie

I love when this lens gets the swirly bokeh. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with coma or not - anyone know? I was reading about wider lenses and astro photography and that got me thinking about it. Either way, I love the look.

I considered the APD version as I mostly use the 56 for portraiture, but I went with the normal one for the lower price and potentially faster autofocus. Most times I see no real difference between the two, short of peeping bokeh at 100%. Where I do see a fairly large difference is with busy backgrounds like trees; the regular version still looks good, but the APD version is a lot softer and less busy. I don't necessarily find it better, just a different look.

I could definitely see owning both if I was a full-time photographer, or if I had lots of money. The regular version is the safer choice and better all-around lens, but the few times I think the APD would make a noticeable difference, it would be quite noticeable, IMHO.