AF-L doesn't work with face detection turned on

Guest Ridgeback

Seems logical to me that if you set it to face detection, ie. lock onto and focus on a face it detects, you can't at the same time time tell it to lock focus onto something else.

But hey ... what do I know?

Seems logical to me that if you set it to face detection, ie. lock onto and focus on a face it detects, you can't at the same time time tell it to lock focus onto something else.

But hey ... what do I know?

It's not really logical, since when you half press the shutter and it detects a face, it still "locks" the focus if you are in AF-S mode. There's no logical reason why the AF-L button on the back shouldn't be allowed to do the same thing as the shutter button half-press in the case where face detection is on.

But there we have it, it's a quirk you have to accommodate for, and one of a number of things that make face detection not worth using, at least for me.

Edited by davidmold

Guest Ridgeback

Apparently it is only obvious to me that AF-S and AF-L are two very different things. And one doesn't interfere with face detection while the other does and is prevented from doing so.

But as usual there is not much point in bringing intelligent arguments to the table. Think I'll just stick to reading the 'discussions' between my betters and the great masters for amusement.

Apparently it is only obvious to me that AF-S and AF-L are two very different things. And one doesn't interfere with face detection while the other does and is prevented from doing so.

But as usual there is not much point in bringing intelligent arguments to the table. Think I'll just stick to reading the 'discussions' between my betters and the great masters for amusement.

I would heartily agree that AF-S and AF-L are two very different things. But I don't see why that means AF-L can't be used to lock the focus after a face-detection has occurred. So I still don't understand your point, I'm really not trying to oppress you, and I apologize for being unintelligent, but that's my burden I guess.

Edited by davidmold