Hi All,

My name is Marcin, and I am new here, so please forgive me if I started the topic in a wrong place.

The thing is both cameras are now equally priced (more or less) and I'm thinking about transitioning from my Nikon D7000 to X System at looong last. I like the X-Pro1 style with the OVF and it's bigger size (I have large hands) but the camera is getting long in the tooth, and X-E2 just got the 4.0 firmware update, but I'm slightly worried about EVF since I'm used to shoot with a DSLR… so which camera to choose? I shoot mostly corporate/business portraits with off camera flash both on location and in studio. I know I will eventually buy X-Pro2, but this has to wait for now. I also know I will be buying 56 mm f/1.2 lens and working mostly with it (and I know the OVF on X-Pro1 won't be very useful with this lens). So many questions… :) Also, I wear glasses (though I can imagine myself switching to contact lenses).

Thanks in advance,

Marcin.

Welcome Marcin.

Of course all I will say reflects only my personal opinion and I am sure some other folks will chip in saying the exact opposite. It’s a fora’s life!

Unless the OVF ( optical view finder) Is essential to you ( and you won’t always find it easy to find a suitable correction lens for the OVF/EVF), the X-E2 is a way more modern camera than the X-Pro 1.

After the most recent upgrade the difference between the two cameras grew very big! Especially if you intend to use any film simulation and make the best use of the autofocus.

The sensor between the tow camera is not the exact same one and some people actually prefer the X Pro1 generation because of the so called waxing if you shoot above 1600 ISO.

I don’t find this a problem 9 I rarely would use that high a sensitivity, but there you go. On the other hand the X-E2 sensor can make use of a better autofocus capability.

Personally I own the X-E2 and the X-T1.

Couldn’t be happier.

Good luck!

Hi.

I bought both these, X-Pro1 to me and X-E2 to my wife.

Got it with two lenses, 18 + 35/1.4 and later a 90 mm f2, E2 have the 18-55 zoom.

Using glases on P1 is no problem.

With the 90 mm you cant use OVF.

Have not tried 56 mm yet.

Both work ofc. E2 is faster with AF.

P1 feels more robust and "pro".

I will also laterbuy the P2 so it was nota hard decision for me.

Best is to try them both at a store and then decide.

Good luck.

You will be happy with any of them i think.

Sent from my Nexus 6 mobile

Thanks guys! I'm used to shooting with a 50mm f/1.4 nikkor and find it very flexible, so naturally I hope to get similar results form 56mm Fuji lens. The results I saw are nothing short of spectacular. I also plan on getting the 23 and probably 35mm later on. No by biggest worry is the size of the camera body and balance with said lenses. On one hand I'm tired of my DSLR's weight and bulk, on the other my big hands can swallow D7000 so it looks much smaller. But the weight stays the same. That's why (as so many before me) I'm looking forward to switching to Fuji. How comfortable do you find shooting with the 56mm on E-X2 for example? Waxing is not a big issue since my portrait work is mostly kept to low ISO. The occasional wedding is a different matter, though… I can keep the Nikon for a while until I get the X-Pro2, I guess :) So… I'm leaning towards X-E2 for now, getting 56 and 23mm lenses and then buying the X-Pro2 body. Again, thanks for chiming in. I just can't wait for the switch. But the gear is hard to get hands on where I live (Lodz, Poland), so I'll have to rely on internet buys. If a store has X-Pro1, they won't have X-E2 or vice versa – first world problems, I know :)

The most important reason to buy a X-Pro 1 would have been for me ( I have considered doing that before buying the X-E2 just a week or so before the firmware upgrade) the price of the kit with 18 and 27mm at €849 or €899.

But I have opted for a X-E2 largely because i had already used a camera that size before (X-E1) and the fact that now the software of the two cameras looked pretty much like my other X-T1.

The 56mm is certainly a very nice lens but the balance with a lighter camera will be rather odd at least at first. Personally I went for the 60mm for portraits and the size and weight of the 60mm is perfect (provided you get rid of the stupid lens hood and change it for something more practical as I did). I have all the Bokeh I want with that lens and if I need more than I have some other tricks up my sleeve with the tilt adapter or the lens turbo adapter which I use on legacy lenses.

There are many ways to skin the same or different cats.

Good luck!

Somehow the Polish Fujifilm branch is stagnant when it comes to promos, bundles and to be honest even their own website – right now all the information about X-Pro2 there is in English only! We don't get so many price drops an kit bundles here either. But since I'm not really interested in the lenses that were bundled with X-Pro1 that offer is not so hot for me. If in some future I need a wide lens I would like to go wider than 18mm, and would rather get the 23mm than 27mm. So I guess X-E2 it will be + the 56mm :)

Hello Marcin

I can't add anything on the X-Pro1, but I do have the X-E2 and I'm delighted with it. I sold all my Canon SLR gear a year ago (6D full frame and 5 lenses), having already bought the X-E2 from a friend, and i'm now totally Fuji.

I use it with the 18-135, 10-24 and 27mm lenses and do not find any problem with the balance or handling of the camera with the bigger lenses. The 27mm pancake is a dream.

I also bought the X-T1. This may sound daft but I regularly take a camera bag with me that has the 2 bodies in, with a different lens on each so that I don't have to swap lenses in the field. The strange thing is - I actually prefer the rangefinder feel and handling of the X-E2 to the X-T1. I can't imagine going back to a DSLR - but then I don't do sports or wildlife, so I'm not best qualified to comment.

I absolutely love the EVF. There is maybe a quarter second delay in eye activation, but it's never been a problem for me. I've almost forgotten what an OVF looks like!

Best of luck, and let us know how you get on.

Cameras with direct viewfinders aren't well suited for longer lenses, as the parallax error will kick in pretty hard (even with corrections). You can't frame 100% accurate with direct viewfinders, that's just the nature of the beast. Expect to use the EVF 95% of the time with the 56mm lens (also the X-Pro1's EVF isn't as good as the EVFs of later Fuji cameras).

If you're a Rangefinder/direct-optical-viewfinder-camera type of person, working mainly with 28-50mm equivalent lenses, mostly stopped down, with a documentary, snapshot style kind of shooting where accurate framing is less important then being able to see outside the frames and having no blackout during the shot: You'll like the X-Pros OVF.

If you're a SLR type of person, shooting a lot with 50mm and longer equivalent lenses wanting accurancy in framing and being able to see the depth of field; you'll propably find the OVF pretty useless.

Coming from DSLRs you'll find the EVF propably way more comfortable and useful then the OVF.

Pozdrowienia z Berlina :)

My recommendation would be for the X-E2. I also have large hands and it takes just a little bit to adjust to the smaller camera, but no more than I does from going from a larger DSLR to smaller one. The X-Pro1 is a nice camera, but i am afraid you will find it a little slow. I have not personally used the X-Pro1, however, I have used the X-E1 with the same processor and sensor. The AF was very slow by comparison as well as the EVF and LCD lag. It felt sluggish in every way. The X-E2 with firmware 4 feels near identical to my X-T1. I have an X100T that has an OVF which I like, but it has some features that the X-Pro1 is also missing. Like the corner digital range finder that would help you pick your focus. I think for using the camera for portraits with fast lenses, you would need to use the EVF for accuracy so the OVF wouldn't be as useful. My experience with the X-E1 was disappointing overall whether using legacy lenses with MF or Fuji lenses with AF. The lag in the viewfinder sort of ruined the experience. The X-E2 is a fantastic camera.

OK, thanks Jackalized and Nick05, it seems my problem hav been solved. I think I read everything there was to read about both cameras and all of you guys confirm. X-E2 it will be. The HVF is tempting but as you wrote – I would need at least X-100T's solution, so I will wait for X-Pro2 to fill this place. I would get X-100T, but I really need the 56 mm for my work. So X-E2 comes first.

Thanks a bunch!

Guest Ridgeback

The X-pro 1 is the dog's furry bits and you can't go wrong there. It is only getting long in the tooth for people who value the latest gadgetry over a creative eye and assume that a micro-seconds faster auto-focus will suddenly turn their photos into great art.

However, since you're ultimately aiming for an X-Pro 2 I'd recommend getting the X-E2 now.

(Personally I'd get an X100T on my way to an X-Pro 2 but I assume that is not an option since you need the flexibility of exchangeable lenses for work.)

I couldn't care for speed less if I only shot landscapes or architecture, but since i primarily shoot portraits… being able to see when my subject blinks for example or has their best phase of smile, a grimace etc. is crucial. So a lagging EVF is not my dream. And this is the main reason I'll go with X-E2 for now. And precise framing. And since I would use EVF on X-Pro1 to get that with a longer lens… the answer is now clear.

(Personally I'd get an X100T on my way to an X-Pro 2 but I assume that is not an option since you need the flexibility of exchangeable lenses for work.)

If X-100T came with that 56mm lens I wouldn't hesitate ;) I like it a lot (oh, leaf shutter…) and maybe someday I will get to a point of working with it solely (like Zack Arias wrote – a minimalist dream), but for now I economically depend on making regular people look their best and so short tele is the weapon of choice. I don't have the luxury of working with only beautiful models and people so much self esteem, they don't care if they look „nice”. But I will get an X-100-whaterver-the-letter-then-it-wil-have someday. Maybe instead of 23mm lens… :) Oh, I already like the whole voyage.

I have both of those cameras. To me, the X-Pro1 has a nicer "feel" to it - it's robust, and somehow its somewhat slower performance is charming. I use it almost exclusively with the 35mm in B&W.

But honestly if you're looking for usefulness, the X-E2 wins. Especially with the new firmware, it wins on speed and the focus system is quicker and more usable. With a well thought out set of FN button settings it's more of a competitor for SLRs. The EVF is better - higher res and faster refresh than the X-Pro1. Coming from an SLR viewfinder with TTL view, EVF will make more sense to you that the X-Pro1 OVF mode. In OVF you have to do some mental correction for parallax, since the OVF view is from the corner of the camera and not through the lens, and focus is tricky because you don't necessarily know where exactly the focus point you placed falls in the field of view and you don't directly see focus in the finder. With the new firmware, the X-E2 is an extremely strong performer - it's the same an an X-T10 but with the finder on the left.

The strange thing is - I actually prefer the rangefinder feel and handling of the X-E2 to the X-T1.

There is absolutely nothing strange here!

I prefer shooting X-E1 (yes, the sluggish one) over X-T1. I believe with X-E2 it's even more fun.

It just sticks to the hand right away and has all the buttons and viewfinder in right places.

I happen to use both these cameras. The X-E2 is technically superior but I still prefer to carry the X-Pro1. I frame with the EVF and then flick to the OVF if I really need to time a shot.

Personally speaking I plan to replace my X-E2 with the X-Pro2 once the price gets down to a sensible level.

Edited by frod

I have an X-E1 and an X-T1, and recently upgraded to a second-hand X-E2. With the new 4.0 firmware, the X-E2 really is on par (performance wise) with the X-T1. I'm still thinking about picking up an X-Pro1 though, because like you, I just love the look of the thing. The XPro series is also heavier and feels more substantial in the hand. I've never been a fan of the OVF though, and even if I had one, would probably not use it.

Also, I handled the X-Pro2 recently at a Fuji event, and to me it didn't seem like the autofocus performance was substantially better than the X-T1. That was the primary reason I decided to go with a used X-E2 as opposed to shelling out $1700 for the latest and greatest.

• 2 weeks later...

Also, I handled the X-Pro2 recently at a Fuji event, and to me it didn't seem like the autofocus performance was substantially better than the X-T1. That was the primary reason I decided to go with a used X-E2 as opposed to shelling out $1700 for the latest and greatest.

There are more reasons for an X-Pro2 for me (x-sync speed, and HVF, WR…) but my budget says it's not made of rubber ;-) It's good to hear you're satisfied with X-E2 – that's tha one for me this turn around too :-)

Hi Marcin, I have an X-E2 and just love it with the new firmware 4.0. It now has 'eye detection', before the firmware update it had just the face detection, as you do portraits this may be a bonus over the Pro1. If the body is too small you could try an accessory grip.

As far as the viewfinder goes, you might never want to look through a dslr viewfinder prism ever again! I play around in manual in low light, it is great fun, you really can almost see in the dark, the EVF is utterly wonderful for WYSIWYG creativity.

When I was researching to buy, a couple of years ago, I read on forums that Fuji UK sell refurbished stock, the consensus was that this is a great way to go (if you go to Fuji UK you can read the details). My body (came with the 18-55), and later the 14mm and 35mm are refurbished by Fuji, I can only recommend this to you if can manage to buy from them.

Hope that helps, Chig.

Hello! My first post here. Moving over from the OM-D, I just bought an X-E2 last week but I am returning it because of a couple of dead pixels I noticed after a day of shoot.  While it is on its way to the store, I am debating to replace it with X-pro 1.

I did a firmware update, and really the camera is wonderful, besides is plasticy parts.  I am happy with my shooting but I was just  learning to work with the camera. My concern is not the latest technology but Fuji's film like tone quality in the images than many praise on the earlier X-pro compare to the newer X -Trans processor.

For a photo project, I mostly shoot with my film camera, the Pentax K1000 with the a 50mm f1.4 lens accompanied by  the OM-D and most of time i used only the Pentax shots. I am looking forward of working with the Fuji, but which one?