XF23mm F2 rumors

Patrick FR

I think the images on the frontpage are a bit wishful thinking, what do you think?

Most 23mm (35) lenses are bigger than 35mm (50) lenses, even de Fujifilm 23mm f/1.4 is bigger than the 35 f/1.4. So if they're going to develop the new 23, 35 and 50 f/ 2.0 with the same philosophy it's probable the 23mm is going to be bigger like the "official" mock-ups show.

Sidenote: it's interesting that most pancake lenses are 40mm (35mm equiv.) like the m43 20mm Panasonic, 27mm Fuji and loads of FF lenses. Also great quality lenses.

If true, the 23 being longer than the 35 makes sense to me, from an optics point of view. The main point of the new 23, 35, and 50 is to not obstruct an OVF while not losing IQ. The lenses are not designed to minimize size, per se. The old 23 is longer than the old 35, the 14 is nearly the length of the 23 despite being significantly slower, and the 16 is significantly longer than the old 23.

• 2 weeks later...

If true, the 23 being longer than the 35 makes sense to me, from an optics point of view. The main point of the new 23, 35, and 50 is to not obstruct an OVF while not losing IQ. The lenses are not designed to minimize size, per se. The old 23 is longer than the old 35, the 14 is nearly the length of the 23 despite being significantly slower, and the 16 is significantly longer than the old 23.

I'm sure not obscuring the ovf was a factor but I seriously doubt if it was the main point; the f/1.4 hardly encroaches on the framing guidelines except for macro where the parallax error makes framing impossible anyway. This is the #1 myth of the 35mm pair.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...