XF23mm F2 rumors

Patrick FR

sometimes I think there is more interest for the XF23mmF2 than for the X-T2 ;)

[...]

That is quite normal, 35mm equiv is a much loved FoV for a lot of photographers, the first prime of a lot of ppl are either the 35mm or the 50mm, so since the 50mm equiv already got a WR F2 version, it was about time we have something akin for the XF 23mm F1.4.

Plus, some of us do complain about its size. Which, I do not find to be that bad for a wider angle lens at F1.4.

sometimes I think there is more interest for the XF23mmF2 than for the X-T2 ;)

It's more like a running gag that got out of hand.

I hope I can give you guys an expeceted release date soon

Me too! Expecting Fuji to come out with a new roadmap along with the X-T2. Seems logical.

Yes, very interested in this lens.  Wonder when it'll be out ?  Hope it's nice and small and with WR.

I was considering to get one of the available lenses until this is released but then 23mm f/1.4 is too heavy and too expensive, 27mm f/2.8 is too narrow. So, I hope sooner than later :)

Correct me if i'm wrong but don't Fuji usually present mock-ups of new lenses quite some time before the production model has been finalised? 

Given we haven't seen anything for the 23mm F2, I'm concerned that this lens might still be further away than we would hope...

Could we only just get a mock-up in June?! :(

Correct me if i'm wrong but don't Fuji usually present mock-ups of new lenses quite some time before the production model has been finalised? 

Given we haven't seen anything for the 23mm F2, I'm concerned that this lens might still be further away than we would hope...

Could we only just get a mock-up in June?! :(

I didn't know about the mockups. Where do they publish them ? Do they put them online or do they publish these mockups in some other medium ?

I didn't know about the mockups. Where do they publish them ? Do they put them online or do they publish these mockups in some other medium ?

They're typically presented at photo shows. The usual system appears to be Announce Lens on Roadmap -> Present prototype at a show -----(6-12 painful months of waiting)----> Announce Release Date -->

The last example i'm aware of is with the 35mm f2 where a mock-up was presented at CP+ in Feb 2015 - the lens was eventually released in October 2015.

I think the same has been done with the 16, 90 and some of the telephoto zooms.

I'm holding off buying an X-Pro2 unless and until a 23/2 WR is confirmed - it's that important to me. I want a 23/35/60 kit and do not like the lenses with a clutch.

Yes.  A general purpose f/2 50-60mm would make sense.   Both the current 56mm and 60mm are very good but their specialized nature make them either rather large and bulky or slow focusing or both.

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking forward to his lens, however less so now.

I do not own the 23mm f/1.4 or an X100 camera, but I do own the 18/27/35/60 primes.

I never carry the 27mm (which is strange since it is the smallest lens)

The 60mm is used for portrait work manly, and is added to the bag as required

The 18mm, and 35mm are my go to lenses.

There is enough difference between them to justify one on the camera, other in my pocket, the 27mm feels very close to both (a few steps forwards or backwards), I feel the 23mm would fall into the same situation.

Push came t shove I could probably do almost everything with the 35 f/1.4

With the 23mm I don't believe I could do anything I can't with the 18mm, it may be optically better but I aint got any complaints with the 18 anyway

I guess I just don't suffer from GAS anymore,

i don't get the hype over this lens.   It won't be much smaller than then 23 1.4

For example, here's the 35 f2 vs 35 f1.4... there's hardly any difference.

Chris-Gampat-The-Phoblographer-Fujifilm-

The 23/1.4 will be sharper at F2, than the new 23/2.0 at F2.

The 23/1.4 is one stop faster

The 23/1.4 already focuses pretty well. 

The x100t already has a 23 f2 lens. 

23mm f/1.4 is a 301 gram lens and has no WR. 35mm f/2 has WR and is only 170 grams. And the price difference is massive. For some people these 3 factors may not be so important and for some others they may be extremely important, hence the hype. Many people care about these factors.

Edited by xtrans