XF23mm F2 rumors

Patrick FR

I have wanted to add a 35mm (full frame equivalant) fast prime  to my kit as I have the 24mm/1.4 and 50mm/1.4 (full frame #'s) ... but can't justify the $ for 1.4 with the two I have ... but if this F2 is priced competitively like the new 50mm/F2 (full frame again) ... I will be tempted!

... sorry .. I always talk full frame numbers with others as it is kind of the universal focal length numbers when we compare our different manufacturer's gear.

A compact 23mm f 2 probably means “ smaller” lens as the 35 f2 is smaller than the 35 f1.4 .

But we shall see! 

Fuji has a fantastic 23mm f/2 aspherical lens on X100 series, a pancake design. If I were Fuji, I would choose to modify an existing lens rather than develop an entirely new formula. But...

Fuji has a fantastic 23mm f/2 aspherical lens on X100 series, a pancake design. If I were Fuji, I would choose to modify an existing lens rather than develop an entirely new formula. But...

That lens is notoriously soft at closer focus distances though. 

Not that there is really such a thing as a new formula these days; however there are levels of compromise for size, weight, distortions etc.

there is a very nice Dutch expression.

“ het moet uit de lengte of uit de breedte komen” 

“ It has to come form the length or the width "

As for anything with a balance between the two dimensions, if you pull one direction you will affect the other dimension. In other words, making a small lens comes at a compromise and the amount of compromise is determined by the amount of “ pulling”.

You know this is another form

You can have a lens that is Cheap, Small, Good ( and I will add light efficient too), but you can only pick two characteristics simultaneously. Anything else is wishful thinking and I don’t do that.

That lens is notoriously soft at closer focus distances though. 

Not that there is really such a thing as a new formula these days; however there are levels of compromise for size, weight, distortions etc.

I have a X100T also and I never noticed "soft[ness] at closer focus distances," even with tele and wide lens attachments. However, I do see diffraction kicking-in at f/8. But hey, we all have different thresholds.

Cheers.