X-E2 4.0 Applies 16:9 Crop to RAW Files in LR

Hey guys,

after importing the first images to Lightroom (on a Mac running 10.11.2) after the update I noticed a weird behaviour: All RAW images are cropped to 16:9 after import. Changing the crop ratio to "Original" instead of "As Shot" fixes things.

It's a small annoyance as it can quickly be fixed for all images but still it is kind of stupid. Has anyone else had that problem? The only thing I could find about it was this post on DPR: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3966021

Hi Jano - I'm intyerested in your post

I've been following this forum for a year or so but have only just decided to post. I have 3 Fuji X cameras: XT-1, XE-2 and X30.

This cropping phenomenon concerns me. My standard workflow (all 3 cameras) is: shoot RAW, convert to DNG, import into Lightroom 5.7 (Windows) and process. So does this mean, if I update firmare in the X-E2 (to Version 4.0) and X-T1 (to Version 4.30), that all my imports will display as 16:9 crops? ... and, if so, would I need to "Develop" each individual image in Lightroom in order to correct it to standard 3:2? The only correction I can see is to use the "crop and straighten" tool and hit the "reset" button for that tool. Is this what you have done?

I can't seem to find anything to alter the crop ratio - unless it's called something different on a Mac version.

I've just tried an experiment with my X-E2 running FW 4.0, importing files into Lightroom CC 2015.4.  I deliberately shot RAW+JPEG so I could check the aspect ratio of each independently, and - as expected - everything is kosher 3:2.  I'd be interested to know whether the JPEGs produced in "16:9 mode" have the correct number of pixels.  In other words, are the JPEGs cropped or is the 16:9 aspect ratio simply the result of a rogue piece of metadata?

I know that I followed the recommended upgrade path: start at 1.0; factory reset after upgrade to 3.0; then upgrade to 4.0.  I'm wondering whether the aspect ratio problem might be related to missing out the factory reset or going straight from 1.0 to 4.0.  This might explain vestigial "state" creeping into the new settings.

Ian.

So does this mean, if I update firmare in the X-E2 (to Version 4.0) and X-T1 (to Version 4.30), that all my imports will display as 16:9 crops? ... and, if so, would I need to "Develop" each individual image in Lightroom in order to correct it to standard 3:2? The only correction I can see is to use the "crop and straighten" tool and hit the "reset" button for that tool. Is this what you have done?

I can't seem to find anything to alter the crop ratio - unless it's called something different on a Mac version.

As it seems this is a pretty rare problem. And even if you happen to have it don't worry. You simply select all images after import in the grid view and in the "Quick Develop" module (right side) change the "Crop Ratio" to "Original". I'm pretty sure it's called that on Windows, too. No problem, just an annoyance.

I've just tried an experiment with my X-E2 running FW 4.0, importing files into Lightroom CC 2015.4.  I deliberately shot RAW+JPEG so I could check the aspect ratio of each independently, and - as expected - everything is kosher 3:2.  I'd be interested to know whether the JPEGs produced in "16:9 mode" have the correct number of pixels.  In other words, are the JPEGs cropped or is the 16:9 aspect ratio simply the result of a rogue piece of metadata?

I know that I followed the recommended upgrade path: start at 1.0; factory reset after upgrade to 3.0; then upgrade to 4.0.  I'm wondering whether the aspect ratio problem might be related to missing out the factory reset or going straight from 1.0 to 4.0.  This might explain vestigial "state" creeping into the new settings.

Ian.

Thanks for the reply Ian. I didn't follow the recommended upgrade path. It would be kind of embarrassing if that actually led to problems imho.

Anyway, the JPEGs are completely normal, all 3:2 at full resolution. The RAW crop is independent of the selected crop: if I shoot the JPEG in 1:1 the JPEG will be that but the RAW will be cropped to 16:9 in LR. Seems to be something in the metadata.

I did some further experimentation: no other app that I tried applied any type of crop to the RAW (Iridient, RPP, Preview, Darktable, Pixelmator). Weirdly, Fast Raw Viewer (FRV) can't open the files at all since the FW update.

I uploaded one of my RAW files to Dropbox here. If anyone would care to open it in LR and see if the same thing happens I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks for the reply Ian. I didn't follow the recommended upgrade path. It would be kind of embarrassing if that actually led to problems imho.

Anyway, the JPEGs are completely normal, all 3:2 at full resolution. The RAW crop is independent of the selected crop: if I shoot the JPEG in 1:1 the JPEG will be that but the RAW will be cropped to 16:9 in LR. Seems to be something in the metadata.

I did some further experimentation: no other app that I tried applied any type of crop to the RAW (Iridient, RPP, Preview, Darktable, Pixelmator). Weirdly, Fast Raw Viewer (FRV) can't open the files at all since the FW update.

I uploaded one of my RAW files to Dropbox here. If anyone would care to open it in LR and see if the same thing happens I'd really appreciate it!

I opened your RAW file in LR 5.7 (Windows 10) and it displayed as16:9 crop. I also reset the ratio using your suggestion in the "Quick Develop" panel of the library module and all is fine - it now displays as 3:2.

So, it looks as though this is perfectly usable workaround ... but I guess we still don't know what causes it.

I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and update my 2 cameras (X-E2 and X-T1) to the latest firmware. I'll let you know what happens.

My latest X-E2 revision is 4.00.

I guess you're not quite up to speed then ;-)

I opened your RAW file in LR 5.7 (Windows 10) and it displayed as16:9 crop.

Must be a camera issue then. I guess I'll write to Fuji and see what they say. Though I'm not expecting much – haven't really gotten useful replies from Fuji Germany, only excuses.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks fabumann! I just took three test shots, one for each metering mode, and indeed a crop was added to the shot with the average metering mode.

I guess the next question is, "Is this an issue with Firmware 4.0 adding wrong information to the EXIF average metering or an issue with the way Lightroom reads EXIF for firmware 4.0?". I can't say, I remember this being an issue prior to the update.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A lot of "fun" little changes in the latest LR update that will bite you if you have everything memorized as it is (was). Like moving "perspective corrections" from "Lens Corrections" to a new menu - "Transform." It's my job, and it will be for the near future, but at least I'm done with it at home.