Expecting a baby boy. Should i get the x70 to take baby pictures?

Guest Ridgeback

I'd use a camera that can also take pix of full nappies, the mother-in-law's new hairdo and bobby-cars.

A Leica M Monochrome is the only one able to do all these things. Or a Fuji X-Pro 2.

:lol:

I'm sure it would work, but I think you may find the focal length of that lens to be too limiting. The 23mm on the X100T is probably a better focal length. I think you would be better going with the X-E2S or X-T10 with the 18-55mm or prime. It would give you more flexibility and faster AF for tracking when he starts to crawl/walk.

I am a father of 15 week baby, and taking an enormous number of pictures every day.
"From new born to toddler," I think you do not need good AF tracking (he is not moving much yet), long focal length (we stay close, right?), and very fast aperture.

However, F2.0 is often needed for indoor photos. Faster than that for me personally has too shallow depth of field.

In this sense, I think X100T is the best among fixed lens X's.

You can probably start to think of other needs one year later.

By the way, I am using X-E1 + 35mm F1.4 indoor and + 27mm F2.8 outdoor.

As a main/one camera option? No. You'll be shooting indoors a lot and need to be at higher ISO. You'll probably run into the dreaded waxy skin look. Even if not, the focal length will be limiting. You'll benefit from having choices, whether that's the 18-55. The 35, or something else.

I would recommend it though as a secondary/backup/carry everywhere solution. You can carry it around when you don't want the bulk of a camera and lenses or when you go out for an impromptu trip. That's the reason I bought one. I have a 3 year old and a 8 month old. I would never rely on the X70 as my only camera, nor would I rely on the X100 series either. But I do like having a co pact camera for those trips to the playground or diner when you want to carry something but not a bag of lenses.

I am first time fuji x user. I am expecting a baby boy in april. i would like to know if the x70 is good for baby photo from new born to toddler. If not, then what is the best camera out there for baby photography? 

thank you so much

If $699 is the price range that you are looking in, the X70 will make a great camera for capturing the life of your new baby (congratulations by the way)! The 18mm lens is roughly the equivalent of what you would get from an iPhone and since it is a wider lens it will distort faces a bit if you try to do close up portraits.

If you're willing to spend a little more, I would recommend the X-E2 or X-T10 and one of the two 35mm lenses. This focal length will allow you to get better portrait style shots. The advantage of the XF 35mm f/1.4 is that it will let you shoot in lower light but the XF 35mm f/2 will focus faster and more accurately. I would stay away from the 18-55mm zoom for this purpose because most of your shots will be inside in the early years. Once the baby is older and running around outside the zoom would be great for keeping up with the action.

• 2 weeks later...