Showing Pics

Alf

I'm not sure it's that different from any other photography forum. They all tend to be gear heavy and image light. I think it's because most of us don't know how to talk about pictures, so we're reduced to a few superficial comments. And most of us don't like to cause offence so we don't tend to say anything that could be construed as negative. You don't have to read every forum post - just pick the ones you like.

I am trying to persuade people that photography is about taking pictures

Theres too many people that can talk for hours about dynamic range etc yet we never see a pic from them 

Just looking for balance thats all :)

I understand and largely agree with you. It's just that there's no evidence on any forum anywhere that I've ever seen that it will ever be any different. If you want to focus on the images then the internet is the wrong place. The only time I ever had that experience was with local photography groups / clubs.

I am 

I think its a shame that so few people in here bother to show their work 

Disappointing as some like to talk a lot but never show us anything to back the words up

Just forums I suppose 

I am with you. My finding is that most of the time the people that troll the most and talk, talk, talk quite often have shots that are just rubbish. The number of times that I get some strange critique on my photographs is amazing and when I head over to there account or flickr stream it´s often the same. 

Oh and I don´t quite understand what Ridgback in post #2 is trying to tell us. What has a missing avatar or signature got to do with it?

I have seen other forums where the poster can request no comments , so thats one way out of that

Personally I would rather people comment and I have no problem with them saying its rubbish as long as they can explain why , I may learn something 

Overall I would expect to see most peoples comments supportive as I would like to think we are all nice people :)

What I don't want to see is every pic that gets posted being rolled over and the dreadful great capture comment (god I hate that !)

A straight forward comment or suggestion as to how the pic may be improved is all thats needed 

Surely we are all capable of that ?

A straight forward comment or suggestion as to how the pic may be improved is all thats needed 

Surely we are all capable of that ?

In this case, I believe, OP should specify what exactly his/her concern is about - the plot, composition, timing, camera settings, etc ... and ask for advise how to improve it. That means he is prepared for some criticism and wouldn't be upset.

Overall I would expect to see most peoples comments supportive as I would like to think we are all nice people :)

I think it's because we're mostly nice people that we're reluctant to comment. Commenting presupposes sufficient confidence in our own photographic abilities to offer an intelligent informed opinion. I don't think many of us have that. I also think that most of us don't want to come across as judgmental since even constructive criticism can be perceived as such, particularly in a context and nuance free environment like the internet.

Guest Ridgeback

The problem with critics, art, food, literature, film or ... photography, is that they are usually opinionated failures.

I like looking at other people's pix. Often I'm inspired, sometimes I'm interested in HOW they did something but I'd never criticise because apparently that pic is how they see the world and how they see the world is their bag. And there is always the 'Like This' button :)