Poll: How do you use viewfinder, display, menus?

fordfanjpn

How do you use menus, display, viewfinder?  

293 members have voted

1. 1. How do you use menus, display, viewfinder with your Fuji X?

• Viewfinder only / frequently access menus
    • Viewfinder only / rarely (or never) access menus
    • Eye Sensor / frequently access menus
    • Eye Sensor / rarely (or never) access menus
    • Display / frequently access menus
    • Display / rarely (or never) access menus
    • Something else I didn't think of (comment below)

eye sensor

I have customised function buttons, so TBH, I only really go into menus to turn on or off face detection, everything else either has a dial or a function button.

e.g. on XT-10 bottom right function in shooting mode has been changed to ISO (still set to wifi if in playback mode)

Fuji provided the choices and I take advantage of those options. EVF for landscapes and planned compositions, the articulated LCD for catching my grandson unaware, low or high angle work, or whenever I need to photograph unobtrusively. I'm very disappointed the X-PRO 2 does not offer the option. With it's rangefinder styling it would be a fine option for street photographers.

I never tought that I would use the LCD so much when I bought this little camera but I do and I love it! (I was used to the havy dslr)

Most of the time I use eye sensor, when I’m outside I switch a lot from VF to LCD. 

The LCD is a wonderful help for judging of I have reached what I have had in mind. 

Also I use the menu a lot...I'm kinda a slow shooter and mainly (98%) shoot JPEG. I don't use the Q menu for a special setting because I do lot's of modifications while I'm shooting... it's mainly for going easy in the menu and make some adjustments. My goal is to use the perfectly in-camera settings for the best sooc shot in JPEG so I don't have to do PP afterwards in photoshop  :) (color, contrast, highlights, dr, and film simulation, I use it all!)

This camera is the perfect tool for this and I love the outcome of JPEGs!!

When I have to do quick shots (people, street, action) then of course I use a fixed setting and don't use the menu and LCD at all.  

No time for chimping then :))

....happy shooting all!

Bonjour Tout le Monde,

I put in for #2 viewfinder + rare menu access on XT1 and X100.

I like shooting directly in b&w so I shoot RAW + jpeg with q menu (on XT 1) accessing custom setting b&w + yellow filtre or if I decide to do colour custom setting velvia.

The b&w jpeg is kept as a reference for when I convert the raw file which, of course, comes out in colour.

Otherwise I set the aperture with auto shutter speed or manual. ISO at 200 or I change it manually (the pleasure of turning knobs :) ), if necessary.

Have a nice afternoon.

Jeremy

Eye Sensor with frequent access to the Quick Menu I customized to my need.

This is mainly on my X-T1 as on my X100T I'm using it like I configured it at the start.

On both cameras once fully initialised and setup, I rarely go back in the setup menus, a bit like in film shooting days ("Load and go " ;-)).

Almost half the time I use the view finder only, most of the other half of the time I use the eye sensor setting and occasionally I use the rear LCD screen only, depending on the situation. If I'm using my X100s, I refer to the menu regularly to change my ISO. I rarely use Auto ISO. If I'm using my X-T1, I don't check the menus as often. But since I'm relatively new to Fuji, I still check them occasionally to make sure settings are what I want. 

If I'm in a casual shooting situation, I'm likely to use the eye sensor setting. If I feel I must quickly be able to get a shot (street shooting for example), I'll have it set to view finder only so I don't have to wait for the view finder to be on. 

An important question to ask is whether people here want to be able to use the viewfinder to take photos, and the LCD to navigate menus.

I want to use the viewfinder to take the photos, and the LCD for menus.  I was able to do that on the X-Pro1, the X100, and the X100s.  This is no longer possible on the X100T or the new X-Pro2.

For glasses users the new method is very difficult.

The poll has not asked the specific question:  Do you want to use the viewfinder to take photos and the LCD for menus?

I split between EVF and display depending on what in shooting. If I'm wearing contacts I always use EVF...otherwise I have to put readers on to read screen. When I'm wearing glasses I switch between EVF and display. I use the display exclusively for bright sun and the display for low angles, discreet shooting and nighttime photography. Having choice is one of the best things about my Fuji system.

I voted viewfinder. I chose the X-T1 for its big viewfinder so that is what I tend to use.

I was brought up on Gandolfi 5x4 view cameras so I am in the habit of keeping a black cloth in the kit Just in case I want to use the display when the tripod is being used. I find that keeping out all stray light improves the view, working inside or out, but I have not used the display much so far.

Menus. I voted for little use. I may reset the specs for bracketing at the beginning of a shoot to see what might work, exposure (if only there was a 7 bracket) and film type are two that come to mind. If there is nothing worthwhile I will shoot with top of camera settings/variations as normal. The top of the X-T1 says it all.

I prefer EVF. pass.

You prefer to navigate the menus using the EVF with the camera pressed up against your face?

Maybe it's because I have 3 different model cameras, the X-T1, X-E2, and the X100T, that I find it difficult to do since all three cameras have different button arrangements. For example, the drive button on the X-E2 is the playback button on the X100T. The Playback button on the X-E2 is the view mode button on the X100T. On the X-T1, it doesn't matter much. It has physical controls for everything and the only thing i access the menu for is AF mode and to format. You may call those function buttons, but they just pull up menus for the specific functions and when you are going back and forth between cameras, it is not easy to navigate while looking through the EVF. 

Being old enough to need reading glasses for the rear display, I tend to preset the camera using the dials and then only use the EVF to select the focus point and of course the composition.

The display is mostly used for chimping. I just can't help it sometimes!

I rarely use regular menus during shooting. It's counterproductive. Instead, I put everything I need on Fn buttons (ISO, DR, AF mode and frame selection, face detection, Natural Live View, sometimes white balance) als also use the Q menu to quickly change stuff like shutter mode, OIS mode or flash exposure compensation. In the X-Pro2, I am also using the new My Menu to change more frequently used settings.

I use eye-detection most of the time, but may switch to LCD only when the camera is on a tripod.

• 3 weeks later...

I have found that I can get pretty good battery life by turning off the auto playback when I take a photo as well as have both LCD and EVF turned off unless my eye is at the EVF.  This way neither LCD is on unless I have the camera to my eye, or I press a button to view menu/playback image on rear LCD.  

This helps quite a bit with battery life.

Depending upon what I am shooting, the genre I am shooting in and the light & time of day, I use a variety of combinations of the menu, LCD and EVF.

Thank you Fuji for providing so many options.  I am a "very old film" shooter, but I quickly adapted to the flexibility of the digital capabilities and enjoy having choices for what I am doing at the moment.

Jerry R

Slightly off topic but this supports my feeling that the proposed touch screen is not a feature that users really want as they hardly or never dive into menus.  Yes I know you can touch focus and shoot, but that is not in the ethos of of the Fuji spirit; an enthusiasts  platform.

My 2 cents