The X-Pro1 - Still Perfectly Valid

Hi Adam :-)

I've been reading your story for a couple of weeks. I have always been intrigued by the X-Pro1, and also about the old XF 35. So on eBay, I found a used set containing an X-Pro1 with that lens and an XF 18. Your tips about the X-Pro1 are very useful, and your writing is inspiring. I very rarely cared much for the OVF on my X-100T, but I will give it a go with the XF 18 and zone focusing.

I am also a fan of your blog. And for my style of photography (and as an amateur), the X-Pro1 is still a very fine camera, when combined with the 18mm or 35mm lenses. I actually look forward to the future 23mm F/2 lens.

The X-Pro2 may be a tempting camera, but not at the price it's sold for here.

• 1 month later...

Thanks to Adam's series I purchased another XPro1 for a couple of hundred quid, used, here in the U.K.  It was immaculate. Sure, it is slower to focus than my new Fujis but so what? The images it produces are just so lovely.

Thanks for taking the time to post that Drew, I really felt that the inaugural X ILC camera was worthy of some in-depth descriptive love, and the response I've had from the community has been very positive!

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the Xpro1 almost 5 months ago and although there are some things I have issues with (mainly continues AF), there is nothing wrong with this sensor.

It is terrific! Produce beautiful images.

I would buy an x-t2 even if it had the x-trans I sensor

It doesn't really do continuous AF in the normal sense of the word (which tends to mean tracking), it literally just continuously runs the AF motor! :)

But you're 100% correct - the IQ is peachy :)

• 4 weeks later...

One issue I have with the X-Pro1 which I understand is not the issue with Fujifilm later releases is that I have to chose whether I want to be able to change shutterspeed or exposure.

If I put the shutterspeed on Auto I can change the exposurewith the exp.dial but if I select a shutterspeed manually the exposure dial will have no effect when turning it.

One issue I have with the X-Pro1 which I understand is not the issue with Fujifilm later releases is that I have to chose whether I want to be able to change shutterspeed or exposure.

If I put the shutterspeed on Auto I can change the exposurewith the exp.dial but if I select a shutterspeed manually the exposure dial will have no effect when turning it.

I believe in the later cameras you can control ISO with the EV dial.

Do you shoot full manual or SS priority?

You mean I can program the EV dial to increase/reduce iso instead of exp?

Manually, I manually select aperture and shutterspeed, but I have ISO on AUTO

No, not exactly

The EV dial is basically a manual override for something the camera is controlling.

So for example in AE mode, it'll change the shutter.

I just tried with my XP2

In auto ISO, auto aperture but manual shutter mode, the EV dial changed the iso (which surprised me actually, I was expecting aperture)

In manual ISO manual SS, auto aperture mode, the EV dial changed the aperture.

I'm not sure if on the XP1 the EV dial can change the aperture (in shutter priority mode) but I'm pretty sure, that the XP1 can't change the ISO with the EV dial (iirc this was a feature that first came in on the XT1 but I might be mistaken)

The EV dial only works when shutter speed is set to A on the X-Pro1. To control exposure with a fixed shutter speed requires setting iso manually, personally I have ISO assigned to the Fn button to do this.

But yeah, this feature was added in firmware 4.0 to the X-E2 etc.

• 1 year later...