Fuji Managers: “IBIS? Not compatible with X-mount (Read Why)! We are Observing the Progress of Organic Sensor”

Patrick FR

Aww no IBIS, a bit sad for me since I really took a liking to legacy lenses and some of them could really use a steadier shot helper.

Oh well, there is always Olympus, the OM-D EM-10 isn't that expensive and could offer some fun.

At least I just need to wait for the rumors on the X-T2 before taking a decision for that Nikon D500.

IBIS is no major deal breaker, when using fujinon lenses

Most zoom lenses have OIS

Most Fujinon Primes are fast

I can uses the 35 F/1.4 at 1/30 second, hand held without camera shake (could always use a monopod aswell if needed).

At no point evey have I missed a shot because I needed a slower shutterspeed than 1/30 (pretty mush never push ISO beyond 1600).

I don't have the 90 F/2, however that is a strange lenses to want to use handheld, but if I had said lens and kept the shutter speed around 1/100 sure it (camera shake) wold be a non issue, though i definitely feel that is more of a portrait lens where you would have a tripod and control the lighting anyway.

tldr

IBIS does not matter as long as the long zoom lenses have OIS (which they do)

Even accepting the argument they make there seems to be no good reason to permanently reject IBIS, as long as it has an on/off switch. Those who want ultimate image quality can have it. Others can choose to sacrifice a little quality when IBIS would help get an otherwise difficult image.

When I switched from Sony DSLR's to the NEX line I lost Sony's IBIS but Sony put their version of OSS in some of their E mount primes as well as the zooms - both the 35 and the 50 were so equipped. If Fuji prefer to go down the no IBIS route I would welcome OSS in future primes as well as the zooms. Given the rave reviews for the image quality of the 50-140 it is clear that OSS does not necessarily compromise kens IQ, and while I understand that the gains from OSS are less significant with shorter focal lengths, there is always going to be some gain - especially bearing in mind that not all of us have rock steady hands.

No E-Mount APS-C bodies have IBIS, the Full Frame models perhaps give Sony more space?

If Fuji is committed to APS-C at least for X-Mount, perhaps IBIS will be ruled out permanently for the X-mount?

Although I agree that longer prime lenses could find it useful, and I hope the 1:1 macro lens has it, as it would be useful in my opinion for macro photography.

Although both the Sony 35mm with OSS (SEL35F18) and 50mm with OSS (SEL50F18) are both fantastic lenses (the 50mm may be the best price performance lens ever) which can be shot handheld at very slow shutter speeds, the usefulness is limited to a few situations; and If it adds cost to a lens, and or makes them bigger and heavier the trade off would be questionable (at least at shorter focal lengths).

I can think of a good strategic reason not to worry about IBIS:

In the future sensors are going to get more and more sensitive. It will be possible to shoot in low light at very fast speeds, and IBIS will become obsolete.

So it is a waste of money for Fuji to start developing IBIS for their cameras now, since by the time they have a working system, it will be all but unnecessary.