X-T10 front dial takes pictures?

olliek

Hello,

I bought X-T10 camera today and I'm pretty happy with how it operates, but I can't seem to find a setting on how to change the front dial operations. All the Youtube videos, reviews, forums etc say that the front dial can be used to change e.g. the aperture but for me it takes a picture whenever I turn it left or right. This is actually quite annoying because I sometimes touch it accidentally and it takes pictures..sometimes when in continuous mode it stays in a loop of taking pictures until I turn the camera off.

Am I just unable to find the setting on how to disable taking pictures with the front dial (by pressing it I changed it to give the ISO setting, that works fine)? I've updated the firmware to the latest.

Olli

Easy. In shooting mode press and hold the Disp/Bck button until the screen shows all of the function buttons with their settings and locations. Highlight any of them and press the Menu/OK button to access the (many) choices you have for setting the function, including None.

I guess we all have our preferred set of settings. For the front wheel I choose ISO which makes it easy to control ISO when looking in the viewfinder. In certain situations it has two other distinct advantages.

The first is if you are shooting in Program mode you can use the front wheel to change all three parameters of exposure: aperture, shutter speed and ISO. If dynamic range is NOT set to auto turning the wheel changes the combination of aperture and shutter speed, pressing and turning it changes ISO, all very easy to do while looking through the viewfinder.

The second is that you can change the auto ISO settings when you operate ISO this way, something you can't do if you use the quick menu to change ISO. In that case you would have to go into the Menu system to change auto ISO settings, which is much more cumbersome.

Per

Hi,

Thanks, setting the function keys is working fine (= what happens when I press the front command dial). But here's a short video on how it works for me: https://goo.gl/photos/MqMTW2ACEFVU7Pvx7 . Is there some setting which I've missed from where I could change the behaviour? I doesn't change ISO / Aperture or anything else when I turn it, it takes picture. Same happens whether in I'm auto mode, aperture priority or any other mode as well..and when in continous shooting mode if I touch the wheel the camera has couple of times went into a loop where it just keeps taking the pictures forever until I turn the whole camera off.

So I would very much like the wheel to change the aperture/iso..just haven't figured out how to enable it.

Olli

Wow, it's a very interesting problem. I'm wonder if it's some factory defect - shutter release is quite close inside to the front dial.

I've also took a look into X-T10 manual, and tried to simulate that on X-T1, but no luck.

I see some icon above focus distance scale on your screen, what's there? Can you take one more video with LCD flipped up to see all information?

Update. I've recognized what I was initially thinking is distance scale - is actually Information Bar : )

From the video it looks like you are shutting in Drive: S , Shutter 1/250 , AUTO mode, F5.6.

Any specific non-default settings ? Did you try to Reset the settings to default values?

Dear all,

that is interesting. I bought my first Fuji (X-T10) 2 month ago and I just wanted to look for strange behavior of my X-t10 in the forum.

I have the the exact opposite problem. When I touch the camera around the front dial, near the on/off button, e.g. for keeping the cam. I very often get the menu like I would press the front fail for selection the focus mode.

I seems the front dial and the mechanic around is not the best quality and causes many defects.

I thought the quality of Fuji is better.

best Regards.

Ok, thanks for clarifying what I was suspecting - it's a mechanical error on the device. I'll need to take it back to the store.

I've once reseted all the settings and I've tried all possible combinations of settings I could think of but still when my finger gets close the dial / moves it it gets picture(s) :-)

I think your problem is easy to reproduce.

I was playing around the whole day and I realized that my problem appears sporadic. If it starts to appears it appears several times after each other.

But I can also use the camera for two hours and everything works well.

I think my cam has a problem with the contact that sometimes works well - sometimes not.

I hope I can show it to the shop when I will go there.

It's my first Fuji and the first time since 20 years of photography that I have a problem with a camera.

Let's hope that the problem can be easily solved and we can enjoy our Fuji.

I really like the picture that the X-T10 takes.