XF200mmF2 Lens Rumors

Patrick FR

Wow.

Now THAT is a serious lens!

In terms of FOV and light gathering this will equate to the 300f2.8 configuration, probably the most highly praised and multi-purpose telephoto lens ever.

It's fantastic to see this on Fuji's radar, they really are building a well rounded top class system.

As I've stated in other threads, an entirely logical lens that makes Fuji the first mirrorless maker with a truly complete lens system (other than Sony with the help of third-party adapters - one could argue that Sony's lens line for certain bodies includes Canon's AND Nikon's, an argument that would be easier to make if the adapters said "Sony", rather than "Metabones" and maintained weathersealing). With the two converters, it will offer near-equivalents of the three (somewhat) common FF exotic telephotos. Once this is added to the lineup, the only thing Canon or Nikon will offer over Fuji is tilt/shift lenses (yes, our fisheye is presently a Rokinon, but it exists).

It makes me think the X-T2 will be a beast in the D500 range well-suited for sports and wildlife photography. I'm guessing (without evidence) that we may see three X-T models, rather than two - the high-end model will be VERY fast, with superb still and video features, but be substantially more expensive (and perhaps heavier) than the X-T1. There would then be a middle model that got X-Trans III and weathersealing, but was aimed at the D7200 rather than the D500. The X-T10 would stay where it was for at least a while. Another option would be one new body, in the X-T1 price range, but with an expensive grip that upped the frame rate. There actually IS potential logic to this, rather than just a marketing gimmick - grips that affect frame rate either use a larger, higher-voltage battery, or draw from two batteries in parallel.

The Nikon D500 has a frame rate of 10. The current X-T1 is already 8. I'm doubtful there is even a need for a big grip to up the frame rate to compete with the D500. The mirrorless doesn't need the extra muscle to match the speed cause there is no need to move the mechanical mirror. Mirrorless has a fundamental advantage there.  

True, but you still need to deal with the shutter and move the focusing elements (including some pretty big ones if you're got a 200mm f2, even though it will be internal focus). I could easily see the X-T1 replacement being 12 FPS, and that could be hard with the little NP-W126!

For Fuji to have a "complete" professional package, I think they should make something with a 150mm front element. 300f2.0 sounds the best to me, since that would translate to something close enough to the 400f2.8 designs that seem to be standard for the highest level of sports photography.

True, but you still need to deal with the shutter and move the focusing elements (including some pretty big ones if you're got a 200mm f2, even though it will be internal focus). I could easily see the X-T1 replacement being 12 FPS, and that could be hard with the little NP-W126!

Well, 12 FPS is the same as the new D5... and of no interest to me personally... I'd rather stay at 8 (which is still plenty fast) and keep the camera the current size. I didn't switch from Nikon hoping that the X-T1 replacements would become DSLR's is size and horsepower. 

I would like the X-T2 to be the same basic size as the X-T1

For Fuji to have a "complete" professional package, I think they should make something with a 150mm front element. 300f2.0 sounds the best to me, since that would translate to something close enough to the 400f2.8 designs that seem to be standard for the highest level of sports photography.

Are you planning to buy that $10,000+ lens?

The beauty of the APS-C sensor, combined with today's ISO performance, is that the 150mm front element isn't really necessary - in terms of light and reach, a 200mm f2.0 with a 1.4x (or a 300mm f2.8 used alone) is actually longer while letting in as much light as a 400mm f2.8 on full frame.

Yes, I know that it has a stop less subject isolation (minus the effect of slightly increased length, so really 2/3 or 3/4 stop), but many sports photographers use a 400mm f2.8 because it's the longest lens that lets in that much light (under the artificial light of a stadium), not necessarily because of its rendering.

One $5000 lens is a much more reasonable development effort than two lenses, one of which would be over $10,000.

In terms of attracting pros, I'd far rather see Fuji either build some flashes or outsource the whole flash project than take on TWO exotic telephotos (and a first tilt/shift lens is probably more valuable than a SECOND exotic telephoto, unless they're saving the tilt/shift project for medium format)

To have a true professional flash system, one that complements the lens range they've built, Fuji would need:

A "flagship" flash with the features and power of Canon's and Nikon's best, with wireless capability, probably by radio

A "step down" flash with a stop less power and minus some advanced features for a much more reasonable price (this is the soon to be introduced EF-X 500, assuming the quality is reasonable - I mention this because some of the Sunpaks aren't decent quality)

A little wireless flash for fill light

A commander unit (this and the little wireless flash could actually be the same device, if the costs could be gotten reasonable)

Possibly a macro light

All on the same wireless system, of course. Fuji could make a flash system like this, but they could also go to Metz or Phottix and just get them to make a Fuji-compatible version of what they already have. Leica has simply sold Metz flashes with Leica-compatible TTL for years, and nobody seems to care that most of the flashes don't say Leica (and it frees Leica up to do what they're good at).

I will be very surprised if something like this comes out now.  It really does not make much business sense. It's a very limited market and the main aim of this lens is sports which i don;t think any Fuji system can compete with (with the two other behemoth companies). I think it will come. but much later. The 120 mm macro still needs to come out and the 100-400. Then the upgrade of the 60 macro and new flash systems. Personally I think Fuji's market is <120 mm in prime section and the max is 400 in the zoom.  

Your comment is rude and off topic.

It was a simple question... and (IMO) it is on topic. I'm not going to buy a 300/f2 Fuji lens for sports photography. I guess hardly anyone would. If I were doing sports photography, I'd be using Nikon or Canon. Their high speed AF is better... At that level of investment I would not risk otherwise.

That would be a crazy lens. the only reference to a 300f2 is this: http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/telephotos/300mmedif20/

7kg :-).

The Nikkor 300mm f2.0 referenced above was the only one ever made for still photography (they still turn up in Hollywood with cine mounts bolted to them, and it would not surprise me if there are dedicated cine lenses of similar specifications from Arri, Zeiss, Panavision or the like). It's a 17 lb monster, although a modern version might very well be half the weight, since it is a similar design to a 400mm f2.8, which are currently in the 8-9 lb range! It would certainly be at least $10,000, since Canon and Nikon 400mm f2.8s are in that range, and this would be more exotic and built in smaller quantities. Only a few hundred of the Nikkors were ever made (I wonder how many 400mm f2.8 lenses are sold annually?). If Fuji ever built such a beast, they might well end up receiving cine conversions to replace aging 1980s Nikkors.

The Nikkor 300mm f2.0 referenced above was the only one ever made for still photography (they still turn up in Hollywood with cine mounts bolted to them, and it would not surprise me if there are dedicated cine lenses of similar specifications from Arri, Zeiss, Panavision or the like). It's a 17 lb monster, although a modern version might very well be half the weight, since it is a similar design to a 400mm f2.8, which are currently in the 8-9 lb range! It would certainly be at least $10,000, since Canon and Nikon 400mm f2.8s are in that range, and this would be more exotic and built in smaller quantities. Only a few hundred of the Nikkors were ever made (I wonder how many 400mm f2.8 lenses are sold annually?). If Fuji ever built such a beast, they might well end up receiving cine conversions to replace aging 1980s Nikkors.

It would be hard to understand if Fuji made something like this. But it's fun thinking about especially if they brought the price down to 2000 :-).

As a dual system shooter I could move totally from my Nikon D4/D810 /D750 with the addition of the fast 200mm.  I use a Nikon 300 2.8 at least three times a week.  The lens is big and heavy but others competing for the concerts I shoot for a living all use similar gear.  It might not be smaller but the files would sure require less pp.  Fuji, Put me down for one.