Available :: Fuji X-E2 Firmware 4.00!

I’m not disappointed in the least. The cameras are just different in minor details so one needs to adjust when jumping from one to another.

I am in fact very happy about the purchase that I’ve made. I have already had a X-E1 ( my first X camera) and so I found back the fun of handling a lightweight body the only drawback compared to the X-T1 has to be the size of the electronic viewfinder. There is nothing like peeking into the X-E2 to make you want to go back to the huge (in comparison) evf of the X-T1.

The new firmware has made a very different camera of the X-E2 ( I’ve used it with its original firmware for a couple of days prior to the upgrade) and since the firmware assigns functions to this camera which weren’t “ native” to this body, they are at times “ hidden” or not as clear cut as they are on the X-T1 or perhaps even more on the X-T10

The only thing I can nit pick with regard to 4.0 is that I was hoping for +/-2 stops to be an option for exposre bracketing in the drive menu.  Maybe this is something that FW can't change.  Not that big a deal anyway since I've nearly gotten past any interest HDR triplets.

Is the autofocus tied to any mechanical improvements or is it all software?

I am wondering if the two year old xe2 has the same autofocus speed and mechanism like the new x70 ?

Xt10, xt1, xe2, xe2s and x70 and even x100t seem to have all the same sensor and processor so does this mean they all have the same autofocus speed and reliabilty?

Every lens has a set of motors which performs the autofocus feature so, a lens could never be focussing any faster than the motor which powers the system.

Of course, a great deal of the autofocus motor speed is gained or lost by the actual capability to detect the object being in focus in what one calls “ hunting"

That has to be caused by a combination of hardware and software. One can improve the software, but, at some point even if you increase autofocus detection, the speed limit would be the maximum speed of the motors.

As far as I can tell, Fuji uses different types of motors with different types of lenses. 

I don’t think ( but I have not measured it) that the new X70, a camera with a fixed focus wideangle lens could be the same speed of any X camera with an interchangeable lens, especially if one would measure it against the similar focal length of 18mm. I suppose that the X70 would be faster or at least, it should be so by intuition.

Maybe there is someone out there who has been able to measure this things.

Thanks. Makes sense re lens motors.

The reason why im asking is because im thinking about buying the “old“ xe2.

It seems that fuji will continue to support the xtrans II sensor and exr II processor for all the models I mentioned and even the x70 and the xe2s continue with that sensor processor combo so it seems firmware updates will continue for any models with this combination because they should all have the same capabilites based on the hardware. Even the x100t would be capable of getting the recent AF improvments as it also has the same sensor and processor.

The xe2 seems great value for money now due to the firmware update and I would expext it to perform as well as the xt10 and xt1 nust simply based on tbe specs.

Ps. Yes I`m aware that xpro2 and xt2 will use the new sensor and procesor.

I’ve just bought a second body and to that purpose I’ve bought a secondhand X-E2. It performs indeed as the other top models minus the evf which is certainly smaller.

I am not sure that there would be any further  and future support for this camera ( other than making it suitable to use a new lens or  make it suitable to a new operative system) since the X-E2S is , after the firmware update, practically identical to its previous model but cots 20% or so more.

It’s a speculation but I guess that the X-E2 kaizen stops here or thereabouts, while the one for X-E2S will be set forth.

perhaps you meant to write the X-Pro 2 and the X-T2

Yes i edited it (xpro2 and xt2), thanks.

I sold my xt10 because i didnt like the viewfinder. It seems to have the smallest viewfinder window. Im probably spoilt with the xt1 viewfinder so I have a feeling i will not like the xe2 viewfinder so ill pass and just get the x70, xpro2 and xt2 which are all moving forward. Thanks for your thoughts on the xe2.

I have a feeling i will not like the xe2 viewfinder so ill pass and just get the x70, xpro2 and xt2 which are all moving forward.

Do you think the X-PRO2 will have a better viewfinder than the X-E2? I guess, they will be about the same size. That would mean that the other features outweigh the viewfinder size? 

Anyway, I really love the new X-E2 firmware. It really is a brand new camera. I did some quick test this weekend with some photo's inside with bad light and lots of people: seems to work very well (XF35 and XF16-55). That was a real nightmare with the previous version.

the difference is not so mach in the resolution ( which is the same between the X-E2 and the X-T1 2.36 dot)  but the magnification 0.77 for the X-T1 and 0.64 for the X-E2.

The X-Pro 2 has, as far as I can tell, also a magnification in the same range as the X-E2 has and an equal resolution.

In other words the image that you are peeking at in the EVF loos smaller in the X-E2 ( and I suppose the X pro 2) than it does on the X-T1.

so how many frames per second with autofocus (af-c) can the xe2 do with fw4?

CORRECTION- It is definitely faster than 3 FPS, when I compare high and low drive mode in AF-C there is definitely a difference.

When set to high drive mode, AF-S is faster than AF-C so it's not quite 7 FPS. But definitely better than 3 FPS.

I've just updated to version 4.00. But now the flash won't fire at all. Flash Mode is greyed out in both the Q menu and the Shooting Menu > Flash Set-up. The Sound & Flash option is set to ON.

Before the update the flash worked without any problem. What am I missing here, any suggestions?

I've just updated to version 4.00. But now the flash won't fire at all. Flash Mode is greyed out in both the Q menu and the Shooting Menu > Flash Set-up. The Sound & Flash option is set to ON.

Before the update the flash worked without any problem. What am I missing here, any suggestions?

Oops, figured it out. After playing around with the menu's and button the drive mode was left at continuous shooting, which disables the flash.

X-E2 (FW 4.00) is a brand new camera to me. (FW 3.10) is leapfrogged by this in capabilities. Loving the new & improved AF speed, AF accuracy, and AF modes (Wide/Tracking is awesome..) The Face & Eye tracking is really nice as well. The menu change esp. for the Delete screens is much easier to deal with and nicer looking.

Question? This doesn't have the flash improvements for Continuous shooting like the X-T1's latest FW, does it??

Been diving into the new (FW 4.00 manual). Nice that they updated this doc.

I think it is on page 10 of the new manual , you have to assign a different function

Selecting S.S for h BUTTON/DIAL SETTING > COMMAND DIAL SETTING (P106) allows the command dial to be used to choose the shut- ter speed (P 45, 47, 49, 95), the exposure time for long time-exposures when the shutter-speed dial is rotated to T (time) (P 50), or, in program AE mode (mode P), different combinations of shutter speed and aperture (program shift, P 46).

R Assigning COMMAND DIAL SETTING to a func- tion button makes it easy to switch between shutter speed and aperture (P 44). 

Yes I've noticed it here too. There's definitely more noise than before. Let me know if you figure out a solution. Thanks

i just tried and there is more noise and it's slower but believe it's only when you are using the electronic shutter if you are on mechanical shutter, it seams to be better. to be confirmed.

@daleirvine, This is the catch with upgrading, you cannot downgrade on your own at least not if you are not an expert programmer which might doctor the files without breaking the camera in the process.

This was the reason why the X-T1 received an upgrade with a bug, then it needed an “ upgrade” to bring it back to what it was before the bug which was then fixed and upgraded again.

The same thing happens to my Mac, once it is upgraded you cannot downgrade it. On a computer it is possible to create a partition of the hard drive and install several OS. This is not the case on cameras. The only possibility is to try to find a camera body which belongs to someone who hardly uses internet and has never heard of a forum such as this.

You’ll be surprised of how many people like this there are.

I recentely bought a X-E2 with the original first firmware.

Any way to roll back to firmware version 3.0? The change in font size and histogram size in the viewfinder, make it difficult for me to see them now.

I don't know if it is the case, but, did you try changing the settings of the little dial on the side of the viewfinder, maybe it was not set properly before but with larger numbers you could see ok.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

the font of the whole system changed and it is smaller mostly because they had to fit a lot more information in the same space.

If you need ALL  those things ( I don’t) to show at the same time it might be daunting. I really have very little use to get all that much information and have elected to keep it to what I consider to be a useful minimum.

Hi Guys, Just wondering if anybody has had a similar problem as me with non Fuji batteries.I purchased the Kapahen brand from Bestbat and they have worked fine up till now when I tried to update the firmware.The screen remained blank no matter how long I held down the Disp/Back button.I sent the camera off to Fuji minus the battery and it was returned fully updated to Firmware 4.00 and they said no problem.I updated the camera with the previous firmware no problem so all I can put it down to is the change from Fuji to Kapahen. Have the auto rotate in my viewfinder but not on the LCD screen and also on reviewing images now there is a slight lag between the pixelated version and the full clear image.One last thing I have a fast card and I am shooting in Fine plus Raw and it takes nearly six seconds before I can take another shot.Fuji says this is normal but my Ricoh GR is much quicker.Any answers would be much appreciated as I love what this camera can do.