Fuji X-E3 rumors

Patrick FR

I feel exactly opposit, in my mind the X-Pro2 is the most usable Fuji camera so far (havn't tried the X-T2 though). For back-focussing I switched AE-L and AF-L button and can autofocus by pressing button in MF-mode (no AF lock necessary), the AE can then be locked by half-pressing and holding the shutter button. Works great, at least for me. Also the size isn't that different to the X-E, only the X-T20 gets significantly smaller (and has the tilt-screen as well).

I think one problem many here have is that the rumors raised expectiations to clearly unrealistic levels, especially regarding the IBIS (that no Fuji camera even got so far, and why would it be introduced in the mid-level X-E3 anyway), and now that reality kicks back in people are more disappointed as they would have been without any rumor in the first place. It's a known psychological effect: give a guy a 20 bill, he's happy. Immediately take it away from him, and he's pissed. He didn't loose anything in total at all, yet the bad feeling remains. Be aware of such things when putting expectations into something, makes life much easier!

Maybe Fuji can enable focus point selection with the touchscreen and use the Joystick for Custom Functions. People love using the touchscreen for focusing (even while using the viewfinder) on other systems, this would be the perfect camera to implement that system.

At that point, again, you've gained a huge advantage through the touchscreen that would be impossible to reproduce otherwise.

Full touch functionality in the menu gives the potential for virtually infinite customization. Touchscreens don't just stop working after 4 years, moreover the only camera that I've ever had fail was when a button got smashed. My smartphone is 10 years old and works perfectly.

The only reason for anyone to be upset about this is if they're just upset about "change" and want to oppose any new ideas regardless of merit.

9.V.III, no, I use the D-PAD all the time with my eye on the vf, and my nose against the screen (left-eyed) that won't work with a touchscreen. Nothing to do with being reluctant to change, it's all about functionality.

Why would you ever consider the X-E series at all?

This whole situation just sounds like someone shopping for a food processor in the carpentry section of a hardware store.

Maybe Fuji can enable focus point selection with the touchscreen and use the Joystick for Custom Functions. People love using the touchscreen for focusing (even while using the viewfinder) on other systems, this would be the perfect camera to implement that system.

At that point, again, you've gained a huge advantage through the touchscreen that would be impossible to reproduce otherwise.

Full touch functionality in the menu gives the potential for virtually infinite customization. Touchscreens don't just stop working after 4 years, moreover the only camera that I've ever had fail was when a button got smashed. My smartphone is 10 years old and works perfectly.

The only reason for anyone to be upset about this is if they're just upset about "change" and want to oppose any new ideas regardless of merit.

sorry, I can't comment this "smartphony" mentality.

Fujifilm X-E3 Electronic Viewfinder Same Size of EVF in Fujifilm X-T20 http://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-x-e3-electronic-viewfinder-size-evf-fujifilm-x-t20/

Are you sure? It looks like X-E3 will have smaller EVF because X-E2 is x0.64 but X-E3 is going to have x0.62.

What a present from Fuji! Instead of EVF improvement Fuji brought smaller EVF! It's probably EVF with the lowest magnification in APS-C mirrorless.

My initial reaction to the rumours was: disappointment! Now these pictures show that I was right. On seeing the pictures, I am left under-whelmed, lacking in interest, passionless, it seems that it almost certain that the X-E2s will be the last Fuji I ever buy.

Edited by Woodworth

Compare them side by side: http://www.fujirumors.com/enjoy-first-images-fujifilm-x-e3-front-back/

(There's a nice .GIF up now)

The X-E2 looks nice of you like cluttered aesthetics, but the X-E3 looks much more appropriate for the modern market.

Well ... still the same opinion. I am not impressed by the styling. The backside looks more like a weird Apple device than a camera.

Edited by johant

Why would you ever consider the X-E series at all?

This whole situation just sounds like someone shopping for a food processor in the carpentry section of a hardware store.

Because I'm concerned about weight when hiking for 3 days in complete autonomy and don't really need an ovf, as well as finding until now the x-e priced exactly where I situate my level of photography.

I need manual controls. That's what made me deeply enjoy photography, get involved and decent (I hope) at it. That analog feel. Have fun with your clean look and touchscreen thingy, can't wait to see what you do with it and how it takes better pictures than an x-e2 when you'll be fumbling with it instead of concentrating on what happens around you.

Yes, I'm kind of bitter because I feel let down by Fuji who I thought, had understood that many people like me wanted a modern analog camera. Now they're going full retard on technology, but technology per se never made great pictures. It can make life easier, but when overdone like this, it can also get in the way.

I'm still young but drive a 1992 Mercedes because it will never let me down and I don't need all the electronics of modern cars that I see failing day after day all around me. I still like a modern car if I rent one, but daily? No thanks. I vape on a regulated device at home because I appreciate the electronics in it, but if I go out for a week I grab my mechanical mod because it can't just stop working suddenly. I guess I'm just not into stupid consumerism and "newer is always better" I like reliable, sound stuff that doesn't decide for me what is best and when it will cease working.

This X-E3 is just a soul-less electronic device. I don't get emotional with my smartphone either. I am with my X-E1 because it has soul.

Edited by citral

I'm with johant regarding styling. I think the X-T20 has nicer styling even though I prefer the X-e line normally. I was hoping for something more business like, something that says that it's a serious camera, something to be appreciated. I can't quite put my finger on it but it just doesn't look right.

Imagine a smaller X-Pro2 without the optical viewfinder and you'd have a nicer looking camera from my perspective. 

Because I'm concerned about weight when hiking for 3 days in complete autonomy and don't really need an ovf, as well as finding until now the x-e priced exactly where I situate my level of photography.

I need manual controls. That's what made me deeply enjoy photography, get involved and decent (I hope) at it. That analog feel. Have fun with your clean look and touchscreen thingy, can't wait to see what you do with it and how it takes better pictures than an x-e2 when you'll be fumbling with it instead of concentrating on what happens around you.

Yes, I'm kind of bitter because I feel let down by Fuji who I thought, had understood that many people like me wanted a modern analog camera. Now they're going full retard on technology, but technology per se never made great pictures. It can make life easier, but when overdone like this, it can also get in the way.

I'm still young but drive a 1992 Mercedes because it will never let me down and I don't need all the electronics of modern cars that I see failing day after day all around me. I still like a modern car if I rent one, but daily? No thanks. I vape on a regulated device at home because I appreciate the electronics in it, but if I go out for a week I grab my mechanical mod because it can't just stop working suddenly. I guess I'm just not into stupid consumerism and "newer is always better" I like reliable, sound stuff that doesn't decide for me what is best and when it will cease working.

This X-E3 is just a soul-less electronic device. I don't get emotional with my smartphone either. I am with my X-E1 because it has soul.

The fundamental disconnect here is that you need to realize a touchscreen is now an absolute requirement for virtually any electronics device that has a screen, especially something that's going to retail for $1,000.

Touchscreens have become a basic language, it's a method of human communication, at this point it's probably safe to say that the majority of humanity is familiar with this type of functionality.

For Fuji to purely fit within your vision of their products would be like trying to publish a modern book in Latin because ancient poetry just doesn't sound the same translated to English.

Fuji still has all the ancient poetry, in fact they have more of it than anyone else, but for the sake of connecting different eras of humanity they have some side references in modern language.

This discussion makes me think of the Leica M-D: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/leica-m-d-typ-262/leica-m-d-typ-262A.HTM

There is your perfect camera, exactly as cameras were half a century ago. It's a neat idea but the thought of living with something like that every day is horrifying.

Oh! A nx300! Success assured.

The NX300 has no exposure dials, none, there is nothing about the X-E3 that deserves to be mocked like this.

The X-E3 adds an extra dial, and a joystick, and a touchscreen, that's a list of extra controls that everyone should be jumping for joy to have.

Analog cameras didn't have that many buttons to begin with.

I can agree that it would have been "nice" to have a few dedicated "custom" buttons on the back, maybe they'll do that for the X-E3s, but as-is 99.999% of Fuji's customers are going to see this as a "best in class" feature list compared to any other camera in this price range.

The fundamental disconnect here is that you need to realize a touchscreen is now an absolute requirement for virtually any electronics device that has a screen, especially something that's going to retail for $1,000.

Who says? I suspect that a large part of Fujifilm's target group thinks otherwise. Besides, the "screen only" design makes the camera bland and ugly.

The fundamental disconnect here is that you need to realize a touchscreen is now an absolute requirement for virtually any electronics device that has a screen.

It's like if biker would tell to cyclist that the fundamental disconnect here is that he need to realize an engine is now an absolute requirement for virtually any vehicle that has some wheels.

The fundamental disconnect here is that you need to realize a touchscreen is now an absolute requirement for virtually any electronics device that has a screen

Oh right, that's why when tablets became widespread it would be the end of the desktop as we know it. Not only it is not, manufacturers have backpedaled and added a keyboard to their devices (like the microsoft surface) when people started to realize you cannot work efficiently that way (writing long posts and emails on touchscreen, how convenient).

A touchscreen has its use when portability is a must and time/working "blind" is not an issue. It is not a "must-have" on a camera. You're obviously more a gearhead than a photographer, I understand there is a market for that and Fuji is maybe right to go in that direction, but maybe not.

Edited by citral

Personally I don't like a touch screen having used one on an Olympus Pen-F. Essential seemingly to some but by no means universally essential. I turned the touch screen on the Olympus Pen-F off as I kept accidentally activating things. It made it all quite annoying but on the Olympus at least, it could be deactivated and I expect this will also be the case with the X-E3.

I'm waiting for September 7th in the hope that Patrick was fed a few red herrings and the pictures and specifications he posted are deliberate fakes so that the actual X-E3 will be something much nicer, better and altogether more buyable.