Fuji X-E3 rumors

Patrick FR

Looking at the latest list of what the X-E3 is rumoured to have as specification, the question "why bother?" comes to mind.

The only advantage seems to be the 24mp sensor and better AF. Yes, better AF is really good and much needed but from what I've seen the difference between 16 mp and 24mp isn't all that much. Yes, it's an improvement but when I compared X-T2 and X-T1 images the increase in resolution was fairly small in reality. I truly hope these are just rumours and that Fuji prove that rumours are just that - speculation!

No tilting screen, no IBIS, no D-pad, no combined Shutter/ISO dial, max Shutter Speed still 1/4000, more expensive than X-T20, no pop up flash, hmmm - not looking all that good really. For me IBIS and a tilting rear screen are both very important features and their absence are probably a deal killer.

Edited by Woodworth

Fujifilm X-E3: No D-Pad, No Shutter/ISO Dial, No Pop-Up Flash, No IBIS… & MORE SPECS  RUMOR HERE: http://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-x-e3-no-d-pad-no-shutteriso-dial-no-pop-flash-no-ibis-specs/

Fujifilm X-E3 Will Have a New Touch Screen (Better than X-T20)--- RUMOR HERE: http://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-x-e3-will-new-touch-screen-better-x-t20/

I think touchscreens are really important for the kinds of devices where people want them - like phones. But for a stills camera built around a philosophy of using physical controls, it's a step in the wrong direction. It's possibly a mistake. If you want touchscreen controlled cameras, there will be others that are entirely screen-based with no dials or switches. Whereas if you want dials and switches, a touchscreen is not an advantage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Better touchscreen functionality is very important in this day and age, that news is highly encouraging. Everything sounds great so far.

Just try to operate your camera with a touchscreen for a couple of hours on a windy day when the temperature is below -10C / 14F. You'll be pleased.

Wow, after reading those last two comments my computer screen got saturated with enough negatively charged energy it sucked the cat right off my desk.

Statler and Waldorf would be proud of you guys.

Negativity? I'm not so sure. I think it's disappointment.

If the rumoured specs are right then the X-E3 will be less exciting than the X-E2s was. Yes, you can keep a positive frame of mind and yes you can be loyal to the brand - if that's critical to you but at the end of the day Fuji is in the business of selling products to a group of enthusiastic consumers and if the new product is a lame duck, they can expect the consumer to be disappointed.

I don't understand why the X-E3 can't have more useful features, why does it have to be a rubbish version of the X-Pro2? There is room for an X-E3 with IBIS, tilting screen and all the rest of the various features now apparently discounted as well as an X-pro2. Fuji, why not simply see which one is more popular and make future decisions based on that? There are quite a lot of used X-pro2 cameras on the market here in the UK right now b.t.w.

I like my X-E2s but to buy the X-E3 I would have to have good reasons to do so. Apparently I'll be keeping my X-E2s.

Edited by Woodworth

Negativity? I'm not so sure. I think it's disappointment.

Absolutely. I'd passed X-Pro2 (due its size and weight) and X-T2 (due its t-shirt form factor) in favor of possible X-E3 arrival. Alas I was wrong. So, now I might consider X-Pro2 or more likely wait for the next generation. Meantime I'll keep myself busy with recently acquired Olympus 35SP and Minolta X-700 with the bunch of great Rokkors.

Edited by mdm

The trouble with the X-Pro2 is that it really should be full frame at that size (take a look at the Sony A7 series for example), so unless you happen to like or need a big camera that is APSC, it has limited appeal - to me anyway.

I truly hope that these rumours are a load of none-sense. It really does not make any sense for Fuji to shoot itself in the foot and bring out some kind of dumbed down, low spec X-E3. I can see that there may be a concern that having a better X-E3 than the fairly new X-pro2 is confusing for the purchaser but really I think that the X-E3 should be as good as they can make it , even if it makes the X-pro2 look like it's had it's day. I don't think Fuji are stupid after all, why bring out a dinky toy* when people want a real car?

(* = an old fashioned metal toy car)

But with what full frame is today, APSC is still at a disadvantage quality wise in comparison, at least from my experience. The weight/bulk of lenses is certainly an issue still with what is currently on the market. For example, I'd rather use a Fuji 23/1.4 than a Sony/Zeiss 35 1.4 when it comes to having to carry the equipment, but in terms of IQ the Sony has the advantage when it comes to IQ alone (to be fair, the only advantage). I use both Sony A7 cameras and Fuji X cameras so my points are based on my own user experience.

There is an argument to be made that perhaps there should be a full frame Fuji that is priced in between the Fuji X and the GFX systems. If this were the case, I would ditch my Sony cameras in favour of the Fuji but realistically as things stand, the Sony cameras give me IQ that the X range don't and whilst the GFX is tempting, it is a bit pricy and lacks a wide enough lens for my needs (I regularly use a 15mm on my Sony). So I'm a bit stuck. It's fair to say that I do like the X range for what it is, it's just that it has a few limitations as no camera can be all things to all men, so to speak. I wouldn't have used a Leica instead of a Hasselblad, for commercial work in  the day.

Getting back to the X-E3 (the topic in question), I do hope Fuji don't disappoint!

Edited by Woodworth

If these X-E3 specs are right I am selling Fuji - small X-E line with corner EVF was the only Fuji I liked though I did not liked 200iso base and 2/3 EV cheating. I expected X-E3 will bring better/improved camera control and more direct access to features for my style of shooting, but it looks like Fuji made big step back. With these specs X-E line just died for me, it's rather like X-M on steroids. With regret, but I will have to say goodbye Fuji.     

I haven't seen anything to indicate that this is less of a camera than the X-Pro 2, the rumors still indicate nothing but moving the X-E3 closer to the high end feature set (as we should expect if the price goes up).

-The Best Autofocus

-Focus Point Joystick

-4K Video

Having a swivel on the screen is very handy I agree, but it also conflicts with the goal of making it as compact as possible. As long as they keep the wireless remote in good working order then the lack of a tilting screen isn't as much of an issue.

Blutooth functionality could have good implications for the wireless capabilities.

Fuji has always been strong in their hardware quality and photographic capabilities, but the UI and software capabilities has been a weak point.

"I haven't seen anything to indicate that this is less of a camera than the X-Pro 2"

Buy some glasses, no iso dial, dumbed down automatic/mode dial, no d-pad, touchscreen etc instead of manual controls, what is next no viewfinder ? This is an entry-level / beginners / fiddlers camera priced way too high for that segment. Fuji has become greedy and are aiming only for market shares, not for photographers share as they once did, the f2 lenses were already a pretty good hint on their new position. I'm very disappointed tbh, I really believed fuji was not another sony/canon but hey, it's not that bad my 35mm f1.4 and x-e1 will still be a fantastic combo (albeit a bit sluggish) in 10 years so...

"I haven't seen anything to indicate that this is less of a camera than the X-Pro 2"

Buy some glasses, no iso dial, dumbed down automatic/mode dial, no d-pad, touchscreen etc instead of manual controls, what is next no viewfinder ? This is an entry-level / beginners / fiddlers camera priced way too high for that segment. Fuji has become greedy and are aiming only for market shares, not for photographers share as they once did, the f2 lenses were already a pretty good hint on their new position. I'm very disappointed tbh, I really believed fuji was not another sony/canon but hey, it's not that bad my 35mm f1.4 and x-e1 will still be a fantastic combo (albeit a bit sluggish) in 10 years so...

Everything you've said is obviously a facade, this is nothing but sad excuses to convince yourself not to upgrade (or more likely you want to find an excuse to purchase of a different brand).

Of course you're not wrong to keep using the same camera but all you're doing right now is complaining about everything with no sense of direction or logic and sitting here blasting Fuji when all they're doing is listening to consumers and improving their system. Maybe that's not first degree trolling but it's not far off.

1. The X-E3 has just as many dials as the X-E1/2 and X-Pro1.

2. If you think the existance of an "Auto" mode is a bad thing you should join a Leica club. Having an easily accessible "Auto" switch is a legitimate improvement to any camera (a.k.a. Bigfoot Mode).

3. Here's where I know you're trolling. The X-E3 is getting the Joystick the same as the X-T2 and X-Pro2, but you complain about the lack of a D-Pad? The most common "low end" feature of "entry level" cameras?

That's some fantastic mental gymnastics.

4. Again, the X-E3 has no fewer manual controls than the X-E2 or your own X-E1, it is simply a superior camera to anything Fuji has made before.

If you don't like a touchscreen you never have to use it, but the way you're acting makes it sound like adding more features is ruining Fuji, this has got to be one of the worst cases of "Kids Get Off My Lawn" syndrome that I've ever seen.

I think that many have expressed their disappointment at the freshly rumoured specs for the X-E3 in different ways, citral being just one example. Whilst I don't wholeheartedly agree, I see the sentiment.

Fortunately rumours are just that, rumours and not actual fact. The truth will be revealed for the better or worst very soon. I hope that Fuji have learned from their customers and listened to our wishes (as they have previously) and that the new X-E3 won't be as awful as is rumoured.

The rumours are based on leaked images, comments and hints from trusted sources and probably some speculation. This is something that can be very misleading, I hope it is in this case. I'd imagine that Fuji have several prototype X-E3 cameras being tested in the field and perhaps a completely different model or two at the same time. This would mean that perhaps the information we have is somewhat confused. I think that at worst we'll get the X-T2 sensor and AF in a body somewhat similar to the X-E2s, I don't think the X-E2 will morph into too different.

For me it needs a tilt screen and IBIS to make me want to buy it, but I shall wait and see.

If these X-E3 specs are right I am selling Fuji - small X-E line with corner EVF was the only Fuji I liked though I did not liked 200iso base and 2/3 EV cheating. I expected X-E3 will bring better/improved camera control and more direct access to features for my style of shooting, but it looks like Fuji made big step back...

What you are looking for is a X-Pro2, best improvement over the X-E line possible :D

Everything you've said is obviously a facade, this is nothing but sad excuses to convince yourself not to upgrade (or more likely you want to find an excuse to purchase of a different brand).

Of course you're not wrong to keep using the same camera but all you're doing right now is complaining about everything with no sense of direction or logic and sitting here blasting Fuji when all they're doing is listening to consumers and improving their system. Maybe that's not first degree trolling but it's not far off.

1. The X-E3 has just as many dials as the X-E1/2 and X-Pro1.

2. If you think the existance of an "Auto" mode is a bad thing you should join a Leica club. Having an easily accessible "Auto" switch is a legitimate improvement to any camera (a.k.a. Bigfoot Mode).

3. Here's where I know you're trolling. The X-E3 is getting the Joystick the same as the X-T2 and X-Pro2, but you complain about the lack of a D-Pad? The most common "low end" feature of "entry level" cameras?

That's some fantastic mental gymnastics.

4. Again, the X-E3 has no fewer manual controls than the X-E2 or your own X-E1, it is simply a superior camera to anything Fuji has made before.

If you don't like a touchscreen you never have to use it, but the way you're acting makes it sound like adding more features is ruining Fuji, this has got to be one of the worst cases of "Kids Get Off My Lawn" syndrome that I've ever seen.

Why do you feel the need to overly defend the X-E3 and attack me personally ? 

1. That might be true, we'll see. When I saw "no iso/shutter dial" I understood no shutter dial AT ALL (like the X-M1). I'm probably wrong when I think of it again. No, they can't... wait... maybe they can. This would be a huge NO for me.

2. What does this have to do with Leica ? I don't need it. If I needed it I'd buy something else than an X-E (try to think of that in a calm, constructive way, X-E line is not a "clueless" line it's for evolving photographs) More unneeded features = more things to potentially break, and more expensive a camera.

3. I don't want my quick d-pad setting being replaced by a touch screen. It's not a troll (what kind of troll would that be? On what planet are you living?) I like hardware. Buttons. Click. Touchscreen, on my smartphone. Buttons on my cameras.

The fantastic mental gymnastics is to think a touchscreen that will stop working in 5 years is AWESOME.

4.Lol. Superior to anything. BIG WORDS.

More features is ruining Fuji, you've read it. I'm interrested in basically the same camera as the X-E1, with a bit more features : improved sensor, better AF, joystick, quicker way to change iso. Make it cheaper as well. The end. I buy a camera to make pictures, in the most practical possible way, not to toy around with "features" I don't need. Seems you like that, to each his own.

Now on your first attack, I don't get it. I'm waiting since 6 months to decide and will upgrade, and that will be an X-PRO2 that suits what I just said. The X-E3 is a disapointment. I have no need to "convince" myself to not upgrade or to switch brands, wtf? I just need a better AF (and a quicker way to move it) sometimes. But it seems you know better than me what I need, want, and think...

Edited by citral

What are you talking about? Lack of d-pad means lack of 4 fn buttons! You may never use but for me it enough reason to reject such camera because it will lenght camera operation when I need to set features in the fly in street shooting and reportage. I remember time when Fuji users asked Fuji for "1 more fn button", but now it takes off four of them! Touched lcd does not replece it at all.

Edited by renes

What you are looking for is a X-Pro2, best improvement over the X-E line possible :D

Yes, but it's big... and big reason for not buying it. + Fuji big issue is buttons placement, one of the worst I have experienced. I.e, AF-L button using for back focusing is uselles, also in X-Pro2.