Fuji X-E3 rumors

Patrick FR

You are making an interesting point.

“....Fujifilm might take a close look how the Fujifilm X-E2S sells compared to the X-T10 in the next months. If the X-E2S sells well and won’t be cannibalized by the X-T10, showing Fuji that there is a good market also for rangefinder styled cameras, then I have high hopes that Fujifilm will launch the Fujifilm X-E3 in 2017… but if the X-E2S doesn’t sell, then I’m afraid we can say good-bye to the X-E line...."

But to make the future of the X-E series depend upon how successful the sales of the X-E2S will be compared to the X-T10 is a bit ill advised, methinks, since there will be quite a few hurdles to be overcome by the X-E2S.

First of all yes, this camera will be a little better than the older X-E2 even after the update but not by much.

To date there are still a certain amount of X-E2 new in the shops and hopefully they will start selling them now after they haven’t sold for a very long time, because of the update and the price reduction.

Now an older X-E2 costs, in the NL, €76 less than a X-T10. So, yes, some folks would prefer the X-E2 now that it is cheaper and gets at least a similar firmware.

The sales of the old model ( and the secondhand X-E2 which will be getting to the market) will be in the way of the X-E2S coming into its own at least for several months until the stock is sold out.

Only afterwards one will see the X-E2S sell in more or less larger numbers. That will depend on many things.

Currently the X-E2S is €25 more expensive than the X-T10. That doesn’t seem wise to me.

The real game changer will actually be the NEXT firmware update that I can only suppose will only ever concern the X-E2S ( A model, in my opinion) introduced exactly to halt the kaizen expectations of the X-E2 owners.

We will have kaizen for the X-E2S and not for the X-E2.

That, to me, was the only reason why we have an X-E2S now! They cocked up the too abrupt interruption of kaizen for the X-E2. This generated a lot of bad publicity. They put this halfway model on the market with some purpose in mind. I am quite sure that we will understand in future what purpose that is. My opinion is that it was a simply strategic motive and that It will simply serve the purpose to halt the Kaizen here on the X-E2.

Anyway, the way Fuji dealt with the self created internal competition with the X-T10, created a natural obstacle for the development of the X-E3 if its development would depend on how the market would respond to the confusion created by themselves.

The introduction of so many models is going to be detrimental because they are not gaining more market share by that but competing with their own models.

The X-E2(s) and the X-T10 were always and still are fishing in the same pond.

This theory about the X-E3 depending on sales of the X-2S is very strange to say the least. The X-E2S is nothing but a very modest warm-up of the X-E2, offering basically the same image quality as the old XE1. If I'd be in the market for a range finder camera like this, I'd go for a cheap second hand X-E2 or even E1 and wait for a real update with the X-Trans 3. The X-trans II is too old now to be sold in a new camera in 2016.

I consider the X-E2S camera that was not needed at all.

It's a real shame that they didn't add weather resistance to the X-E2s. As it stands, the only WR rangefinder is the X-Pro2, which is a pretty huge leap in price from the non-WR RF bodies, and will tend to slant sales towards the XT-1, regardless of consumer preference in body shape.

As a happy fuji shooter who has no preference between body shape, it is an interesting situation.

When I purchased the XT-10 it was cheaper (in the UK) compared to the X-E2, which at the time with inferior auto focus and shutter compared to XT-10.

If I was buying the camera now an the choice was between the X-E2s and the XT-10 and the price was the same. I would have thought a lot harder about which model to buy.

At the time of writing the X-E2s is £50 more expensive than the XT-10, has a bigger viewfinder, and a higher res screen, but the XT-10 features a tilting screen.

The difference I don't get from the specs on Fujifilm.eu/uk is with the continuous shooting it list the following

X-E2S - Approx. 7.0 fps (JPEG : max. approx. 18 frames)

X-T10 - Approx. 8.0 fps (JPEG : max. approx. 8 frames)

Same sensor, same processor (maybe a slight difference in RAM?)

Back to no X-E3 this year, I'd be surprised to see a replacement to the X-E2s or an X-T10 this year, as they would potentially hurt sales of just released high end products, especially if the differences are similar to the differences between the XT-1 and XT-10.

Apart from, the viewfinder, WR, and continuous shooting buffer there is not a lot if any difference between the cameras, and for the additional price, it is not worth it for a lot of shooters (yes there are lots that require the extras and they are willing to pay for it), but potentially a lot of early adopters would wait if they new they could get 90% of the camera for 70% of the price if they only had to wait a few weeks/months.

there was over a year between the X-T1 release and X-T10 release, so I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see replacements for X-T10 and X-E2s until summer/autumn (fall) 2016 

[...]

there was over a year between the X-T1 release and X-T10 release, so I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see replacements for X-T10 and X-E2s until summer/autumn (fall) 2016 

Technically they would need to release the X-T2 first before releasing a replacement/follow up of the X-T10.

But I do concur that the X-E2S doesn't seems to be making a lot of sense, even marketing wise, unless it is being targeted at some Asian countries like Thailand where the smaller X-A series is having quite a large success, maybe something to bring those market to a bit higher more complex cameras ?

I don't know, it sounds far fetched even as I say it myself. While I do not like the range finder look I would still find it disappointing to have the X-E series being discontinued, diversity is always good for choices.

No X-E3 would be very sad!!!

I doubt that the X-E2s will sell well. Anyone owning an X-E2 will get the X-E2s by firmware on February 4th. And everyone who wants to step into the Fuji X system will grab the little brother of the DSLR shaped success story (X-T1) - the X-T10.

I hope Fuji will do it like they did with X-Pro1 and X-E1 - X-Pro2 > X-E3 (X-T2, X-T20)!!!

I won't buy any DSLR-shaped cam. So please Fuji make a smaller HVF-less X-Pro2 - the X-E3! [ And add the X70 screen ;) ]

I would buy the X-E3 if it had the same sensor as the X-Pro2.

But I think the new sensor will trickle down from expensive high end cameras like the X-Pro2 to the X-T2, the X200, the X-E3, the X-T20, to consumer cameras like the X-A3 or X-M2.

This process may take two or three years I guess.

I am sure that their marketing department might be discussing this already, since any project leading to the future release of the X-E3 would have to start way ahead of the release date .

I guess, in the end, that they will do what they think it will be right to do. Voting or appealing to their mercy will have very little effect.

When that time comes, the time to pursue or ditch the idea of a X-E3, we will know what they’ve come up with... or perhaps better to say that we will “ know " when they decide to leak a rumor so that we can talk about it and they can see what happens among a group of more or less representative of Fuji camera buyers.

Which leads me to the thing that I’ve been wondering how much statistical significance, at the end of the day, fora have and how representative are we of the real world and market out there.

In other words, we might not at all be representative of the majority of the buyers!

Believe it I know for a fact that there are many Fuji users who are not on line much and I would be very curious to know the actual percentage of people who actually download any firmware compared to the total of cameras sold.

I have just bought a X-E2. The camera still had firmware 1.0 and the owner had never updated it.

I honestly did not expect an X-E3 to be released within a year of the X-E2s or X-Pro2 to prevent the former from cannibalizing sales of either of the later releases. X-T2 using the new sensor will also have to wait but, perhaps, not a full year.

The new sensor will probably be incorporated into the X-T2, first, followed by a X-E3 but, if Fujifilm waits too long to transition the new sensor into other bodies, they may not be able to take advantage of reduced sensor cost and increased profit/competitiveness before the sensor loses its shine in the market.

The optical viewfinder is something I can live without, though. Its usefulness at longer focal lengths is less than at the shorter end. Frankly speaking, OVF on a fixed lens design makes a lot more sense than on an interchangeable lens so I would have omitted it from the X-Pro2 in favor of other super-premium features. The X-E line's selling point is its rangefinder style at a lower cost but I am not sure the OVF of the X-Pro line is as attractive as, maybe, some other feature(s).

Fuji are calling the processor in the x-pro2 the "x processor pro". I have the feeling that they want to limit the use of the new processor and the X trans 3 sensor to their "pro" bodies only, i.e. the x-pro2 and x-t2.

Therefore, it may be quite a long time before we see an x-t20, x-e3 or x200 with x-trans 3, shutter/iso combined dial etc.

That might be their plan but other camera manufacturers will probably force their hand by releasing just as capable but cheaper cameras than the x-pro2 within the next couple of years.

Fuji are calling the processor in the x-pro2 the "x processor pro". I have the feeling that they want to limit the use of the new processor and the X trans 3 sensor to their "pro" bodies only, i.e. the x-pro2 and x-t2.

Therefore, it may be quite a long time before we see an x-t20, x-e3 or x200 with x-trans 3, shutter/iso combined dial etc.

That might be their plan but other camera manufacturers will probably force their hand by releasing just as capable but cheaper cameras than the x-pro2 within the next couple of years.

It is tough to say what they mean by "pro" because when you call the support line you press 1 for consumer based cameras or 2 for professional x-series cameras; at least in the US.

I agree it will be a while before we see this new tech in the mid level bodies. If you look back at the X-Pro1, it was about equal to the X-E1 and then surpassed by the X-E2 in many technical ways. I would think that Fujifilm would want to start putting a little more gap between the mid-range and high-range models. 

As an XE1 owner who has been waiting for the XE3, I was very disappointed in the news of the XE2s, which is a 2 year old camera with a larger grip and new firmware. If I were going to upgrade now, there's no compelling reason why I (and anyone else) shouldn't just buy an XE2 for less money and upgrade the firmware. I don't think the XE2s will sell very well.

I don't enjoy the shooting experience with a center viewfinder at all, so no XT series for me, And I'm not buying an XPro2 as I dont need an OVF, and it's too big and heavy for my needs which defeats the point of going mirrorless, IMO.

If we have to buy the XE2s to ever see and XE3, then we will never see an XE3 and Fuji will likely lose me as a customer.

I’ve just updated the firmware of my new secondhand ( as new) bought X-E2.

It is really a nice neat camera and will very well perform for its intended use as a second body next my X-T1.

There has to be a reason why Fuji introduced the S(uper) X-E2S model other than the minor differences with the upgraded “ normal” X-E2. For the time being these differences aren’t such that we can understand they vision behind this.

One thing is for sure. Nothing happens without a reason.

I gave ^ my interpretation of the introduction of the S model above. 

We shall see whether it is right or wrong, but something is most certainly the matter.

We don’t know how big is the stock of old X-E2 but the shops around me are selling them at €599 while the X-E2S is €699. The X-T10 is now at €675, so a tad more convenient than the S  model.

The price has been recently lowered €25, they were priced the same before as the X-E2.

So there has to be something to make the S model worth €100 more than the X-E2 and €25 more than the X-T10. We don’t know, yet, what that “ something” is.

Until that becomes clear and until there will be X-E2 in stock probably the buyers will think that they would save themselves €100 and buy the older model.

It will take some time before all the old stock and the secondhand X-E2 will sell out or thin out.

But I am confident that we will soon find out why €100 extra is required other than the firmware that one can update oneself.

I dont think fuji decides over making an e3 depending only on sales numbers of the e2s - the e-line has its own market as the entry-level rangefinder camera with interchangeable lenses. In my opinion the camera line-up of fuji is only completed since the release of the t10. There are two body-shapes to choose from and two price-ranges. Maybe they delay the x-e3 to 2017 or later, but why release a very slightly improvement before killing a whole good-selling line?

the problem is exactly the “ good selling “ line. Is it selling?

Throughout the introduction of the X-T10 the sales of the X-E2 ( so I am told from the shop where I buy my things) fell to an all time low.

For the time being they are now selling the stock of X-E2 because of the new firmware but the X-E2S is not selling like hot cakes, actually is not selling at all!

Only when the X-E2 stock will be completely sold, maybe, the X-E2S would start selling.

Don't see any reason to halt X-E line, as future costs of production could be low and demand among the current customer base high enough to generate solid revenue. All Fuji will has to do is put new (already desined and tested) hardware into almost the same body. Easy.

Very valid points everyone.. I am new to the Fuji line and actually just purchased my first camera, the X-e2 not the X-e2s simply because they are almost identical cameras except for a few design features. I honestly thing the x-e2s was a complete waste of money to put out. I saved $300 on the kit for getting the X-e2. I think both body styles are welcomed in this market as long as they keep up with the firmware updates. Why produce new cameras every year like Sony unless you are making significant increases like the x-pro2 did when all you need to do is update the firmware to make it a better camera. 

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I wrote this a few weeks ago on depreview:

My theory as to X-E2s instead of X-E3: Fuji is trying to synchronize their bodies.

Just my hunch, but this year Fuji will be bringing 2 pro type cameras, the X-Pro2 & X-T2. I think they'll have similar specs with of course different body styles and a few key changes (like tilt-screen, EVF only, dials, etc...)

I think the following year (2017) they'll update their two mid-range bodies, X-E3 & X-T20. Again, they'll have similar specs, but catering to different customers that prefer rangefinder style vs SLR style bodies.

So in the mean time, they'll have a stop gap body, the E2s while giving a good FW update (don't have a E2 so not sure how good FW it really is for you guys) for exiting E2 owners.

My background is design. It's always great to be able to design two different products, that will share many key components. It cuts down on design, time and money. That's how I came to my theory.

I wrote this a few weeks ago on depreview:

My theory as to X-E2s instead of X-E3: Fuji is trying to synchronize their bodies.

Just my hunch, but this year Fuji will be bringing 2 pro type cameras, the X-Pro2 & X-T2. I think they'll have similar specs with of course different body styles and a few key changes (like tilt-screen, EVF only, dials, etc...)

I think the following year (2017) they'll update their two mid-range bodies, X-E3 & X-T20. Again, they'll have similar specs, but catering to different customers that prefer rangefinder style vs SLR style bodies.

So in the mean time, they'll have a stop gap body, the E2s while giving a good FW update (don't have a E2 so not sure how good FW it really is for you guys) for exiting E2 owners.

My background is design. It's always great to be able to design two different products, that will share many key components. It cuts down on design, time and money. That's how I came to my theory.

This is most likely to happen

*edit*

I would not be surprised if they are released later (end of summer onwards) in 2017 or early 2018; especially if the XT-2/XT-20 follows the XT-1/XT-10 of carrying most of the features from the high end product into the mid rang body.

To allow time to maximise revenue from the premium products.

Buyers like myself when chosen between the XT1 and 10 where they only major hardware differences were Weather Sealing, and a smaller buffer, opted for the XT-10, as neither of those features justified the extra price (for me)

Edited by Tikcus

• 2 weeks later...

My personal conspiracy theory on the X-E2s is that component cost reduction and component obsolescence were the driving factors. The expense of any sort of re-design is large and requires sales of many cameras to recoup. Certainly, the MSRP for the X-E2s is much lower on release than the original X-E2. Re-designs without adding a new feature capable of selling it need a very good reason. To me, cost reduction and addressing obsolete parts are the two most likely suspects. Otherwise, I would let the X-E2 continue without changes for another year. Look how long the X-Pro1 lasted on the market.

• 1 year later...