Fuji X-E3 rumors

Patrick FR

Well, it will be interesting to read what Rico Pfirstinger has to say about the camera's ergonomics and the lack of physical controls.

The lack of physical controls - that's a very interesting observation. One of the features that I think most Fuji users like is the old fashioned use of dials and knobs (as well as the picture qualities, the lenses, etc, etc). I think you've hit the nail on the head. Also, comments like "a dumbed down X-T20" on the rumour site seem to reflect this observation. I don't like the way the X-E line is going so I won't be buying an X-E3 without a damascene conversion!

I like the idea that I can operate the camera without having to think too much about what I'm doing. I'd prefer all Fuji cameras to have very similar button layouts so one can go seamlessly from one to another and not struggle to operate the camera because of differing button lay out. The X-E3 is just too far removed from the X-E2s to appeal as far as buttons/controls go.

Also, in line with similar cameras from other manufacturers, I had hoped for IBIS and an articulated screen.

I am waiting eagerly for your English or German (whichever comes first) hands-on report, with your impressions of the touch screen plus joystick combination! [emoji4]

It's a mixed bag.

E3 is a T20 with different design, but Fuji is currently withholding the firmware to make the T20 on par with the E3: no new AF system, no color histogram planned for the November update. That's unfortunate.

Edited by flysurfer

The accusation being made is that "having a touchscreen" makes the camera worse. That accusation is utter nonsense.

Once again you're acting like a Troll trying to distract from the issue at hand. You just brought up video for the fist time in this entire discussion when the only problem here is you seem to hate touchscreens for no good reason. You have still failed to apply logic to any response.

You're wrong because you have yet to make any logical statement about why the touchscreen is bad.

The only line of reasoning that would lead anyone to believe that Fuji made a negative change is the lack of 3 Fn buttons, I've said this multiple times now, but you just keep trying to say that the touchscreen itself is bad and you never apply logic or reason to any of your statements. Everything you've said on the subject is utter nonsense.

It's obvious that your entire motivation for not liking the touchscreen is that Fuji changed the button layout in ways you didn't expect, and now you're mad at Fuji for not meeting your expectations.

Stop slandering amazing new features just because you're bitter

Tone down and stop insulting me.

It's just like saying "everyone loves a 23mm". First, it's not true. You could say "most of the people love a 23mm" I suppose, but a LOT of pro art photographers use a 35 (50FF). If a 23mm does not work for me, because I find it "in-between", not wide, neither normal, in nowhere land, does that make me automatically an idiot who does not embrace what "everybody" loves ?

No that makes me someone who have found HIS OWN way into photography, and uses the tool he finds corresponds to his vision.

Here is what Charlene Winfred, who actually makes photos opposed to toying around has to say about the X-E3 :

Touchscreen

This one comes with a touchscreen, which I tried out several times, as you’ll see in the video above (go on, watch it, it’s award winning stuff). Touchscreens on cameras are generally wasted on me though. I love the X series for the its dials and buttons, although previewing images and changing settings on the quick (Q) menu was a bit fun with the touchscreen, if only for the novelty.

At the moment, with the pre-production unit I have, you also have to turn the touchscreen and all its up-down-left-right swipe-able settings off, before you flick it to EVF, or your nose will activate the touchscreen. After several rounds of changing film simulations, focus settings and what-not with my nose (being left eye dominant), I simply turned the touchscreen off altogether and left it like that. Too fiddly, having to enable and disable stuff everytime I changed view modes.

Will you call her an idiot for not embracing technology?

Edited by citral

At the moment, with the pre-production unit I have, you also have to turn the touchscreen and all its up-down-left-right swipe-able settings off, before you flick it to EVF, or your nose will activate the touchscreen. After several rounds of changing film simulations, focus settings and what-not with my nose (being left eye dominant), I simply turned the touchscreen off altogether and left it like that.

Well, that is exactly what I said, a few days ago. An always on touchscreen will be a nightmare for left eye shooters.

According to the recent reviews you have to swap on the touchscreen (even when using the EVF) to simulate the D-PAD behaviour. Unfortunately, if you're left-eyed, or just wish to turn-off screen touch you're left without a quick way to change settings then. Ok no more posting from me, I'll just pass on this one.

Being able to select AF points with the touchscreen while looking through the EVF is a HUGE advancement!

This is the fastest method of AF selection ever invented, undoubtedly this is an order of magnitude faster than any other method.

The biggest disappointment is that they don't have "scrolling" in menus with the touchscreen. Hopefully the "Q" menu can be customized to include most of the deep menu settings that are normally harder to find and access quickly.

I'd be interested to know just how many people like the X-E3. I don't know how to set up a poll (even though I don't think Fuji will pay attention to it!), but I'd like to see who actually wants to buy the X-E3 versus those who will choose to stick to the existing X-E camera or buy something else.

There has been a lot of very vocal negativism, from me and many others as the X-E3 seems to be morphing into a smartphone and away from being a serious camera. I'd have been quite happier if they had chose to introduce it as an X-A camera with an EVF instead and given us an upgraded X-E2s with the new sensor, focus, joystick, IBIS and articulated screen - then we could all have been happy.  In essence, it's too small and too gimmicky.

To be positive, I welcome the sensor, the improved AF, the joystick and even the top plate re-design but that's where it ends. To sum up my wish-list, I'd have liked IBIS, an articulated screen and similar controls to the X-E2s.

Edited by Woodworth

Although I've eagerly preordered the X-E3 to replace my E2s, I think the touchscreen is a minor net negative when considered together with the absent D-pad. As an old fogey, I almost always use the viewfinder, so the touchpad is pretty much in exactly the wrong place -- shoved against my cheek -- for a physical control interface. Not the end of the world for me, but I can see it would be a problem for some shooters.

I have to say that despite all the hugely negative things comments I have made about the X-E3, I will probably get one. I hate myself for doing this :angry: , it's hugely hypocritical and I may well end up returning it immediately, but I have to give it a go. A bit like making children eat things they don't like a few times, I may well end up loving it  :wub:  ! Who knows? 

I've kind of got over my initial disappointment and am trying to like it.

I have to say that despite all the hugely negative things comments I have made about the X-E3, I will probably get one. I hate myself for doing this :angry: , it's hugely hypocritical and I may well end up returning it immediately, but I have to give it a go.

I will not. I really hate touch screens (like on screen keyboards, for instance), and being a left eye shooter with glasses probably makes it worse.

My first upgrade is likely going to be when Fujifilm release a X100 model with proper WR.

OTOH, I could very well see my wife wanting a X-E3, to use with the 27mm. She prefers to use the camera in "auto" mode most of the time anyway.

"OTOH, I could very well see my wife wanting a X-E3, to use with the 27mm. She prefers to use the camera in "auto" mode most of the time anyway."

It is kind of like an X100 with interchangeable lenses really.

I think from what I've read that it may be possible to operate it without using the touch screen as the joy stick can be used to navigate the menu, if this is the case I will just switch off the touch screen and use it the old fashioned way. This way I think I can get on with it.

If Fuji were to make a slimmed down X-Pro2 without the optical finder but with a tilt-able screen and IBIS, I would be overjoyed!

Edited by Woodworth

I think from what I've read that it may be possible to operate it without using the touch screen as the joy stick can be used to navigate the menu

But what is gonna move the focus point then?

I don't think it's wrong at all to try it if you can return it easily, I'd do it too. And only stupid people never change their mind.

Please report about those specific "problems" we are all talking about regarding ergonomics, if you can act as if you're left-eyed to see how it plays it would be awesome too.

Edited by citral