Fuji X-E3 rumors

Patrick FR

It's simple for me - and I do not need to read Rico Pfirstinger review or other Fuji "guys" reviews to know the X-E3 value for me - it's low.

Shoting mostly with VF I can't accept X-E2 successor that has only x0.62 magnification - even smaller then X-E2! I expected X-E3 at least with x.0.70 as Sony A6300/6500 has, or around it, but not that tiny EVF taken from X-30. So, this and same terrible small, narrow, a "point-and-shot' style eyepiece without eye cup, it's enough reason to give up X-E3.

But there are 2 more ones that I haven't expected:

2). Lack of D-pad with Fn buttons that are very important for direct and fast access to set features. Touched LCD will sloooooooooooooooooow it!

3). Lack of tilt LCD in 2018. It's a falt.

Tilt LCD is very useful in that many street/reportage situations where you need to be as descret as possible. I really hoped for it. I found it lack in any Fuji cam with corner EVF as big mistake.  

X-E3 is aimed for people who love to play and shot with LCD and do not count the time. Not for me.

I am waiting for Nikon FF mirrorless now and also for A6500 successor that may have two more command dials - it has many Fn buttons, tilt LCD, larger x-0.70 EVF, well placed AF-L button for back AF and new 16/1.4 is expecting from Sony. We will see.

I'd be interested to know just how many people like the X-E3. I don't know how to set up a poll (even though I don't think Fuji will pay attention to it!), but I'd like to see who actually wants to buy the X-E3 versus those who will choose to stick to the existing X-E camera or buy something else.

There has been a lot of very vocal negativism, from me and many others as the X-E3 seems to be morphing into a smartphone and away from being a serious camera. I'd have been quite happier if they had chose to introduce it as an X-A camera with an EVF instead and given us an upgraded X-E2s with the new sensor, focus, joystick, IBIS and articulated screen - then we could all have been happy.  In essence, it's too small and too gimmicky.

To be positive, I welcome the sensor, the improved AF, the joystick and even the top plate re-design but that's where it ends. To sum up my wish-list, I'd have liked IBIS, an articulated screen and similar controls to the X-E2s.

Edited by renes

After a few weeks of contemplation, I have decided to replace my X-T20 with the new X-E3 as my travel system camera. While I miss the tilting screen of the T20, I prefer the speed and convenience of the E3's focus stick. All things considered, I'm faster with it, and I'm used to working with it from my X-Pro2, X-T2, X100F and GFX 50S. Unlike the tilt screen, the stick it something I use with pretty much every shot, so I benefit from it all the time. 

I also like the superior firmware of the E3, because it includes all those improvements from the two recent X-T2 firmware updates, such as an AF ALL mode, a super-small AF frame, putting ISO on a command dial, up to 15 minutes of T exposure time, separate Shutter-AE/AF settings for AF-S and AF-C, etc. etc.

Finally, there are the color histogram with live overexposure warning blinkies that I use all the time in my GFX, and the much faster/better AF tracking algo (which will only come to the T2 in November and who knows when to the T20). Price is identical with the X-T20, so the E3 it is. 

Edited by flysurfer

• 4 weeks later...

Finally have the X-E3 on order.

Lots of great systems on the market, I almost bought the Sigma Quattro H instead (Amazing details for 1/3 the cost of a 5Ds), but the X-E3 is legitimately one of the best cameras on the market, bar none, especially for the cost.

Ironically it might be a while before I get a Fuji Lens. The Samyang 12mm f2 and Mitakon 35f0.95 will probably fill 99% of my needs for a while, and of course I can adapt my existing Canon mount lenses.

Finally have the X-E3 on order.

Lots of great systems on the market, I almost bought the Sigma Quattro H instead (Amazing details for 1/3 the cost of a 5Ds), but the X-E3 is legitimately one of the best cameras on the market, bar none, especially for the cost.

Ironically it might be a while before I get a Fuji Lens. The Samyang 12mm f2 and Mitakon 35f0.95 will probably fill 99% of my needs for a while, and of course I can adapt my existing Canon mount lenses.

Good to hear that you're getting one, I imagine you'll take some great pictures with it. I've somewhat tempered my views with the benefit of time. I was bitterly disappointed with the X-E3 initially because it had not lived up to my expectations, however that does not make it a bad camera. I got an X-Pro2 instead and am enjoying using that for now. I'd still like to see an X-E camera with IBIS and a tilt-able screen, in style perhaps a kind of smaller X-Pro2 without the optical finder but that is either a pipe dream or a future Fuji - who knows?

• 10 months later...