Fuji X-E3 rumors

Patrick FR

Christophe your Flickr account looks good. There's a decent amount of traffic through that page, well done.

I could get closer to a duck but it would take an entire afternoon sitting in a blind. Some people do that, I'm really just not that interested in ducks. The owls are about 40 feet up a tree, by early June it was almost impossible to find an angle to see them through the bush.

I bought a Peterson Guide to Birds of Westen North America and it's my aim to check off every one of them as time goes on time.

For the most part this is a game to play with expensive toys, indeed quite frivolous but I doubt it's much different for the majority of users here (barring the few professionals brave enough to tread among the commoners). The skills do come in handy for family photos though, and Macro capabilities are important for selling used stuff online. High magnification Macro is another genre of photography that I find deeply satisfying.

My photography fulfills a sense of curiosity more than anything, you're never going to see an Owlet that close in person. Macro pictures are, again, images that are impossible to see without the right equipment (it's been a while since I've had the Macro tent set up). If I'm being "almost" entirely categorical about the process that doesn't bother me, the pictures still have an inherent value in the difficulty of capturing them.

Primarily, Fuji cameras are just something significantly different from any camera I've had before. If I'm having fun I'll enjoy the pictures.

I see the advantage of Fuji as being time saved actively composing with dials while you're shooting and not spending an hour fine tuning after the fact. Having a few less custom buttons does not interfere with that core premise, just "three" wheels is really all you need and the X-E3 has five wheels when you add an aperture ring on the lens.

The X-E3 probably just handles faster than the X-E2 by using dedicated controls for the most commonly used features instead of assigning those to custom buttons. The X100F is almost identical to the X-E3 but they removed the D-Pad, I have to assume feedback from the X100F indicated there were too many redundant controls.

This is now a very rational, reasonable and valid answer.

Especially the part you say "if I'm having fun I'll enjoy the picture". If having a new camera makes you have fun and go out more, by all means get it, have your fun, make pictures (but ask yourself if it won't be the same in 6 months : bored, need new gear to make it fun again, bored, need etc. Having interest in pictures content eliminates this problem, better buy a plane ticket than a new body tbh)

I'm not really bragging about my pictures, I find them decent so to say. To get there I used almost only the 35mm f1.4 and jpeg (like learning to draw without an eraser to force yourself to get it right) no cropping etc. for maybe 2 years.

I did not upgrade my x-e1 until now (bought in December 2014) because, got to remain humble, it was not a limiting factor. Now I feel the time has come to get a more responsive camera (that SD write speed... awful) but the x-e2 is not that big of an improvement. I wanted the x-e3 to be the same camera, faster, hence my disappointment.

It won't be for everyone, but Fuji does not have to suit my personal wishes, albeit I'd argue it should not be called a X-E because it is not an X-pro2 without the weight and OVF like the 1&2 were, designed for the enthusiast who wants mechanical controls.

I feel they are killing the x-e line, but don't wish it to fail nonetheless. I'm sure people who want a great camera to take family pictures etc. will appreciate a focus on screen, why not? We'll see if the best Fuji photographers like Kevin Mullins will use it and what they have to say about it. Meanwhile, I'll consider the X-pro2 again.

Edited by citral

Woodworth probably has the best criticism in that there is no IBIS and no tilt screen.

If you look at all the best features of high end cameras over the last decade the X-E3 has most of them now, and looks to be well equipped for the future. In 20 years people are probably going to look at the X-E3 and think it's "mostly up to date", except maybe for the lack of a flippy screen and IBIS, "if" IBIS actually holds in the long run.

In my case the flippy screen can be offset with a remote shooting utility for Macro shots from the tripod. (Fuji is specifically appealing for Macro because the X-Trans sensor deals with moire better than anything else on the market, second only to the Sigma Foveon sensors, and Macro can feature Moire more heavily than almost any other form of photography).

IBIS has me worried. All I can think of when I see a camera with a moving sensor is a $500 repair bill every 5 years or so. As well it disconnects the sensor from any potentially large heat-sink, I have no idea how Sony is cooling the sensor in the A9.

I've seen what shooting in live view does to my Macro images with long exposures (way more hot pixels), so I'm very conscious of sensor heat. Even going mirrorless is probably a compromise but I'm assuming the copper wire sensors from Sony deal with heat better than older tech. Hopefully there's still a way to turn off any live feed and let the sensor cool off before snapping an image.

re: "IBIS has me worried. All I can think of when I see a camera with a moving sensor is a $500 repair bill every 5 years or so." A fair point in many respects, but will you still be using the same camera in 5 years time? There was a time when you bought a camera and had it for years, I have a Contax 139 and an Olympus OM2 from the 1970's that both still work... however today a five year old camera is getting on a bit! ;) I have been using IBIS in other cameras for a while and so far it has been trouble free.

re: "IBIS has me worried. All I can think of when I see a camera with a moving sensor is a $500 repair bill every 5 years or so." A fair point in many respects, but will you still be using the same camera in 5 years time?

Yes, definitely. I used my Canon 5D and 20D cameras until 2014 (they were introduced in 2004, I believe) and I fully intend to use my X-Trans I and II cameras for the next few years. Both my X-Pro1 and X-E1 cameras are still in regular use by me.

That's good to hear. I still have and use an X-E1 as well. Increasingly the temptation is to get the newest or latest thing, whereas the original is often still pretty good. I think IBIS won't lead to too many expensive camera bills and it can always be switched off when (or if) not required.

It will be interesting to see whether the X-E3 is going to be anything like the rumoured camera (I hope it's better).

re: "IBIS has me worried. All I can think of when I see a camera with a moving sensor is a $500 repair bill every 5 years or so." A fair point in many respects, but will you still be using the same camera in 5 years time? There was a time when you bought a camera and had it for years, I have a Contax 139 and an Olympus OM2 from the 1970's that both still work... however today a five year old camera is getting on a bit! ;) I have been using IBIS in other cameras for a while and so far it has been trouble free.

Actually as of this September I will have been using my Canon 1100D (T3) for 5 years.

I had a 5D2 for almost a year but traded it away because it's too big, the small crop bodies are ideal when you're hiking.

If the X-E3 is released configured as rumored it is not going to be the X-E2 update I had imagined. The simplest package I would have gladly paid for would have an X-Trans III sensor and CPU, weather sealing, the joy-stick, and a combo-shutter/ISO dial. The touch screen is not on my wish list.

I can only hope that what is revealed on Thursday is different from the bad joke in this rumored X-E3. If the worst comes about, I will be happy to stay with my X-E2, and X-T2, and consider adding an X-Pro2 (or its successor) as my 24MB RF.

The simplest package I would have gladly paid for would have an X-Trans III sensor and CPU, weather sealing, the joy-stick, and a combo-shutter/ISO dial. The touch screen is not on my wish list.

Same here; a mini X-Pro2 (minus the OVF) would be great. I could even accept the omission of weather sealing to keep the costs (and maybe size) down.

I personally don't need a tilting screen, but I would not be opposed to it (though it makes the camera bulkier). I think my X100T photo in one of the previous posts provides a strong argument against a touch screen. Which is also not needed with a proper joystick and D-pad.

Edited by johant

Unfortunately what I see with this rumored X-E3, is an X-A3 with an EVF. It is not what I desire, or need. A mini-X-Pro2 without OVF is what it should be. Like you I would not be opposed to a tilt screen, I find the one on my X-T2 useful. A touch screen for the single image shooter removes flexibility, and will prove problematic.

I will wait for the official announcement, but I am sadly resigned to buying an X-Pro2 as my X-E2 update.

Edited by Leonard_O

Unfortunately what I see with this rumored X-E3, is an X-A3 with an EVF. It is not what I desire, or need. A mini-X-Pro2 without OVF is what it should be. Like you I would not be opposed to a tilt screen, I find the one on my X-T2 useful. A touch screen for the single image shooter removes flexibility, and will prove problematic.

I will wait for the official announcement, but I am sadly resigned to buying an X-Pro2 as my X-E2 update.

Somehow this forum has become a congregation of people who hate new technology. Again, comparisons with the X-A3 are just insane.

If you can turn it off, or if you can make sure it only enables while navigating the menu (which is the primary benefit), then the possibility of it having any negative impact on your shooting is zero.

The only possibility is that it would be a positive thing.

Sure, they "could" get it wrong, but Fuji is also best known for improving things through firmware. If they don't do the touchscreen right, they'll fix it.

I can only hope that what is revealed on Thursday is different from the bad joke in this rumored X-E3...

Fuji changed target group with this funny X-E3 that does not appreciate full camera control, fast and direct access to features but loves touched LCD for navigation and looking at it more then on what happens on the scene. X-E3 killed X-E line for me... look at this tiny EVF with x0.62 magn. with 'point-and-shot' style eyepiece in 2018 APS-C world! It's a joke and kiss-off many X-E users who asked for larger EVF.

Edited by renes

You don't get it, smart people don't buy something with x feature that adds cost, to leave it off. You don't buy a bike with a rockshox gold and leave it in locked position do you?

People are saying the existance of this function will ruin the shooting experience, this is a totally neutral feature if you don't like it, and a revolutionary feature for 99% of the rest of the potential market.

This will transform the user experience for any modern user. The touchscreen is necessary.

More like having esp, abs and full autopilot mode in a rally car. No point.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1067669_why-the-world-rally-championship-has-gone-low-tech

Speaking with The Inquirer, Ford technical director Christian Loriaux explains: "Having all that tech was fabulous but the cost was high and it was making it too easy for drivers".

Given that in relation to the X-E3 we're talking about one of the most common consumer technologies on Earth right now, it's safe to say that cost isn't an issue.

Again, the question is why anyone would want to specifically remove features from a consumer product that make life easier for everyone.

Leica has that market cornered with the M-D:  http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/leica-m-d-typ-262/leica-m-d-typ-262A.HTM

Anyone who wants it, there it is, your perfect camera, it even has a full frame sensor.

Everyone else wants a touchscreen on their camera.

I guarantee you will see absolutely and utterly zero negative press around the touchscreen functionality. Industry Journalists will be praising the X-E3 in a synchronous angelic choir, they will be throwing awards at the X-E3 for being the most user friendly Fuji ever made.

Maybe some people will miss the 3 absent Fn buttons, but I'm betting anyone new to Fuji will be totally satisfied, and most of the people who thought they would miss the buttons will find it a non-issue (due to expanded control elsewhere).

What are you talking about nobody talked about removing the screen it's useful for review and in a few circumstances for shooting.

I don't understand why you're trying so hard to convince 10 people here, if like you say "everybody wants it".

I don't understand why journalists praying it would change anything? I have yet to see one who can photograph something else than a pigeon or a sunset and tells you that the camera is bad because it has only hd for video no 4k. On a photo camera. To record once a year a nephew running in the garden, compress it into avi to show it to aunt Gisele on a hd tv tomorrow. Rrrright.

You seem to imply we're wrong because a superior number of people will like it, this is such a childish argument I don't even...

Edited by citral

What are you talking about nobody talked about removing the screen it's useful for review and in a few circumstances for shooting.

I don't understand why you're trying so hard to convince 10 people here, if like you say "everybody wants it".

I don't understand why journalists praying it would change anything? I have yet to see one who can photograph something else than a pigeon or a sunset and tells you that the camera is bad because it has only hd for video no 4k. On a photo camera. To record once a year a nephew running in the garden, compress it into avi to show it to aunt Gisele on a hd tv tomorrow. Rrrright.

You seem to imply we're wrong because a superior number of people will like it, this is such a childish argument I don't even...

The accusation being made is that "having a touchscreen" makes the camera worse. That accusation is utter nonsense.

You just brought up video for the fist time in this entire discussion when the only problem here is you seem to hate touchscreens for no good reason. You have still failed to apply logic to any response.

You're wrong because you have yet to make any logical statement about why the touchscreen is bad.

The only line of reasoning that would lead anyone to believe that Fuji made a negative change is the lack of 3 Fn buttons, I've said this multiple times now, but you just keep trying to say that the touchscreen itself is bad and you never apply logic or reason to any of your statements. Everything you've said on the subject is utter nonsense.

It's obvious that your entire motivation for not liking the touchscreen is that Fuji changed the button layout in ways you didn't expect, and now you're mad at Fuji for not meeting your expectations.

Edited by FX Admin
Ad hominem remarks removed

What I understand from the first hands-on reports is that the D-pad functions are now controlled by the mini joystick. I think that is not great. I could operate the X-E1/X-E2 buttons without even looking at the screen or EVF. It remains to be seen how well that works on the X-E3.

I can see how it makes the camera more compact, and how it saves on manufacturing costs. But for me it is not a logical replacement for the previous X-E models. It's more a new class; a compact travel camera.

I just hope they will not go the same path with the X-Pro models!