Fuji X-E3 rumors

Patrick FR

Given that all three of the people in the world who don't like touch screens have now voiced their hatred of this camera here, I can say with absolute certaintly that any potential customer looking to buy an X-E3 is going to expect it to have a touchscreen.

I hope you see the weakness of your reasoning yourself? Attacking the posters instead of their arguments?

Edit: congratulations, you are the very first person on this forum who made it to my ignore list.

Edited by johant

I hope you see the weakness of your reasoning yourself? Attacking the posters instead of their arguments?

Edit: congratulations, you are the very first person on this forum who made it to my ignore list.

So far the only "arguments" that anyone can come up with are straw-man arguments and endless spouting of opinion.

Who says? I suspect that a large part of Fujifilm's target group thinks otherwise. Besides, the "screen only" design makes the camera bland and ugly.

First, saying this is a "Screen Only" design is an outright lie. You're twisting reality to fit your own story. Aside from that you only offer speculation and opinion.

It's like if biker would tell to cyclist that the fundamental disconnect here is that he need to realize an engine is now an absolute requirement for virtually any vehicle that has some wheels.

We're talking about an interface that nearly every human being in the Western World depends on every day, this is already more prevalent in daily life than the motor-vehicle ever was.

Oh right, that's why when tablets became widespread it would be the end of the desktop as we know it. Not only it is not, manufacturers have backpedaled and added a keyboard to their devices (like the microsoft surface) when people started to realize you cannot work efficiently that way (writing long posts and emails on touchscreen, how convenient).

A touchscreen has its use when portability is a must and time/working "blind" is not an issue. It is not a "must-have" on a camera. You're obviously more a gearhead than a photographer, I understand there is a market for that and Fuji is maybe right to go in that direction, but maybe not.

Like the others, the foundation of your argument is that the camera does not have any controls except the touchscreen, you're all blatantly ignoring what the camera is and pretending as though it's nothing but an oversized smartphone. The points being made are asinine.

Fuji has never shipped a camera with no manual controls and they actually haven't reduced the number of manual controls on this camera, with the fourth wheel it actually has more physical inputs than the X-E2.

It would be reasonable to say this is a "different" camera than the X-E2, but so far all the complaints have amounted to nothing more than "people don't like change."

For a company making consumer goods, you can't give customers what they want, you have to give them what they didn't know they wanted.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidsturt/2014/01/03/delight-your-customers-by-giving-them-what-they-didnt-ask-for/

I'm confused now and don't understand how Ansel Adams, Robert Capa, Cartier Bresson, Martin Parr have been able to make photographs without a touchscreen.

It's a mystery.

Again, the X-E3 has more physical controls, and Ansel Adams would have been just as frustrated with the lack of a touchscreen given how clumsy navigating menus with a d-pad is in comparison.

Analog cameras don't have a computer screen.

You don't push an iPhone against your face ...

A touch screen only makes sense for me on a camera you use without a viewfinder.

This is actually one of the most interesting comments about using a touchscreen, I suspect that Citral will be ecstatic about the idea of a touchscreen on a rangefinder body now that we know you can select your AF points with your nose! Edited by 9.V.III

Oh! Western World... the only place where human beings are living... I see your point.

I still include Japan as a "Western Nation" because of the close ties with the U.S.

Regardless, "Developed Countries" "First World Nations" "The Place Where All The Money Is"

With China's budding middle-class we're going to need a better definition soon, if not already, so there is that, (and I think I read Korea buys a lot of Fuji?) but even if Instax sells well across most of Asia there is still some extent of a global economic divide.

There's no denying that virtually anyone on Earth with internet access probably has a touchscreen device.

No digital camera should ever be made without a touchscreen ever again, there's no reason not to. We've been at this for three pages and No-one has come up with a real argument against having a touchscreen yet, only irrelevant distractions and gushing fountains of opinion.

Edited by 9.V.III

Оn rare occasions touchscreen might be useful... yet I wouldn't base my decision of bying a camera on the fact it's got the touchscreen. That's a low priority for me. As to 9.V.III comments, I would guess he is very young and... how should I put it politely... sounds somewhat excessively opinionated. But that's OK. It will pass in time. Peace.

Оn rare occasions touchscreen might be useful... yet I wouldn't base my decision of bying a camera on the fact it's got the touchscreen. That's a low priority for me. As to 9.V.III comments, I would guess he is very young and... how should I put it politely... sounds somewhat excessively opinionated. But that's OK. It will pass in time. Peace.

As a complete package the X-E3 is probably going to be the most solid product Fuji has produced to date, a few years ago people would be doing backflips to see a Joystick on a body like this, and an extra dial to boot, but instead we have half a dozen people continually saying all that means nothing to them, and that the touchscreen functionality that has revolutionized the way we interact with on screen menus means nothing to them, and that "just having" a touchscreen ruins the entire thing for them.

It's really ludicrous.

If you count every button on the X-E3 compared to the X-E2 they have exactly the same amount of physical buttons. Five of those "appear" to be dedicated to AF selection now, but we have no idea how many custom function buttons the X-E3 actually has, and it's not like "every" button on the X-E2 could be used for custom functions anyway.

According to the manual The X-E2 had 7 custom function buttons (Page 43: http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/manuals/pdf/index/x/fujifilm_xe2_manual_en.pdf),

http://fujifilm-dsc.com/en/manual/x100f/button_fn/use_fn-button/index.html

The X100f has the same number of custom buttons as the X-E2, but the X-E3 has less buttons than the X100f. Going by the pattern of buttons being used as Fn buttons across those bodies I'm betting the X-E3 has 4 Fn buttons.

That said, it still has an extra wheel on the front and the joystick on the back, even if those can't fulfill the exactly the same function as an Fn button surely it's worth just as much (if not more) convenience for quickly accessing controls.

If Fuji has user statistics that say the Joystick fills even just one of the functions that the majority of users allocated to an Fn button then you just don't need as many Fn buttons on the new camera. If between the new dial and joystick you've effectively got even just two Fn buttons worth of controls back then this camera is only effectively missing 1 button, and the controls it does have are all massively superior to what you had on the X-E2.

Edited by 9.V.III

Woodworth probably has the best criticism in that there is no IBIS and no tilt screen.

If you look at all the best features of high end cameras over the last decade the X-E3 has most of them now, and looks to be well equipped for the future. In 20 years people are probably going to look at the X-E3 and think it's "mostly up to date", except maybe for the lack of a flippy screen and IBIS, "if" IBIS actually holds in the long run.

In my case the flippy screen can be offset with a remote shooting utility for Macro shots from the tripod. (Fuji is specifically appealing for Macro because the X-Trans sensor deals with moire better than anything else on the market, second only to the Sigma Foveon sensors, and Macro can feature Moire more heavily than almost any other form of photography).

IBIS has me worried. All I can think of when I see a camera with a moving sensor is a $500 repair bill every 5 years or so. As well it disconnects the sensor from any potentially large heat-sink, I have no idea how Sony is cooling the sensor in the A9.

I've seen what shooting in live view does to my Macro images with long exposures (way more hot pixels), so I'm very conscious of sensor heat. Even going mirrorless is probably a compromise but I'm assuming the copper wire sensors from Sony deal with heat better than older tech. Hopefully there's still a way to turn off any live feed and let the sensor cool off before snapping an image.

Edited by 9.V.III

I'm still debating with myself if 9.V.III is a troll (a bad one but whatever) or not. It's entertaining tho. Speaking endlessly about technology and "must have" shiny features, counting buttons, wondering about processor cooling, completely ignoring photography, art, process, FEELING. Let me have a rough guess : you never actually took a decent picture in your whole life. But it's all technology's fault, it was not advanced enough for you, Western World Mastermind. Here, have a pat. That x-e3 will finally allow you to fullfil your incredible potential. Or not.

Edited by citral

I'm still debating with myself if 9.V.III is a troll (a bad one but whatever) or not. It's entertaining tho. Speaking endlessly about technology and "must have" shiny features, counting buttons, wondering about processor cooling, completely ignoring photography, art, process, FEELING. Let me have a rough guess : you never actually took a decent picture in your whole life. But it's all technology's fault, it was not advanced enough for you, Western World Mastermind. Here, have a pat. That x-e3 will finally allow you to fullfil your incredible potential. Or not.

The only way I could be more ready for this is if I had a picture of a Crow.

I don't have any crow readily available, maybe Citral could just eat some pigeon instead.

kHHT4sE.jpg

I would say "A Duck" but that wouldn't be as much fun.

M5goqoD.jpg

Anyway, "Who" was doubting my photographic prowess?

wtpYdpC.jpg

Mr. Muskrat is rushing to my aide.

gqusYlK.jpg

Finally, it's time to end silly talk and call on down the thunder.

yMySi2Y.jpg

I really wish I had a crow picture right now.

Here are some tips :

- using teles and/or cropping like you do make pictures flat. The viewer has an immediate sense of being far away from the scene and it's liveless. You need to use at most a 50mm on crop, even better 35 to immerge the viewer. Get closer!

- put context. Your pictures have no context, we don't know if they were taken in a parc, zoo, wilderness, I'll pass.

- try to infuse some personality/emotion. What do you want to say with your pictures ? I only see a pigeon flying like every other pigeon, a duck doing nothing particular etc. No emotion, feeling, flat.

Now I'm certainly not a master but I try hard to put those elements in pictures to make them work, here are 2 examples : http://www.fuji-x-forum.com/topic/150-the-animal-far-side-gallery-open-thread/?do=findComment&comment=3688

I'm sorry but this looks like the millions of other animal pictures in existence, nothing particular, technically correct but nothing exciting about them.

This is not a photo critique thread.

Once again as soon as you're proven wrong you just cange the subject. Stop it. It's time for you to admit your mistakes.

You've been wrong about everything up to this point, especially calling someone a troll just for being the only person with a positive opinion of the X-E3, when you're the one who's behavior has tended in that direction. You are a hypocrite and it's time to admit it.

Your "preference" against the inclusion of a touchscreen has come out as irrational at best and antagonsitic at worst.

It's time to accept that some changes are good even if you don't like them.

Repeat after me:

"The X-E3 is going to be the best camera Fuji has ever produced"

"The lack of a D-Pad Improves the X-E3 by removing entirely redundant clutter"

"The fully touchscreen enabled interface is one of the most important features Fuji will ever implement on a camera"

I feel embarrassed for you. You haven't even tried it. This is just ridiculous, you need to find reasons to spend money on an "amateur at best" camera alright, but it's your wife if you have one that you need to convince, not the skepticals like me who don't feel right changing settings on the fly with their nose while seing a scene unfold through the viewfinder.

Edited by citral

Are you Christophe Branchereau? https://www.flickr.com/photos/132271152@N08/
Are you Martin Parr?  https://readthinkart.wordpress.com/2015/11/04/tate-shots-martin-parr/

Have you ever taken a photograph? Do you own a camera?

Once again Citral you have demonstrated nothing but hypocrisy by calling someone out, and further critiquing their work when you have nothing to show for yourself.

This is the definition of an Internet Troll. All talk, never admitting mistakes, never finding a middle ground, just perpetually attacking and distracting from any truth that is brought to light.

Edited by 9.V.III

Repeat after me:
"The X-E3 is going to be the best camera Fuji has ever produced"
"The lack of a D-Pad Improves the X-E3 by removing entirely redundant clutter"
"The fully touchscreen enabled interface is one of the most important features Fuji will ever implement on a camera"

This is the truth of the situation. People need to get over their own prejudices and look at something for what it is and not how it compares to your imaginary ideals.

Edited by 9.V.III

I am Christophe Branchereau yes. I think a good picture comes from the photographer, the scene, the light, the lens and last by a body that does not get in the way. Or in the least possible way. You seem to think it will suddenly make you a better photograph, the disappointment is going to be hard to swallow, but you're not alone it's a general thread.

I will not repeat your bloody nonsense. Have fun, you will perhaps realise one day that technology is not everything.

Edited by citral

Guest mikEm13

Here are some tips :

- using teles and/or cropping like you do make pictures flat. The viewer has an immediate sense of being far away from the scene and it's liveless. You need to use at most a 50mm on crop, even better 35 to immerge the viewer. Get closer!

- put context. Your pictures have no context, we don't know if they were taken in a parc, zoo, wilderness, I'll pass.

- try to infuse some personality/emotion. What do you want to say with your pictures ? I only see a pigeon flying like every other pigeon, a duck doing nothing particular etc. No emotion, feeling, flat.

Now I'm certainly not a master but I try hard to put those elements in pictures to make them work, here are 2 examples : http://www.fuji-x-forum.com/topic/150-the-animal-far-side-gallery-open-thread/?do=findComment&comment=3688

Citral, 

You have some good tips there hope you don't mind if I use some.