Medium Format Rumors

Patrick FR

Aswald said "I guess, this issue exists with other formats too. Perhaps it is more significant as previously most medium format cameras rely on leaf shutters. Would HSS be a possible solution to this issue? Granted HSS itself has issues."

Yes, one of the significant differences between medium format and 35 mm based systems is almost total reliance on focal plane shutters in the 35 mm world. There are a few fixed lens cameras that use leaf shutters (Leica Q and Fuji x-100 series as an aps-c example), but all system cameras are focal plane shutter cameras. For them, HSS is the only option.

But, HSS is, at best, a partial solution. According to Profoto, their B1 strobe, which supports HSS, loses one stop of flash power for every stop above the flash sync you go. So, if you use the B1's HSS function with the Fuji, to get to 1/1000 sec from Fuji's 1/125 sync speed, you lose three stops of power. That just turned a 500 w/s strobe into a speedlight. By contrast, the Hasselblad X1D, can sync at 1/2000 sec with no loss of power. Yes, leaf shutter lenses are more expensive, but, lighting gear, especially lighting gear that is light and portable, is very expensive. So, for those photographers who use lighting gear on location, the cost of the leaf shutters are well worth the price. It's no more expensive for them, and it cuts down on the bulk that they have to carry on location.

This is an excellent counterpoint. Thank you.

I was considering the Profoto B1 for my location shoot. I hadn't delved into HSS as I didn't need it before. I have been relying on ND filters which has it's own issues too. Color casts, hue...etc. So, your info is good for me to know. 

Benefit of a focal plane shutter is that you can always go back to a leaf shutter, the inverse it not possible.

I still use an old Hasselblad 503cw, and they also went with a focal plane shutter for their next generation of cams back in the day, while keeping compatibility with the existing lenses.

If Fujifilm releases one wide and one telephoto lens with leaf shutter, this whole hissyfit will be over.

I am old enough to remember speed graphics ( an other cameras too) which had both 

10637140386_daa9bba929_b.jpg

http://www.graflex.org/speed-graphic/features.html

“....The name "Speed" in Speed Graphic comes from the 1/1000s shutter speed offered by its focal-plane shutter. The Graflex focal-plane shutter is the essence of simplicity -- a single long curtain of rubberized fabric with a number of slits.

The Anniversary and Pre-Anniversary models are have a somewhat confusing control system, but in the Pacemaker series, there is only a high/low switch, and the speeds read out directly in a window.

The high/low speed control on the Pacemakers engage a very simple and reliable governor. There are four slits in the curtain, one for 1/1000 & 1/500 sec, another for 1/250 & 1/125, another for 1/60 & 1/30 sec and a final one for TIME. The curtain is tensioned by what is essentially a window blind type spring.... and the tension is easy to adjust without much disassembly. They can be easily adjusted to within 1/4 stop.

The Crown GraphicCentury GraphicSuper Graphic, and Super Speed Graphic models all lack the focal plane shutter (though the Super Speed Graphic does have a 1/1000s between-the-lens shutter.) In a genuine Speed Graphic the focal plane shutter is the only part that might be trouble, but it is reliable and there are shops dedicated to fixing them. At worst, you can disregard a non-functional rear shutter on a Speed Graphic. It doesn't cost you anything but a slightly thicker case and a little weight.

The Speed Graphic is slightly heavier and thicker than the similar Crown Graphic. The 2 3/8" minimum film-to-flange distance required by the focal plane shutter on a Speed Graphic precludes the use of 65mm and wider-angle lenses, whereas a Crown Graphic is able to use a 47mm WA lens. Many modern wide-angle lenses in the 47mm-65mm range can cover 4x5", but classic lenses this wide were designed to cover 2-1/4 x 3-1/4, so they should be used with the 2x3" Graphics or with appropriate roll-film backs on 4x5" Graphics.

The focal plane shutters operate as a curtain with different sized openings, and can be set to two speeds with three different openings, producing speeds of 1/30, 1/60, 1/125, 1/250, 1/500, and 1/1000. (As for lenses with internal shutters, most will have speeds up to 1/400 or 1/500, while the Graflex-1000 goes to 1/1000 seconds, there are some some older ones only go as high as 1/200.)

Be careful to keep track of whether the curtain is open or closed, as mis-use of the focal plane shutter will keep film from being exposed (if you're using a lens shutter), and leaving the curtain open (such as for focusing) will fog film.

An advantage of having a focal plane shutter is that you can also use barrel lenses (lenses mounted without shutters). A 15" (380mm) Graflex Optar Telephoto, in a barrel mount is much less expensive (~$90) than the equivalent in a shutter, which seem to go for $250-300. Also, many vintage (1920-30's) soft focus portrait lenses are only available in barrel.

Use of a slow speed focal plane shutter should produce noticeable "lean" when you pan to follow moving objects.

Are the large focal plane shutters accurate? I checked mine out. 1/1000 sec is dead on. Your average modern SLR it is probably no more accurate...."

• 2 years later...

Attached taken with a brand new xt20. is this vignetting the result of the angle of the light you're talking about? How do I eliminate this please? 

Is there an easy way to fix the vignetting in photoshop?

Thanks

Mary

PS is this also because the light at midday in Hawaii is almost perpendicular?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by MaryMurf
thought of add'l comments/questions