Medium Format Rumors

Patrick FR

Most likely it will be out of my price range unless I win the lottery, but I would like to see it happen just the same.  If it strengthens Fuji's market position in general that ought to provide more resources for X-series support and further development.

While this first MF camera will have interchangeable lenses, I think fixed lens model wold have its fans.  A sort of X100 on steroids.  In the fashion of the Fuji MF rangefinders it could be called a G340.

Much of the popularity of this camera to come will depend upon whether (or not) they will be able to make their camera more affordable than other more established cameras.

Looks, has been shown with the X cameras, coupled to good quality of the sensors and excellent lenses, have been able to attract a customer base of “ mature” users and “ hipsters” alike into the X system.

But medium format is a different ballpark in terms of possible customers which will be able to shed the kind of money that this systems require. Also, the enduser of a Medium Format system tends to have different requirements especially in as much as making high quality prints.

There is no doubt that the buck is , for now, in the hands of Hasselblad. With an entry price of around €10.000 this is still way above the budget which most X users could possibly shed, especially after the rush into buying the X-T2 which has been positively reflected by the fact that, novelty factor taken into account, it has practically monopolized the activities of this forum. Beside the committed pro, only few amateurs with some serious problems on how to dispose of their large incomes will be able to access this market.

But like for anything else, if it were only used by people who actually know what to do with it or need to take full advantage of its characteristics, then it would sell to very few indeed.

Fuji knows how to entice the general public ( whether capable or not of using the potential of their cameras, some less than expert or dedicated photographers clearly bought into the top end of the X system, which is capable to perform way above the limited abilities and even more limited needs of some of them, even though both, ability and needs, would have been more than appropriately matched by any compact camera out there)  into buying a professional camera even if you are a very modest amateur in terms of experience and needs.

Maybe they will come up with something that will be enticing the public of “ capable photographers” just as much as the wannabes and make this new camera system a commercial succes this time too.

Edited by milandro

NOOOOOOOOO.......... :o  :o  :o:(  :(  :lol:  

Exactly what I felt when Canon released their M5.

This did this...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

When they could've had this....

...and this shows how much the looks are important ( I am not dissing the X photographers just stating a fact) to the Fujifilm buyers.

gfyx.png

This picture doesn’t help winning my taste.

I agree the shape of the GFX ( we’ll take a better look later on) is less than amazing and it won’t appeal the people who bought into the X system, as much for its qualities as for the undoubted charms of the X retro looks ( and functions I love dials and buttons, which makes the Hasselblad a little less appealing than it could have been).

Edited by milandro

It looks as if it's going to be a dslr looking medium format. I'm sure that at the end of the day the image produced at hopefully a lower cost will be great. I was just hoping for a little more creativity in their design with both form and function addressed. I guess both the Pro and XT range is also something borrowed from their vintage lines so I shan't expect a design powerhouse within Fujifilm to churn out a body as breathtakingly beautiful as the pictures taken with it.

Let's see how it really looks like. But from what I see.... :unsure:

According to the following post,  http://www.thephoblographer.com/2016/09/19/the-fujifilm/#.V-APivArK70,  the price including the 63MM "standard" lens wil be $10,000.  That is no doubt a bit lass than Hasselblad but way beyond my wallet!  At this point, if one really needs/wants MF but can't scrape up that kind of cash the only option is to get a good film scanner or go with Pentax.

According to the following post, http://www.thephoblographer.com/2016/09/19/the-fujifilm/#.V-APivArK70, the price including the 63MM "standard" lens wil be $10,000. That is no doubt a bit lass than Hasselblad but way beyond my wallet! At this point, if one really needs/wants MF but can't scrape up that kind of cash the only option is to get a good film scanner or go with Pentax.

Most pro's will rent at that price point for those few times they actually need that kind of firepower. Makes little sense to buy one, unless you consistently need it and get paid for it.

According to the following post, http://www.thephoblographer.com/2016/09/19/the-fujifilm/#.V-APivArK70, the price including the 63MM "standard" lens wil be $10,000. That is no doubt a bit lass than Hasselblad but way beyond my wallet! At this point, if one really needs/wants MF but can't scrape up that kind of cash the only option is to get a good film scanner or go with Pentax.

Most pro's will rent at that price point for those few times they actually need that kind of firepower. Makes little sense to buy one, unless you consistently need it and get paid for it.

It is not exactly ugly, in fact in may ways it shows similarities to the X-T(1 & 2) but it fails to deliver the “ retro look “ at least that retro look which was one of the reasons of success of the X line,

I agree, other than the Hasselblad, that buttons and dials are there to please those, like me, who like them, but I would have preferred a different look.

Anyway this is purely academic (to me) because I am not going to pay that kind of money  ( we shall see how much it will really be when it arrives on the European market, I think that the difference with Hasselblad will be few hundreds of euros at most) for what I do with a camera these days.

I didn’t even upgrade to the X-T2 because I don’t see any reasons to.

However should I come into a lot of money because of the sudden death of a relative whose existence I am not aware of ( Not the Nigerian Email variety though ), if I were to consider buying a format larger than the APS-C it would probably not be this camera.

It's starting to grow on me especially after reading more about it's functionality. The design sort of make sense but I'm also in the design industry so my outlook on industrial design may be biased. It's a bit straight forward for me. I'm just VERY glad it's small.

Can anyone help me with two things?

1. Focal Plane shutter (as opposed to Leaf shutter) on Medium format bodies.

2. 1/125th sec Flash sync speed.

Why are these two considered a negative attribute of a medium format system.

I've only used the Pentax 645 briefly and didn't come away convinced that I needed a medium format camera. Thanks in advance.