Traveling lite

Caslon Bodoni

You certainly can copy your images from the card to the iPad, Apple sells USB-C to SD readers as well as Lightning to SD readers, it may be possible to use a USB-C TO USB-C cable to connect the camera directly to the iPad and copy the images, but I have not tried that approach. Third party vendors also sell readers for that purpose.

Using the iPad as a backup may not work as well as you want, one SD card can hold more images than most iPads have free storage space available. Even the largest capacity iPad would be hard pressed to backup four to six weeks worth of work unless you are only going to shoot a few small jpegs a day. It is a lot cheaper to get a handful of SD cards and use them as backups, copying to them the images you review and want to keep. Or get a higher capacity external USB drive and use it to store the images from the iPad. In case of disaster, try both routes.

https://support.apple.com/en-lamr/guide/ipad/ipad75b7b23f/ipados

the pixii does that :)

but in all seriousness, the smallest ipad can easily transfer your images from the card to any drive. i don't have a laptop anymore and just use my ipad pro for everything. you'd need a card reader and if you don't have one with usb-c already i recommend you get one of the hubs with integrated readers so you can directly move files from the card to your drive. just make sure it's from a reputable brand as i got one once and was unusable because it was too slow

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using my iPad Pro instead of my MacBook Air for travel.  Even uploading the JPEG's from the 100s and the 50r It's super fast!

I LOVE not having to schlep a laptop, and charger.  

I edited this note to say that I use two SamSung T5 SSD's to store my JPEG's and RAW's.  I the upload "most' of the JPEG's to my iPad which has 1TB of internal storage.  Once Im done reviewing the images on the iPad, I usually delete many of the JPEG"S and am ready for the next days shooting.  I also have synching back to LR turned off as the medium format files quickly clog up the transfer so I don't bother.

Edited by jlmphotos