So, what about an X-T2?

Woodworth

I've got to say that whilst I like the new sensor in the X-Pro2, that's about all I really like about it. Now, I may change my mind but I think I'd prefer an X-T2.

What features do you think the X-T2 should have, apart from the new 24mp sensor?

My personal favourites would be for IBIS (yes, I know I keep banging on about this!), twin SD card slots and a lockable dioptre change knob (I keep catching this when putting my X-T1 in and out of me bag).

I wouldn't mind if it came with the battery grip made into an integral part of the design (similar to Canon and Nikon Pro cameras). I'd be happy to road test it on some of my future jobs if Fuji are listening!

So what features do you people think should be on an X-T2?

IBIS would be nice but not totally necessary.

Same sensor. Dual card slots. The usual, I guess. Give me an X-T2 that shoots like the X-Pro2 but with...an even bigger EVF? I totally love the big screen TV they fit in the X-T1 and it's one of the reasons I might not buy an X-Pro2. 

The X-Pro2 "feels" more mechanical than the X-T1. The shutter button and sound are great. A f'n threaded shutter button would be nice. I never understood why the X-T1 had a regular shutter button. 

IBIS could be very close of an instant purchase for me, but only because I started using old legacy lenses with adapters and I am considering focal reducers.

But in all honesty, it would need to win me over that silly Nikon D500 at the moment. The specs got me drooling but I am still waiting for the release and have some actually reviews of the images and need to have in my hand to test out the ergonomics of it.

The same thing would apply to the X-T2, so depending on how things proceed with the actual reviews of the D500 and its handling along the features of the X-T2, I will not take a decision before the end of summer 2016 if not autumn actually.

I would like the joystick for AF control, the 24MP sensor (mainly for the faster AF), and I'd sort of like to see the new ISO dial from the x-pro 2 so that the main functions would all be controlled with the right hand. The dual card slots would be nice. I don't care about IBIS and would rather it wasn't there. Optical is generally better and Fuji has pretty good OIS is the lenses that need it.

Although IBIS would probably make it close to my perfect camera (including the other features of course), I think there's no way Fuji is implementing this in any camera, any time soon.

What I (logically) expect would be:

1) All the major new features in the X-Pro2: new sensor/processor, dual card slot, joystick, etc

2) Tilt-screen (as in the X-T2, or, better yet, a newer design with more movement freedom)

3) Full weather/cold sealing

4) 4K and generally improved video capabilities

5) New 4.4mp EVF (i.e. the one in the Leica SL) with improved refresh rate. It would be great if they managed to increase the magnification a bit too.

6) Hopefully, they could expand the fps to 10 or slightly more and make the buffer bigger than in the X-Pro2.

7) Some improvements in the general shape of the camera to improve handling vs the X-T1, e.g. better buttons, more anatomically correct grip, etc.

All the obvious improvements really... and it's probably going to cost about the same as the X-Pro2 in my opinion (the latter has the expensive OVF but the X-T2 will include several other costly features as well).

All I want is the new X-Pro2 sensor and other improvements in X-T body plus any further gains that come with it being six months later. Only major external change I wouild like is a grip with the shutter release that goes a bit further forward so I can use a hand strap. I will need an additional strap lug on the bottom right so that I do not need to use a battery grip. The joystick might be useful but I get on fine with the the 4-way buttons and ISO dial on the X-T1.

I am about to sell my professional Canon Kit so that I can buy the 100-400mm, some other bits and two X-T2s when they come out. I am going "All-In" on the Fuji X system: see my reasoning here.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the budget for one new camera this year. I have an X-Pro1 which I enjoy very much.  I need a camera that shoots tethered though and it appears the X-Pro2 is not going to support that. (Am I mistaken?)

I suspect I will wait for the  X-T2 - are there any guesstimates when it will be available? 

[...]

I suspect I will wait for the  X-T2 - are there any guesstimates when it will be available? 

Last time we heard anything about it, it was supposed to have announcement for end of Q2, early Q3 this year. Then again we just got a rumor about the X200 potential release/announcement for the same time frame...

Yep. Fujifilm's senior product planner even confirmed in a recent interview that the X mount is not compatible with IBIS:

http://fujilove.com/our-highest-priority-is-always-image-quality-interview-with-takashi-ueno-and-shusuke-kozaki-from-fujifilm-japan/

Although IBIS would probably make it close to my perfect camera (including the other features of course), I think there's no way Fuji is implementing this in any camera, any time soon.

• 4 weeks later...

0) Not any more expensive than the X-T1 at introduction

1) New 24mp Sensor

2) New Joystick

3) Fully Articulating LCD (try using the current one to shoot low to the ground in portrait mode)

4) Tripod socket in center

5) Better histogram - RGB

6) IBIS (I can dream)

7) Built in radio control for flash

8) Better bracketing options

9) Focus mode switch around AF button in back of camera ALA Panasonic

10) Touch screen (with option to turn it off, of course)

11) Deeper grip

12) GPS

Edited by Neil

0) Not any more expensive than the X-T1 at introduction

1) New 24mp Sensor

2) New Joystick

3) Fully Articulating LCD (try using the current one to shoot low to the ground in portrait mode)

4) Tripod socket in center

5) Better histogram - RGB

6) IBIS (I can dream)

7) Built in radio control for flash

8) Better bracketing options

9) Focus mode switch around AF button in back of camera ALA Panasonic

10) Touch screen (with option to turn it off, of course)

11) Deeper grip

12) GPS

0) Quite improbable as the X-Pro2 demonstrated

1) Very possible since the X-Pro2 already has a 24 MP sensor

2) See above :]

3) Kind of a split here, the tilty one for sure, the flipy part, not so certain

4) Again, see X-Pro2

5) Meh... it's about as decent as it gets so far...

6) Confirmed by Fuji that IBIS will never land on an X-Trans sensor camera (sorry)

7) Not sure as Fuji still doesn't have any proprietary flash system

8) X-Pro2 got +/-2 EV for 3 shots, not huge improvement but still better than what we have

9) Not sure of that ever happening, mostly ergonomics for the button, I rather like the current setup on my X-T1

10) Maybe, but I would rather not have it at all if the implementation are going to be flimsy

11) Well the X-Pro2 is a lot bigger, the X-T2 could be following the same path, worst case, extra grip parts

12) I would rather have a better integration with a cellphone than an internal GPS where the signal is going to be blocked by the magnesium alloy casing, specially if they do decide to toughen up the X-T2.

• 2 weeks later...

For the love of G*d, a battery indicator that gives you an idea about remaining battery charge. Like percentage display or something. Or just divide the old one into 5 bars and make it work.

That part got corrected with the X-Pro2, so it's very safe to assume it will be ported over the X-T2 too.

The new sensor and processor obviously (and thereby even better iso performance, AF performance and no more waxy skin jpegs)

Maybe the joystick?

Maybe click/lock style shutter/iso wheel (so you can keep it unlocked without holding down the pin in the middle)?

Higher refresh rate in EVF?

Hopefully better 4-pad controller. Like x100t.

Hopefully the ability to focus better in low light (EV) like x-pro2

Hopefully not the ISO dial from x-pro2!!!

And I don't care one bit about 4k. 2k is fine.

Otherwise I really do not hope they change to much besides sensor and processor.

In my book x-t1 is near perfection, so a refined update is all I need.

Edited by petergabriel

I think we need to be realistic about the number of features or the camera will end up large, heavy, and even more expensive.  So I will limit myself to deal breakers for me, with no disrespect to anyone.  I do not want IBIS, and I do not want the complex combined ISO dial from the X-Pro2 - those are my deal breakers.