blinking red igloo? Does anybody know what that is?? Just got cam today

coveyb

Image of what i'm talking about is attached.. thanks much!!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Apparently it is indeed the GPS function.

On a side note.

Why would anyone use a geolocation device to register the coordinates of his pictures beats me.

Of course it is possible to think of all sorts of scenarios for a film . A spy might find a way to, via your phone connection, to infect your camera via the wi-fi connection to your phone and by means of this collect images and sound from the camera .

Ok, ok, it is far fetched. Still, baffling feature!

I have revealed in many other occasions to be old enough to remember camera which only took photographs and nothing else. 

I have revealed in many other occasions to be old enough to remember camera which only took photographs and nothing else. 

Oddly enough, there is a move in the opposite direction.

A smart phone that isn't a phone:

Panasonic has announced that the next version of its Lumix DMC-CM1 smartphone will dispense with its phone functionality to concentrate on being a camera.

On a side note.

Why would anyone use a geolocation device to register the coordinates of his pictures beats me.

Ok, ok, it is far fetched. Still, baffling feature!

Hardly baffling. Even in the very earliest days of photography, many photographers went to great lengths to attach time and place information to their plates and negatives. For those who think of photographs as documentary in any way, it's extremely useful - no?

No, sorry, I don’t understand this “ feature", If I wish to say where it is that I shot a picture, I can say,in the title, Washington state, Walla Walla, ...or not.

But give away the precise coordinate seems ,TO ME, incomprehensible and slightly worrying.

Again this is an excellent subject to write science fiction and spy stories upon. I am sure Gerge Orwell is laughing from his tomb and saying: “ I told you so!"

I am also not a fan of the GPS in camera bodies, they are usually crudely done and immense on the battery drain for something that is hardly any better than a gimmick.

Most of the ppl will also complain about it not being perfectly calibrated when using that feature.

Yes I am partisan of cameras that are good at what they are designed for, taking pictures. Anything that helps me enhance that is welcomed. But knowing exactly where that picture was taking is very very secondary to me.

No, sorry, I don’t understand this “ feature", If I wish to say where it is that I shot a picture, I can say,in the title, Washington state, Walla Walla, ...or not.

When I travel, I often come home with photos of landscapes or other features that I can't tie to a specific location from memory. Where was that valley again? What was the name of that church? Remember that shop opposite the road where we took this picture?

I don't need GPS for every picture I take, but in some situation it's a godsend.

well, I’ve lived without that all my life without ever missing it (or failing to remember where I shot each of the many pictures that i’ve shot)  but maybe that is simply due to having excellent memory.

If you need to exactly register where you where, knock yourself out and GPS as much as you wish, please, carry on!

It's white when you've just sent the geotag to your camera, after walking around a bit it goes red, it reminds you of either turning off the geotagging or refresh the location unless you're still on the same spot... at least, that's what I thought it was :-) 

• 3 weeks later...

well, I’ve lived without that all my life without ever missing it (or failing to remember where I shot each of the many pictures that i’ve shot)  but maybe that is simply due to having excellent memory.

I've taken many shots when I didn't even know where I was at the time:)

When you import images that are geotagged into Lightroom, it can show you a Google map showing where each image was taken. So if you want to find an image taken at a particular place, or even from a particular vantage point, you can do it using the map. So you don't need to personally be able to decode co-ordinates to enjoy it.

• 1 month later...

Obviously there are different needs. 

I am not sure that the co-ordinates would offer me any “ information” on where a picture was taken. But we are all different.

Imagine that, we are all different. I guess sometimes camera manufacturers build features into cameras not just for us but other users as well.

You can take the coordinates and plot them on maps. I have never used the feature but glad it's their in case I do need it.

It's actually more a bit of both. When a wifi connection is made with e.g. a smartphone. Depending on the settings, the location data (GPS info) of the smart phone will be used to "geotag" the images on the camera. The Iglo which is actually a globe with a pin ;) is showing the geotag status.