Macro-Closeup Photography !!

Ketsada UNs

Post your Macro-Closeup Photography !

Describe your camera settings.
Fuji X-E3, 70-300mm(300mm),/F6.4, ISO-320, 1/180sec.

Molting of insects !

Enjoy…… :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Fuji X-E3, 50-230mm F/6.7, 1/180sec., ISO-320

No photo to post yet, it's processing!

I bought Focus Stacker for my iMac and have only dabbled. This morning is my time for trying new stuff.

I'm shooting with the 80 f/2.8 R LM OIS WR Macro on an X-T30 II, shooting at f/4, using focus bracketing in manual mode. Dang -- I normally set shutter speed manually, had the exposure meter centered on its scale, and then discovered the shutter speed knob was accidentally set between the A and the 4000, EXIF reports 1/105 s.

My subject is a found coil spring 35 mm in diameter and 50 mm long, which was buried in the yard and is very heavily rusted with rich rusty shades and texture. Its closest point is 60 mm from the front of the lens hood.

I find 227 steps at the most coarse step size setting of 10 covers the entire spring. Scrolling through the photos gives this nice effect of the sharp areas traveling through the spring. But that is a lot of photos, 5.3 GB! 

What does the step size number actually mean? Is it scaled to the lens focal length, aperture, and focus distance? When I look around online I see a lot of focus stacking done with maybe 5 or 10 or 20 images, not hundreds.

Do you use focus bracketing and image stacking? How many images do you usually use?

Here's the final result. It took Focus Stacker an hour and a half.

1 hour ago, Astigmatism said:

No photo to post yet, it's processing!

I bought Focus Stacker for my iMac and have only dabbled. This morning is my time for trying new stuff.

I'm shooting with the 80 f/2.8 R LM OIS WR Macro on an X-T30 II, shooting at f/4, using focus bracketing in manual mode. Dang -- I normally set shutter speed manually, had the exposure meter centered on its scale, and then discovered the shutter speed knob was accidentally set between the A and the 4000, EXIF reports 1/105 s.

My subject is a found coil spring 35 mm in diameter and 50 mm long, which was buried in the yard and is very heavily rusted with rich rusty shades and texture. Its closest point is 60 mm from the front of the lens hood.

I find 227 steps at the most coarse step size setting of 10 covers the entire spring. Scrolling through the photos gives this nice effect of the sharp areas traveling through the spring. But that is a lot of photos, 5.3 GB! 

What does the step size number actually mean? Is it scaled to the lens focal length, aperture, and focus distance? When I look around online I see a lot of focus stacking done with maybe 5 or 10 or 20 images, not hundreds.

Do you use focus bracketing and image stacking? How many images do you usually use?

I think your image has many details of the object you are shooting and the file size of the settings on your camera as well, so if you use the original raw file in the focus stacker the resulting file will be larger.  It's huge and so is the JPG file, it's normal.  As for the images that will be used for the Focus stacker, there is no limitation on how many images you use.  but must be more than 4 images

8 hours ago, Astigmatism said:

I'm shooting with the 80 f/2.8 R LM OIS WR Macro on an X-T30 II, shooting at f/4, using focus bracketing in manual mode.

How many images does it take if you use f9 with step size 4?

Cool shot!

Not proper macro shots, but I took these on my X-T4 with the 16-80 kit lens and macro extension tube. 

• 1 year later...

I've been playing with the 70-300 at  300; not really "macro", but cool.

Edited by MARRIEDGUY9