I've got an X-Pro2 right now...anything you want to know?

One more. How about the viewfinder for those who wear glasses?

Not...great? I find that the small eye-cup and the smaller-than-X-T1 EVF make it difficult to see edge-to-edge. The corners of the EVF and OVF look slightly blurry to me. That's the unfortunate part and will probably keep me using the X-Tx line. 

The diopter is good enough that I can use the camera without glasses but then I'm just taking my glasses on and off. Time to laser eye surgery.

Oh, another one. Is AE bracketing any faster compared to the X-T1? The extra range is great, and if it's also using continuous high instead of low that would be even better.

I don't do this often but it did seem quicker. I think the X-T1 has slight lag in between shots but the X-Pro2 seemed to snap them off with no delay. Completely unscientific test and keep in mind that this isn't the final firmware.

Hi!

New forum user here.

I've a question about the ISO/Shutter dial and weather sealing. How spaced are the windowed dials? Do you think it's safe to say Fuji made it so no water/dust can seep through the gap in the dial window?

Thanks!

I don't know what you mean by how spaced they are. You lift the outer edge of the dial and turn to adjust the ISO and just turn it to adjust shutter speed. It's quite easy to get the hang of. You only lift the dial about 2-3mm for ISO and the gap doesn't look big enough for water to get in there unless you really dunk it.

Hi
About that AF-L button on the right (of the right)...
I always disable the autofocus function on the shutter button (on all my cameras) and instead of that I use the "AF-L" button on the back with my thumb. On the Xpro2 its position seems odd, can we program the AF-L on another button ? Maybe instead AE-L button ? Or everywhere else  :)

Thanks a lot.

You can swap the AE-L and AF-L button functions. Doesn't look like you can program any of the Fn buttons to AF-L/AE-L but again, not final firmware.

I would like to know why you dont wait until you have used it for more than a few hours before answering questions, then if you have used it under different conditions ect, then we can ask questions that will receive informative answers.

Or how about I leave you guys to gather info on your own or wait until the end of February? Geez...

Thanks for sharing, much appreciated!

My question: Did the focus improve in low light? My X-T1 struggles (takes long or fails to acquire focus) in low light situations compared to a DSLR and I'd like to know if we can expect a step forward in this regard. Thanks!

There's definite improvement here. I shot mostly in downtown Vancouver at night but I did find focus snappier than on my X-T1. I usually used the EVF and having it in ISO12,800 looks like night-vision most of the time. 

Yes please! I Have some questions!

- Has single shot to single shot time improved? It was really slow with the XT1, at least not nearlly as fast as any DSLR even budget ones.  It was the main motive I sold mine.

- Can you take single shots with continuous shooting mode selected? That would solve the single shot time but was impossible to do with the XT1,  always took at least two and really slowed down...and showed that anoying animation on screen.

-Will flash work with continuous shooting? 

Thank you so much!

I could not get it to take only one picture with 8.0fps selected. At least two each time but it didn't black out anything with the animation. 

Single shot time is improved. Seems to process quicker (I use the same Samsung 90mb/s cards in both).

Hi and congratulations!

I have a few questions for you.

1) Does the camera still fire off at least 3 frames if the drive dial is on the CL setting or can you leave it on CL and fire a single shot by releasing the shutter button quickly ?

2 ) The Magic Joystick® , can it work as a Fn button or can it not be pressed at all?

Thanks! 

2-3 frames, yes. I couldn't get it to take just one when set to 8.0fps but on 3.0fps, yes I could fire just one shot.

Yes, the joystick is also a button but no, it's not a customizable Fn button. This is pre-production firmware.

does face detection works when using OVF and if the face rectangle is visible while using OVF?

No, I couldn't get it to do face detection using the OVF. I don't think you can...?

Hi typeronin,

I have a question about skin waxing. It's a well known issue on X-T1, when shooting at ISO 6400 and above in JPEG, people's skin looks all smeared and blurry even on minimum NR setting.

I wonder if they fixed this in X-Pro2.

Thank you!

...are you doing portraits at 6400 and up?

Sorry, didn't try this. I don't have a lot of time left with it but maybe I'll take a picture of myself in the dark or something.

Does the X-Pro2 still have a macro mode?  .. more specifically, a macro mode you must engage if you wanted to focus at or near closest minimal focusing distance when using the OVF, thus forcing you the VF to switch to EVF so you can get accurate framing?

OR, does the X-Pro2, like more recent firmware update to the X-T1, for example, the macro mode is no longer and the lens and camera can focus the full range from infinity to minimal focus distance?

The X-Pro2 is not exactly a camera you would buy for macro shooting, BUT, some lenses have difficulty focusing at closer distance and even though it's not a macro shot you are after, it will more successfully focus at closer range when you have the macro mode engaged... but, like on the X-Pro1, when you engage macro mode, it forces a switch to EVF because the parallax error will be really bad assuming that you are focusing really really close... but, admittedly, that kind of sucks when you want to use the OVF and the distance to subject isn't really that close to be considered a macro shot, but you have to engage macro mode because the distance is under and within the macro range, unfortunately... it's just an extra step and process and little more time to have to switch to a macro mode when the shot you want is not macrio and you really don't need it.

For example, on my X-Pro1, I like to use the old 18mm f2, but to fill the frame with subject a little more, you have to get in closer, but I find at least 50% I get in just close enough that the AF won't focus unless I go to macro mode, then it will work, but that's extra time and attention diverted away from composing and taking the shot.. not to mention the EVF on the X-Pro1 is laggy (more reason I prefer to use the OVF).  And, when you look at the final shot and composition, it's hard to imagine why you have to engage macro mode for just such a shot.  I could position myself further away and crop, but that's an option I prefer not to do.

Anyways, to reiterate, does the X-Pro2 have a macro mode still to be able to AF on shorter distances to subject?

2-3 frames, yes. I couldn't get it to take just one when set to 8.0fps but on 3.0fps, yes I could fire just one shot.

Yes, the joystick is also a button but no, it's not a customizable Fn button. This is pre-production firmware.

No, I couldn't get it to do face detection using the OVF. I don't think you can...?

Thanks! Appreciated, just out of curiousity - what exactly happens when you press the joystick "button" ?

Frame line for 32mm (not 33mm) shown.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Also, size comparison of X-T1 (left) and X-Pro2 EVF size. Completely unscientific...I just held my phone's camera right up to the eyecup. That's pretty close to what I the EVF sizes look like to me. X-T1 seems to be larger and slightly closer as well.

How the hell do people take those really good shots of viewfinders? Macro lens? 

Can you change the ISO easily while still looking through the viewfinder? I have my X-Pro1 setup so that I can easily do this with the down button just below the 'Menu/OK' button. I like the idea of the ISO being around the speed dial, but hope that won't mean having to take my eye away from the viewfinder to change the ISO.

Not...great? I find that the small eye-cup and the smaller-than-X-T1 EVF make it difficult to see edge-to-edge. The corners of the EVF and OVF look slightly blurry to me. That's the unfortunate part and will probably keep me using the X-Tx line. 

The diopter is good enough that I can use the camera without glasses but then I'm just taking my glasses on and off. Time to laser eye surgery.

Well, that's a negative for me. I wear glasses, laser surgery isn't really an option, and doing the glasses-on-glasses-off dance each time I make a photograph — especially for street photography! — is not a very realistic idea. 

Dan

...are you doing portraits at 6400 and up?

Sorry, didn't try this. I don't have a lot of time left with it but maybe I'll take a picture of myself in the dark or something.

Ha-ha, no of course I don't shoot portraits at 6400. But sometimes I shoot people indoors without flash or outside in the evening. At f2.8 ISO can easily reach 6400 in these cases.

Thanks!

Thanks for all of this. Especially the picture of the viewfinders. I have an XT-1 and X100T. I really like the range finder functionality of x100t, and really like my tilt screen and large view finder on the XT-1. I have an xpro2 on preorder with the hopes that by adding say a 27 pancake, I could replace the two cameras with one. (I already have the 10-24 but use it more for landscape than street). 

If the damn thing would have come with tilt screen and larger view finder would be perfect for my choice and preference.  Decisions decisions decisions....

attachicon.gifxpro2-1.jpg

Also, size comparison of X-T1 (left) and X-Pro2 EVF size. Completely unscientific...I just held my phone's camera right up to the eyecup. That's pretty close to what I the EVF sizes look like to me. X-T1 seems to be larger and slightly closer as well.

attachicon.gifxpro2-2.jpg

It's probably due to the slightly longer eye point distance of 16mm on the X-Pro2....

attachicon.gifxpro2-1.jpg

attachicon.gifxpro2-2.jpg

Thanks so much for doing this XP2 AMA!

I did a quick calculation using PS that showed the X-T1 viewfinder is about 11% bigger than the X-Pro2.