I've got an X-Pro2 right now...anything you want to know?

Sorry about that....i just thought maybe due to elec shutter you may have to use the rear LCD screen.....Im thinking SLR.

But as range finder that doesn't come into it. Is that correct.

Best

G

Yes, I think you are thinking of live view with mirror up on a DSLR. Using the electronic shutter, you can still use the OVF, EVF, or LCD. Think of the electronic shutter as more of a virtual shutter with no moving parts. The only noises you will hear come from the lens; aperture blades and focusing motors. These are the same noises you hear when half pressing the shutter button. Hope this helps clarify it. 

Because, Fuji chose to do that this way, the electronic shutter in incompatible with certain functions of the Fuji cameras.

Just to clarify this a little bit with technical information. 

As the electronic shutter is not a "global shutter" it has technical limitations that make it unsuitable for certain features of the camera or certain things you expect from a shutter as one might be used to.

The electronic shutter in Fuji cameras works by reading the sensor line by line, which takes a certain amount of time. It is not a "snapshot in time" but a "window of time, where a snapshot of time is only a few lines of the sensor readout", which means that for example a flash exposure which has a burst of light much shorter than the readout of the whole sensor will only illuminate a certain amount of lines on the sensor. Similar but not the same to the effect you see when you choose a shutter speed above the flash sync speed with the mechanical shutter. You'll also get the "rolling shutter effect" due to the slow readout.

This would all be solved with a global electronic shutter which can read a snapshot in time from the whole sensor in one go. This is not possible with the sensor technology that is in the Fuji (and most other) cameras.

Regarding noise: the electronic shutter is absolutely noiseless. There is no sound AT ALL emitted from the shutter itself. If you put a manual lens in front of it, there is also no lens noise. 

That the Fuji cameras have a digital noise set for the electronic shutter has probably to do with legislation in some countries (like Japan and South Korea) which legally require a camera manufacturer to add a noise to the action of an image being taken. It generally can be turned off by the user, I have not looked up what the legal situation is for this in said countries, but it's not Fuji's responsibility anymore. 

Edited by cug

So far its great!  

Looks good with my old X10

G

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by spinneyhorse

• 4 weeks later...