I can´t open RAF files

Hello!

I recently got a Fujifilm TX3 and I tried transferring the RAF files to my computer (mac) and my iPhone and i cant open them, they just appear as grey squares and it says that the file cant be opened.

I have the Lightroom app on my phone and I can open the files there but I cant preview them so Its very hard to find the picture I want to edit as well. 

I hope someone can help :)

Which versions of the operating systems are you using on your Mac and iPhone?

Apple regularly releases updates to their operating systems that includes support for new cameras. They also release standalone updates for their desktop type computers so that you do not have to upgrade the entire operating system. However, updates for the iPhone usually mean updating the whole iPhone operating system.

Here is a list from a while back:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211241

7 hours ago, Montse Luna said:

Hello!

I recently got a Fujifilm TX3 and I tried transferring the RAF files to my computer (mac) and my iPhone and i cant open them, they just appear as grey squares and it says that the file cant be opened.

I have the Lightroom app on my phone and I can open the files there but I cant preview them so Its very hard to find the picture I want to edit as well. 

I hope someone can help :)

You are shooting compressed raw - Apple doesn't support compressed raw.

You will either have to switch to uncompressed or put up with the grey squares.

There are, however, plenty of programs (such as Lightroom) that will be able to open those compressed raw files on the Mac its just anything native Apple (such as finder and preview that won't recognize them).

FastRawViewer on the Mac is a good choice if you want to quickly view your raw files (and it supports both compressed and uncompressed raw).

• 1 month later...

Well, I have almost the same problem and when I started with my FujiFilm camera I didn't recognise right away that I cannot use the compressed images with Apple software. After recognising this fact I switched to uncompressed RAW, which is a compromise I can (and have to) get along with.

But, I'd like to have access to some of the earlier taken compressed RAW images on my Macs and iOS devices as well. So, this is my question: Is there a way to convert these images to uncompressed RAW or is the onliest way to solve my problem to convert them to TIFF, which can be used by almost every software and additionally the compressed TIFF format takes almost the same space as FujiFilm's compressed RAW format?

Thanks for any hint

Thomas

3 hours ago, SchroedersKater said:

Well, I have almost the same problem and when I started with my FujiFilm camera I didn't recognise right away that I cannot use the compressed images with Apple software. After recognising this fact I switched to uncompressed RAW, which is a compromise I can (and have to) get along with.

But, I'd like to have access to some of the earlier taken compressed RAW images on my Macs and iOS devices as well. So, this is my question: Is there a way to convert these images to uncompressed RAW or is the onliest way to solve my problem to convert them to TIFF, which can be used by almost every software and additionally the compressed TIFF format takes almost the same space as FujiFilm's compressed RAW format?

Thanks for any hint

Thomas

I've not seen anyone develop an app which would convert compressed to uncompressed (and I have looked). The other alternative would be to convert to DNG rather than TIFF using the free Adobe DNG converter (but they would be larger).

It's a shame that FujiFilm haven't published the compressed format to make it easy for third parties to uncompress their RAF files - or provided their own utility .

5 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

I've not seen anyone develop an app which would convert compressed to uncompressed (and I have looked). The other alternative would be to convert to DNG rather than TIFF using the free Adobe DNG converter (but they would be larger).

It's a shame that FujiFilm haven't published the compressed format to make it easy for third parties to uncompress their RAF files - or provided their own utility .

Are you up for some coding? I came across this awhile back over on DPReview;

1.) https://github.com/darktable-org/rawspeed/blob/f383f62eda0d22f53ea1b09c42348d63b5c915ac/src/librawspeed/decoders/RafDecoder.cpp

2.) https://github.com/darktable-org/rawspeed/blob/f383f62eda0d22f53ea1b09c42348d63b5c915ac/src/librawspeed/decompressors/FujiDecompressor.cpp

From the thread: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4559433

Also, I have not tried this since I do not use compressed raw files, but DarkTable itself has as an export option: raw to go along with the usual tiff, png, jpg and lots of the other flotsam and jetsam. DarkTable does import many of the Fujifilm compressed raw files. The raw export option is supposed to export a copy of the unedited raw files (with no editing changes). I wonder if it can be tricked into exporting an uncompressed version of the file. If so, batch mode would knock out a lot of files at a sitting.

12 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

Thanks for your answer, Greybeard!

There must be some info about this format somewhere because there are several apps that can decompress this format. I'll look around a bit.

BTW, why do you think DNG is better than TIFF?

42 minutes ago, jerryy said:

Are you up for some coding? I came across this awhile back over on DPReview;

1.) https://github.com/darktable-org/rawspeed/blob/f383f62eda0d22f53ea1b09c42348d63b5c915ac/src/librawspeed/decoders/RafDecoder.cpp

2.) https://github.com/darktable-org/rawspeed/blob/f383f62eda0d22f53ea1b09c42348d63b5c915ac/src/librawspeed/decompressors/FujiDecompressor.cpp

From the thread: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4559433

Also, I have not tried this since I do not use compressed raw files, but DarkTable itself has as an export option: raw to go along with the usual tiff, png, jpg and lots of the other flotsam and jetsam. DarkTable does import many of the Fujifilm compressed raw files. The raw export option is supposed to export a copy of the unedited raw files (with no editing changes). I wonder if it can be tricked into exporting an uncompressed version of the file. If so, batch mode would knock out a lot of files at a sitting.

Thanks a lot - I'll take a look

43 minutes ago, SchroedersKater said:

Thanks for your answer, Greybeard!

There must be some info about this format somewhere because there are several apps that can decompress this format. I'll look around a bit.

BTW, why do you think DNG is better than TIFF?

I don't have any opinion of DNG vs TIFF - its just that the Adobe DNG Converter is always a good (free) option for converting just about any raw format to DNG and the seem to keep it up to date - while others - especially Apple don't.

• 1 month later...

Hi all! New here.

Using DT  4.0 on Manjaro Linux.

I had a x 30 and thos raw files opened easily. Now with the xt-3:

I am having a big problem open x-trans 4 (c-mos 4?) raw files in darktable (3.8, 4.0). Shooting compressed lossless, compressed or uncompressed makes no difference. I always get a message to see if my camera is supported and it is. What to do?

I am using Rawtherapee 3.8 for the moment and it is incredibly detailed. But DT is just an easier workflow for me for quick editing.

I cannot convert 200 images every day to DNG with adobe converter.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

Thanks!