Zonlai 25mm f/1.8

redfishingboat

When FujiRumors linked to the Zonlai 25mm, I was quite intrigued.  I know there are fantastic 23mm lenses out there, but the small size (and small price) of the Zonlai made me want to try it. So I picked one up.  I have to say I'm hooked. 

My favorite lens on my XE2 is a Voigtlander 35mm 1.4 -- but it is just a tad constricting for my style. I prefer something wider. Hence the 25mm made me perk up

I added a focus tab to it, which really makes it feel like the VL in terms of manual focusing. There are no clicks for the f-stops, though. I'm not too put off by that, but i know some would be. 

The build quality seems sturdy to me.  I like that there is a depth-of-field scale, though the lens tab is covering it now. :(

Yes there is vignetting, yes some distortion, but nothing that bothers me personally for what I like to take pictures of.  These samples are from my first walkaround -- processed a bit much on the iPad, I guess. :-)  I just wanted to show what I am getting from the lens. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

After looking at these, I went and found one.  How accurate is the zone focusing on it?  I'm thinking of slapping it on my Pro1 and just zone focusing with it...

Good Q   I have never  gone ahead and tested any lens zone focusing.  Not sure the easiest way to do that.  Might need to find an American football field. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm on the verge of buying one too but I'd like some advice from those of you who already have it.

Looking at the samples I found online (here, flickr, instagram, taobao listings) there seems to be an obvious problem with the corners at wide apertures. I can very well leave with soft corners at f/1.8...4 for such a small lens, but I'd like to know how it behaves at f/8 and f/11 in the corners.

By the way, there is a tab that seems to be stickable on one side and small enough not to cover the whole distance scale.

When FujiRumors linked to the Zonlai 25mm, I was quite intrigued.  I know there are fantastic 23mm lenses out there, but the small size (and small price) of the Zonlai made me want to try it. So I picked one up.  I have to say I'm hooked. 

My favorite lens on my XE2 is a Voigtlander 35mm 1.4 -- but it is just a tad constricting for my style. I prefer something wider. Hence the 25mm made me perk up

I added a focus tab to it, which really makes it feel like the VL in terms of manual focusing. There are no clicks for the f-stops, though. I'm not too put off by that, but i know some would be. 

The build quality seems sturdy to me.  I like that there is a depth-of-field scale, though the lens tab is covering it now. :(

Yes there is vignetting, yes some distortion, but nothing that bothers me personally for what I like to take pictures of.  These samples are from my first walkaround -- processed a bit much on the iPad, I guess. :-)  I just wanted to show what I am getting from the lens. 

Hi! Where to find the lens tab? and which size? Thanks!

• 1 month later...

It looks so small! And I like the silver aluminum version. Tried to order one from one of Hong Kong seller, but they replied that manufacturer have some production delay for silver samples, so need to wait for few weeks until they appear again : )

The closest manual lens of similar size and versatility I've tried on Fuji was adapted Olympus Half Frame G.Zuiko 25mm 2.8 . It's also very small lens due to it's half-frame image circle coverage. Adapter is also slim, like LTM>FX . The only cons is the price - in good conditions in sells for $350+ .

I like your shot samples, and very interesting to try this lens, thanks for sharing.

Olympus Half Frame G.Zuiko 25mm 2.8

Olympus Half Frame G.Zuiko 25mm 2.8

Looks interesting and pretty affordable. I read somewhere that one user reported that he had a unit where an internal lens seems loose.....

read user wonjohnsoup

Thanks for useful point!

I've read details and will test mechanics once I find and buy silver version from one of sellers.

Looks like they are out of stock.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The results look OK. 

I ordered one a while back together with the Zonlai 35mm f1.8. I'm just waiting on delivery with impatience.

Hi! 

Any word on which one you like better? I'm more concerned about which one has better build quality and performance.

• 2 months later...

Hi! 

Any word on which one you like better? I'm more concerned about which one has better build quality and performance.

They're both pretty good for the price. Solid and quite compact.

Here's one from the 25 @1.8 (focus on the glass)

and here's one from the 35 @f16

29691034980_668ce0c57b_c.jpg

Wall Watching. by Begi Nabara, on Flickr

The 35 will focus down to one foot.

The 25 down to 7 inches.

Edited by Begi Nabara

• 4 weeks later...