Pre-order X Pro2 or wait for X T2

Hi, my first post. This post could probably be in the X T1 area as well.

I was a long time Canon shooter, moved recently to Fuji and the X T1. Since the X Pro1 was kinda dated and the X T1 seemed to be much more current, i decided to go that route. So, i just pre-ordered an X Pro2 this morning and I'm curious if anyone is going to wait a couple of months and get the X T2 in June when it's released, as opposed to jumping into an X Pro2?

Typically i don't wait for things, as you never know when something will actually get released, but this seems pretty firm at June/July and that's only a few months away. Will the X T1 have more/better/advanced capabilities than the X Pro2? Or will it be very similar? What camera is suited for what shooting styles?

Canon seemed much more clear in the different models of cameras...You bought a 1Dx if you were a sports/wildlife shooter and you bought a 5D iii if you were a studio/portrait shooter. I don't see at this point much difference between the X Pro and the XT... Help please.

I know this is just a guessing game at this point, but curious to hear anyones opinions.

Thx!

Currently, we have no clue.

We can argue all we want about it all day long, it wouldn't change the fact that not much is known about the X-T2. Looking at the changes to the X-Pro2, we can be certain that we won't be disappointed by whatever will be released.

Fuji camera in all their line is made for the shooter that will take time to take his shot. It's not a very nervous system, nor does it have many bells and whistles. Fuji bodies are severely lacking in features when compared to others but ask around and you will not find many here that do not find pleasure in shooting with them.

Fuji took the photography experience back to the roots, you take time to consider your shot and enjoy the whole process of taking the picture. Many pros have Fuji as second camera for hobbies/leisure. They might not use it for their work but seeing that many of them having an X100 series or X-Pro1 or X-T1 for some is a testament of Fuji's ideology.

The X-Pro/T series is made for the serious shooter that want precise control over what he is doing and is very picky about the quality.

I have had a couple of my portrait shots taken at ISO 3200 printed on A4 size and I was honestly amazed by how good it came out. Even if I am considering buying the newly announced Nikon D500, I just need to take my X-T1 one for a small event or just for half a day of shooting to remind myself why I love this system so much. 

That's sadly something that can be not added on a list of features of a camera.

I've been using Fuji X cameras since the original X100, and I still own and shoot the X100 and X100T. I also just recently bought a new X-Pro1 (my second one, the first one got traded a long time ago), and I'm loving it. After the new cameras were officially announced, I got rid of my X-T1 and preordered both the X-Pro2 and the X70. But even so, I still intend to keep and continue using the older cameras, the X100 and X-Pro1 in particular. Those cameras to me are true classics. 

For me, I think that the X100T, X-T1, & X-Pro2 are different enough cameras that they can each hold their own place in my professional workflow.  I own the 23mm f/1.4 and use it in some situations over the X100T but in other situations the X100T is better.   When the X-T2 comes though, then it will likely be no question.  Out with the 1, in with the 2.

One of potentially significant difference is rarely ever mentioned: the eyepoint distance. The X-T1 and X-E2 have 23mm, the X-Pro2 and X100T have 16mm. This is a massive difference for people with glasses, making the X-T1 and X-E2 much more suited for these folks. Depending on the style of your glasses that's actually a make or break thing. For example, if I wear my glasses, I have a hard time using the X100T. I basically have to use contacts for shooting, which is okay, but can be inconvenient.

The other is that the X-T1 is a better fit for left eye dominant shooters, while the X-Pro/X-E line fits well for right eye dominant shooters. 

Next is the difference in viewfinder size. The X-T1 is HUGE compared to the X-Pro1/2 or X100T or any other Fuji actually. It's like comparing a 37" TV to 50" TV. 

Other than that, look at the rear and top plates: the X-E and X-Pro lines have a much cleaner layout with more things accessible via (programmable) buttons. The X-T1 has drive mode, metering mode on dials that can get easily bumped when changing ISO or shutter speed. 

These are less pronounced differences than for example with Canon cameras, but that's also because Fuji basically has been using a single sensor across the lines while Canon uses a variety of sensors also in a variety of body styles and sizes. At this point the capability differences have basically been "the newer the better", but I'd expect that to change over time a little with the X-T2 and X-Pro2 lines getting the latest and greatest and the smaller ones not getting some of the features that make the other ones more expensive like WR, possibly better sensors or faster CPUs and bigger buffers and higher res or more sophisticated viewfinders.

Over time the line might diversify a little but so far it hasn't apart from the "the newer the better" and rangefinder vs. SRL body style.

Hi, my first post. This post could probably be in the X T1 area as well.

I was a long time Canon shooter, moved recently to Fuji and the X T1. Since the X Pro1 was kinda dated and the X T1 seemed to be much more current, i decided to go that route. So, i just pre-ordered an X Pro2 this morning and I'm curious if anyone is going to wait a couple of months and get the X T2 in June when it's released, as opposed to jumping into an X Pro2?

Typically i don't wait for things, as you never know when something will actually get released, but this seems pretty firm at June/July and that's only a few months away. Will the X T1 have more/better/advanced capabilities than the X Pro2? Or will it be very similar? What camera is suited for what shooting styles?

Canon seemed much more clear in the different models of cameras...You bought a 1Dx if you were a sports/wildlife shooter and you bought a 5D iii if you were a studio/portrait shooter. I don't see at this point much difference between the X Pro and the XT... Help please.

I know this is just a guessing game at this point, but curious to hear anyones opinions.

Thx!

Well, I think you've likely already got a lot of the answers in your own mind at the moment.  You already own an X-T1 and have made some kind of rationalisation to purchase an X-Pro2.  Why?  Something with the shiny new one has prompted you to move on, so what was it that sealed it for you?  Would you expect the new, as of yet completely rumoured X-T2 to have or not have that feature?  Does that feature really make your photography skills or photographs or the experience of photographing measurably better?  Odds are pretty good that the X-T2 will be a small evolution/refinement from the X-T1, likely with 90% of the same features as the X-Pro2, so you should already have some feelings about shooting with your X-T1 and why you think the X-Pro2 will improve upon that.  Going back to the X-T2 will likely be very, very similar to shooting with your current camera.

To me, anyway, the X-T and X-Pro lines really boil down to slightly different shooting paradigms:  Rangefinder style with hybrid viewfinder/fixed screen versus SLR-style with EVF/tiltable screen.  Everything else will be mostly the same (though the little differences between the two will be totally down to your personal preferences and may not be so small to you).  I love Fuji's approach of jamming the same sensor in all cameras, as you can then decide on the shooting style / price / size that works for you and still get the same quality of pictures.  Wonderful.  This is really the way you should be considering this, I think... what about the two body styles will be preferable for you?

I would have a very hard time convincing myself to wait around for an unannounced camera on the off chance it has some magical thing that will make my photos 100x better (because it won't, as much as we lie to ourselves all the time ;)).  Personally, I absolutely adore my X-T1 and will most likely wait around for an X-T3 before I even think of upgrading.  This camera is part of my hand, allows me to make completely awesome prints pretty much as large as I'll ever need, and best of all I ALREADY OWN IT and can walk out the door and make photographs this very second.  That $1800 for the shiny new camera can stick around in my pocket while I make more and more photos with my perfectly awesome camera.  That's not to say at all that I won't drool all over the X-T2 whenever it is announced and fight to keep my credit card from magically flying into the machine at the local shop, because I absolutely will.  I just know at this moment that I have a camera... a friggin' excellent camera with friggin' excellent lenses and I'm going out to shoot some photos that will be 99% the same with this camera or any refinement thereof, not matter how shiny or sexy the new one may be.  Boy, I'm wordy today.  All I'm trying to say is... you have a wicked camera at your side at this very moment.  Go use it!  Forget the new stuff and make photos! (Maybe that's helpful, maybe not.)

And totally personal preference, but I no longer have any use for an OVF, as much as I bemoaned EVFs for years.  The X-T1 has converted me and there's no going back.  So, the X-Pro line is mostly wasted on me these days, as much as I do love the look and style of a classic rangefinder design (I borrow my neighbour's Leica M4 on occasion... so awesome to shoot with).  But to each their own. 

Thank you for the input everyone. Some great points made.

The primary reasons I have ordered the X Pro2, based on the specs and any user videos i have watched (compared to the X T1 not the X Pro1 - faster AF, extra MP's, faster processor, new processor, dual card slots and that's about it. The AF speed is what i most desire coming from Canon 1DX. I realize mirrorless will prob never get the AF speed of the good DSLR's, but when they say 40% faster AF than the X Trans ii processor, that excites me. And paired with the new 100-400 lens, that additional AF speed will be huge. Keeping the fingers crossed that it does what they say it will do.

Oh and yes, i do like shiny new toys! :)

For me, it'll be one of each (I'm rough enough on cameras that I like having two bodies). I'm a landscape photographer who teaches and does a fair bit of backcountry photography - I'm planning on thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail in 2017. Why one of each instead of two just the same? There are times, especially at twilight, that I'll want the OVF on my primary body. Other times, I'll want the huge EVF (especially if, as I suspect, it's a very high resolution unit), or I'll want 4K video, On the trail, I won't carry both (it'll be one body, a primary lens that covers the normal range (I haven't decided between the versatility and stabilization of the 18-135 (already own) and the IQ of the 16-55 (might buy) - maybe Fuji will make it easy on me and introduce something in between), plus the 10-24), but I'll probably switch between bodies several times over the six month journey, and I may even hike with the 100-400 during some piece of fall bird migration??? Hopefully, after 1500 miles, I'll be in shape to go from 30 lbs total (most of it tent, food, water, etc.) to 33 as the big lens joins me.

I don't see at this point much difference between the X Pro and the XT... Help please.

and the official answer is...

DPreview: Can you explain more about these different kinds of photographers as you see them?

FUJI: When we started the X-series with the X100 we were aiming at street photographers. And the X-Pro1 and now the X-Pro2 are extensions [of that concept]. The X-T1 is for those photographers who like to photograph sports, nature and wildlife. What they like to shoot is different, so we need to provide for two different kinds of photographers.

http://www.dpreview.com/interviews/6258617860/fujifilm-interview-jan-2016

and the official answer is...

DPreview: Can you explain more about these different kinds of photographers as you see them?

FUJI: When we started the X-series with the X100 we were aiming at street photographers. And the X-Pro1 and now the X-Pro2 are extensions [of that concept]. The X-T1 is for those photographers who like to photograph sports, nature and wildlife. What they like to shoot is different, so we need to provide for two different kinds of photographers.

http://www.dpreview.com/interviews/6258617860/fujifilm-interview-jan-2016

Interesting Thanks!!

So, i will keep my X T1 and sell it prior to the launch of the X T2 and then have both versions 2's :)

My first post on this forum.  I've been a member in another Fuji X forum for quite some time.

As much as I'm tempted by the awesome specs of X-Pro 2, I think I'm going to wait for XT-2.  My reasons:

1. X-Pro 2's viewfinder is on the left hand side ... this makes it awkward for me to shoot vertically.

2. X-Pro 2 doesn't seem to offer battery grip, whereas I use a battery grip for my current XT-1, it makes it more balanced with heavier lenses.

3. Personally, I like the dSLR style of XT-1 more than the rangefinder style of X Pro 2.