Fuji-X Sport: Slalom and Free Style Ski

GilBarib

Hi !

I went to one of the local ski center last Saturday with my X-T1 and XF50-140 + XF1.4TC combo to shoot some university level FIS sanction Slalom race (they are fast!).  There was also a Free Style event on the slope right by the slalom course so I was able to get a few SIF ( Skiers In Flight) pics as well.

The Flickr Album: https://flic.kr/s/aHsks7x5WG

The Fuji-X Sport and Action Group on Flickr:  https://flic.kr/g/quLzW

Thanks for looking

Gilles

These are very good. What focusing mode did you use? I am still undecided between zone and single point focus for this kind of pictures.

Thanks ! For these I used de Zone mode , 3x3 grid for the Free Style and a mix of 5x3 and 3x3 grids for the Slalom

Thanks for the fine sports pictures, Gilles.

Wide Tracking + C + CL - that's it in my opinion!

Regards Rieke

Hi ! Thanks too ! Wide Tracking will use the outer (and slower) CDAF points on the sensor, it is better to stick to the central hybrid CDAF/PDAF points for fast subject, either with Zone or Single

Here are the settings on my X-T1 when I'm shooting sports

High Performance Mode is On,

Pre AF is On,

AF-Mode mostly on Zone, 5x3 grid or 3x3, and only the central PDAF points are used, I'll use Single Point if the subject is a busy pack of athletes to keep the AF from jumping from one to the other. 

Release /Focus Priority is set to Focus (both for Af-S and Af-C),

Face detection = Off

Eye detection = Off

Shutter on MS only.

AF is on Continuous and the Drive Mode is on CH (8fps),

My EVF is set to Normal, not Full

LMO is On (even if I'm shooting RAW only)

I'm shooting RAW only with a 300mb/sec 64gb SD UHS II, no problems with the buffer.

I usually aim and half-press the shutter while tracking the subject, I'll then fire a short burst when the subject is close to the optimum distance.

The hard part is aiming during the black out, practice and anticipation is the key, but I'm sure I'm going to love the X-T2  :)

Thanks again

Gilles