Camera Raw, LR5, Photoshop CS5

I would like to get to the bottom of the issue with opening RAW files out of Lightroom into Photoshop. Sometimes I get a message saying something like "Unable to use the Camera Raw plug-in. It is not compatible with this version of Photoshop." Sometimes I get no message, and Photoshop opens but loads no image.

I'm on a Mac, and I've tried v6.7, 8.8 and 9.3 of the ACR plugin in the folders under /Library/Application support/Adobe/Plug-ins/...

Has anyone here had a similar experience, or know of a fix?

Ian.

--

LR5 and PS CS5 have incompatible RAW converters. This means that you cannot simply use LR to open an image in PS, as CS5 will probably understand neither the format of the RAW file nor the instructions as to what to do with it. This is certainly true of Fuji RAF files, since the introduction of the X-Trans sensor post-dates the release of CS5. Instead there should be an option like "Render file using Lightroom", and this is what you should choose. This way, LR does all the donkey work and then passes the processed file to CS5 (which has nothing to do). By the way, there was a significant improvement in the handling of X-Trans file in LR6.1, so you might want to think about an upgrade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk