New Fujifilm XF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Dilemma

Fred4hp

I now have a dilemma about whether to order the new 100 - 400 lens. I already have a good copy of a Canon 100 - 400 and could just buy an adapter for my XT1. Of course I lose autofocus but I save $1900 (less the cost of the adapter). What makes it more of a dilemma is that both lens weigh about the same. I was hoping the Fuji would weigh a lot less than the Canon. Anyone else in the same quandary?

Well, I’d buy that cheap adapter anyway and see how the Canon fares with it.

It pretty much comes down to how important it is to have a lens which operates quickly, or not.

If the latter suffices and  you are happy with it, and you won’t succumb to mere gear acquisition syndrome induced by all the talk around new and expensive lenses that one must have to stand and be counted, you might save a lot of money and be happy spending it on some other more or less important things.

I now have a dilemma about whether to order the new 100 - 400 lens. I already have a good copy of a Canon 100 - 400 and could just buy an adapter for my XT1. Of course I lose autofocus but I save $1900 (less the cost of the adapter). What makes it more of a dilemma is that both lens weigh about the same. I was hoping the Fuji would weigh a lot less than the Canon. Anyone else in the same quandary?

Exact same problem.  Been waiting for it to come out so I could order it immediately.  Then had to replace two computers so money is tight and I do own the Canon 100-400 with 7D that works well as long as I have good light.  This lens is a must for me, but I am going to have to wait.   The reviews so far just look too good.

I did get the adapter and it works well but REALLY needs the auto focus.  Where the adapter comes in is my Canon 100 Macro on the XT-1 - really sweet as I do Macro manually all the time any way.

I did not have this dilemma as I don't own the Canon version. I was hoping this lens would have been a bit cheaper, more around the $1500 price. I own a 6D and considered for a few hours to buy the older Canon 100-400mm as they are relatively cheap used and a lens this large defeats the whole "small" mirrorless advantage. I read a few reviews talking about the sharpness and image stabilization of the fuji, and decided to hit the preorder button. I have not used the xf 50-140, so I do not know the claims of the AF compared to that lens, but if it can truly do action on my X-T1, I will likely consider abandoning my Canon system all together.

my friend and I are also considering this lens over the canon 400 f5.6. But the more we compare, the more we find that it's not really a good comparison so we decided to just pre-order. The main features we value are weight, size, focal length, AF speed, future compatibility, practicality then cost. I have owned a 50-140 but is a much faster lens and labelled "red badge" which the 100-400 isn't.

I'm not expecting in par with the red badge zoom but it should be "usable". Once we get the lens maybe we should pool our thoughts again!

...I'm not expecting in par with the red badge zoom but it should be "usable". Once we get the lens maybe we should pool our thoughts again!

Just manage to see that this lens is actually a red badge zoom! Can't wait to try it to see the results!

To the OP:

I would not use EF lenses on Fujifilm cameras, as long as there are no smart adapters like the metabones for sony. They don't focus, you can't close the aperture, and you lose the image stabilization.

I'd rather think about this:

The XF 100-400 for your X-T1, or a Canon 7D II for your EF 100-400? Both will cost you the same.

I'll buy the 100-400 as soon as I can get one. But for now, none of my photo shops has it for preorder, can you believe that?

they did, it is called 100-400mm ;)

what they did (the 100-400) is actually a lot better than the 55-200 with a 1.4x or 2.0x teleconverter.

Now if Fuji would only make a 1.4x or 2x teleconverter that would fit my 55-200, that would be great.

This would give you either a 78-283 F4.8-6.7 or a 110-400 F6.7-9.5, both with superbly slow focus and probably pretty bad image quality. And that is the reason why the teleconverter mechanically only fits those three lenses (50-140, 100-400, 120) where it is reasonable optically.

I appreciate all the comments about the 100-400 and teleconverters. Has anyone heard any rumors about third parties developing either an adapter that will allow autofocus and exposure control with the XT1 or any third party lenses that work fully automatically with Fuji cameras without adapters?  Seems that most of the third party companies look at the Fuji market as too small to invest in.

the only company which has had any go at autofocus lenses was Zeiss and they might update their lenses or develop some new ones or abandon the Fuji X system altogether. My crystal ball is cloudy.

http://www.fujirumors.com/game-over-for-the-zeiss-touit-lenses-no-more-touits-this-year-and-maybe-not-even-in-2016/

I doubt that other third party makers would be jumping on making autofocus lenses for Fuji, Sigma appears not to.

http://www.fujirumors.com/new-source-unveils-why-sigma-will-not-make-x-mount-lenses-and-what-fuji-did-wrong-according-to-sigma/

Nice to see that there are folks out there supporting Fuji to their outmost, stimulating the sales of their most expensive gear. These are the people who make possible for Fuji to be still producing cheap gear for the rest of us who only dream of these things. :rolleyes:

Me, I am a cheapskate!  ^_^

I have Canon and Fuji too.
And I use the Canon 5.6/100-400 mm L IS II - with the fantastic macro-mode.

And if I compare, I am disappointed by the new Fuji, ist ist not shorter, not really lighter, has no gut close-focus distance / Image scale

and I can use my Canon on a 5DSR with 51 MP and have perfect stabilization until 1/125 sec freehand with 400 mm, or even at the 7DII at 600 mm.

So there is no reason why the Fuji should do better with Image stabilization in practice.

I will test it, but for me, I keep my Canon for tele-photography - Canon was for 25 years now ahead of all other lens makers in tele-lenses.

but I love my 2.0/90 mm and 1.2/56 mm Fujinon.

I have been waiting for this new 100-400 for years since I got my X-E1.

With the Canon EF 100-400 w/ X-Mount adapter means you lost both AF and IS, which in the 400mm focal length you pretty much have to always use tripod. The DOF is just too shallow when wide open to properly handheld and have sharp focus. A slight move is enough to blur the image.

On the other hand, with MF magnification peak & focus highlight on LCD or EVF it's easy to take sharp photos with MF lens on tripod. I've got lots of good sharp bird photos with my old Nikon MF 500mm F/4.

So I guess it really depends on your photo subject. It would be very hard to do MF for bird in flight shot or sport/action short. On the other hand, you will probably do fine if your subject stay still (says birds at nest, super-moon shot, etc).

Nice to see that there are folks out there supporting Fuji to their outmost, stimulating the sales of their most expensive gear. These are the people who make possible for Fuji to be still producing cheap gear for the rest of us who only dream of these things. :rolleyes:

Me, I am a cheapskate!  ^_^

I helped out a lot in the last 1 1/2 years, but at least i've been able to resist the F2/8 zooms for now  ;)

• 3 weeks later...