Be careful with thumb grips.

This happend to me ...  :huh:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

That's exactly why i got one of those expensive ones (match technical) that is made to fit one specific body, with rubber pads on the back (also made to fit). Meaning no wiggle at all, thus no tension on the hot-shoe. 'Whacking it' would push the thing up against the body, before it would actually pull on the hot-shoe at all, if ever. Thanks to the proper force displacement.

But man, that is some bad luck. Good though that you brought it up to warn others.

Hope you're not into flash photography. :rolleyes:

But man, that is some bad luck. Good though that you brought it up to warn others.

Hope you're not into flash photography. :rolleyes:

No, i (almost) never use flash.

Soon it wil be repaired, i stil got the hotshoe and the screws.

No, i (almost) never use flash.

Soon it wil be repaired, i stil got the hotshoe and the screws.

Are you going to try to get another thumb grip? They are certainly nice and I think you might miss not having one. If so, which model. If budget is a concern, look for used.

That made me grimace, I hope it gets repaired soon. I second the Match Technical Thumbs Up. I use a flash remote in the studio so I needed a thumb rest with no screws. The Match Technical model is a hand polished solid piece of brass that sits securely but easily slides off and on.

I have both Match Technical and Lensmate thumb rests… Latter are much better designed, former are more solidly built from (arguably) better material.

If you want a thumb grip, you're on the wrong path. You shouldn't be using the hot shoe as a fulcrum. That "thumbs up" gizmo really is a thumb rest, an index point to aid with the grip. Like when you're climbing a very steep hill, you may grab onto some grass; it won't even remotely support your weight, but might help with the posture and overall stabilization. Same here.

A hot shoe has never been designed for this kind of gimmick. Creates forces and torques, while it has only very little, undeep screws. That's my opinion, reason why I never bought such a thumb-rest. Also in the DSLR time, I've had several times issues with hot-shoe plates sitting loose after using bigger flashes, it's an extremely delicate item.

Wow, sorry to see that.

I have been using a Lensmate thumb grip (rest) on an XE-2 for a while now and have been very happy with the fit (to the camera and my thumb) but I'm sure if I hooked something hard it would probably do the same thing!

Thanks for the heads up!

Wow, sorry to see that.

I have been using a Lensmate thumb grip (rest) on an XE-2 for a while now and have been very happy with the fit (to the camera and my thumb) but I'm sure if I hooked something hard it would probably do the same thing!

Thanks for the heads up!

Lensmates design negates this issue. It's stopped at the end of the lever where it contacts the body.

Lensmates design negates this issue. It's stopped at the end of the lever where it contacts the body.

It somewhat protects against bumps, but if you read carefully, you might notice that @Sip's original text says "…but I'm sure if I hooked something hard…"

Hi there. I saw your post on Fujitumors and so I created an account today just so I could see the photo. What happened to you was exactly what happened to my X-Pro1. I banged it on the door, even though I was trying my best to avoid it. I ended up glueing it back on with Pliobond adhesive. The hot shoe no longer triggers a flash but I can put a radio trigger on the hotshot and then run a pic sync cord down to the of socket on the lower side of the camera.

I think that the only way to ensure safety of the hot shoe with thumb rests is rater counterintuitive… Making thumb rests from the very frangible material, as opposed to the current trend of "hi end" materials like milled brass.

It somewhat protects against bumps, but if you read carefully, you might notice that @Sip's original text says "…but I'm sure if I hooked something hard…"

Thanks for the warning.

In my opinion, repetitive torque fatique on the hot shoe through normal use is more probable to cause damage than accidentally hooking the grip backwards on something. I'll take care not to hook mine backwards and take that risk.  The lensmate makes a huge difference in comfort and makes it worth the risk to me.    Then again, I don't use a UV filter to protect my front lens elements either because the risk is worth the increased IQ to me.     Yeah, I live on the edge.  ...next step.. unprotected sex.

Hi there. I saw your post on Fujitumors and so I created an account today just so I could see the photo. What happened to you was exactly what happened to my X-Pro1. I banged it on the door, even though I was trying my best to avoid it. I ended up glueing it back on with Pliobond adhesive. The hot shoe no longer triggers a flash but I can put a radio trigger on the hotshot and then run a pic sync cord down to the of socket on the lower side of the camera.

So i am not the only one.