India Trip anyone ?

Alf

For less money you can hire a local guide to get you around, then you won't be taking the same photos as everyone else. Contact one of the many photography schools in the country. Students can always use cash and will understand your needs. Look at that poster, now haven't you seen a similar photo many times before?

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for your comments Michael

I totally agree you can hire your own guide , indeed we use one ourselves for part of this tour

You could also hire a student I suppose as you say ....

or

You could work alongside a guy with 30 years pro experience in a very small group and have an amazing experience

Luckily this trip is now 40% full and will be promoted at the NEC in March so will fill very quickly

As you know so much about this I will assume you have visited India many times and I would love to see your pictures 

Some of mine can be seen here

If anyone would like to see more please let me know :)

http://peteraphoto.com/india.html

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Alf, I've only spent a total of about a year in India over the last 30. One will always get a different view working with locals. Whether that experience is more valuable is an individual opinion.

I'm glad that you feel so strongly about your work.

Thats great so from a year in India you must have some amazing pictures

Im sure we would all like to see them 

Well, as much as I'd love to go every year, the wife wont let me :(.  So this year we are going to Japan, in about a month and a half.  Next year will be Germany, Austria & Italy (Venice to be exact).  But I told her that's it!  After that it's back to India.  That will teach her! LOL

I have a wife who just loves driving me to the airport.... can't think why :)

I thought bought Japan but it would not be "rough" enough for me and I would spend far to much on gadgets !

Venice is perfect for photography but best avoid the summer as the light is very contrasty not to mention the 1000's of tourists

Ive been a few times and my best trip was in Feb just before the carnival

It was a bit chilly but the light and mist were fantastic 

Attached is a pic shot early morning  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Nope, my wife would be angry if I got to go and she didn't.  Well I can't really rough it either, since I do have a 4 going on 5 year old.  That's rough enough for me.  But she's handled the trip to Hawaii and Wales ok.  We are better prepared this time for the trip.  As for Venice, I don't really care for it much, mostly because of so many tourists.  But it's not that long of a drive from south of Munich, and we'll be with friends, so that's really why we'll be going.  I rather go to small little country towns in Italy.  We'll probably be going around October of next year, not sure how busy that time of year will be there.

• 1 month later...

I had the opportunity to participate in two workshops led by Matt Brandon, a Malaysia based humanitarian and travel photographer, and by Piet Van den Eynde, a Belgian freelance photographer and Lightroom and off-camera flash expert. Both are official X-photographers.

The first one, in 2014, was more of a 'normal' workshop throughout Rajasthan with 9 participants. Through a combination of one-to-one tuition, individual assignments and group sessions, Matt and Piet help each participant develop their own vision and style, as well as push them to explore new directions.

The second and rather 'atypical' one, just two months ago, brought three alumni participants together with Matt and Piet  focusing on one common goal: making environmental portraits on location using off-camera lighting, in and around three North India cities.

You can find more info on these workshops as well as reports from past ones on Matt's The Digital Trekker site, or on Piet's MoreThanWords blog.

Hi there,

I just returned from a three week adventure to India--no time in big cities.  Here are some of the images:

http://www.douglasweismanphotography.com/Travel/People-of-India-2016/

http://www.douglasweismanphotography.com/Travel/India-2016

Though the purpose of our trip was wildlife, and specifically, to find the Bengal tigers, I found really interesting scenes in rural farm country and small villages.  The people were warm and open, though very little, if any English spoken where we were.  The landscapes and vistas were spectacular, though it is very dry this time of year.

All my images are with Fuji X cameras and wildlife with the new Fuji 100-400 zoom.  Take a look and please comment.

D. Weisman

Hello FujiForum members. I am new here as I am mainly a Leica M9 photographer. But I have enjoyed my Fuji XE1 and will probably get an X Pro2 once I am sure that the bugs are worked out and I can use my M lenses. My reason for commenting had to do with the comments on visiting India. I have looked at the websites by both Alf and Weisman and I wasn't very encouraged. As a working professional, please disregard my comments if the aim of the web images was to share the pleasure of photography at an amateur level. But asking people to sign up for a foreign trip and then have their images reviewed should require a far more impressive visual approach then depicting colorful faces sitting on a bench. The world is getting smaller and smaller and the "deep dark continents" are looking more and more like Walmarts. As photographers we should be making images that have strong content with something to say about life and culture  and less about the shock value of the "other." As a a well traveled pro with 35 years under my belt, you'll need to go much further and get more intimate for me to consider someone a peer or a mentor.

As for the requests by Alf to show and prove, I agree some perspective would be fair.  http://dixondeuxyeux.com/indiaportfolio.html I consider these files average. I don't give away my best work for free. But then my use of average is relative.

Wherever you travel, go and get dirty. Lose yourself and then enjoy finding the road back home.

Martin Dixon

Dakar, Sénégal

Author, photographer of Brooklyn Kings: New York City's Black Bikers