Looking for Tips/Photo Recipes for Indoor Crossfit Sports/Action Event

cucinaferrari

Hi Everyone, I shoot food photography and travel with great success via my X-T1 (35mm 1.4, and 18-135mm WR).

I have been invited to the Boston Seaport World Trade Center, an indoor convention space illuminated with energy efficient LED lighting. Most shots will have to be handheld since there will be little space for a tripod on the floor space. I find myself a little intimidated by the low lighting aspect present during the event action.

I am desperately seeking advice on photo recipes and best practices for capturing some great images with my X-T1.

Thanks!

There are others that will be able to tell you more about shooting such events, but a few thoughts from my side:

- LED lighting does not have to be dark. This market segment is slowly picking up after being pretty bad in the last years. But it brings other problems with it. Without going too much into detail, most LED powered lighting technology only emits narrow bands of color, most of them in the yellow and blue frequencies. This could lead to ugly looking images, while your eyes and your brain would work together to make it look almost normal to you.

- I guess you are not planning to buy new equipment, but I think you are good anyway. The 35 is fast, and the travelzoom has a great OIS.

- Think about a monopod. Not as big as a tripod, but still helpful for dimly lit scenarios.

- I'd set the aperture manually (+shutter speed for the real action stuff) and let the camera do the rest.

Aaaand... have fun!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• In Windows PCs the backup is saved in  folder Documents>Fujifilm>Conditions. If you open this folder in a window before you start the backup you'll see the backup file appear in the window. It's almost instantaneous. It's a confidence booster. I don't remember X-Aquire giving any indication that backup has completed. The backup files include the date and the camera make so if you have two Fuji cameras they all go in the same folder. New backups do not over-write the older ones so you can restore an older one if you should so wish. Simon  
    • Hi, thanks for getting back to me. It's a shame because my X-Pro1 works perfectly except for the aperture with the 27mm lens. I think it would be better to switch to the new WR version that allows aperture changes with the ring. Thanks for your help.
    • I have the same issue on my X-Pro 1 and can no longer use lenses with no aperture ring. I contacted Fuji Tech several years ago and was told the camera would have to be disassembled and the mother board replaced at a couple hundred dollars. I was also told Fuji would no longer be repairing X-P1 as they stopped making parts for them. I did not check to see if any third party repair shops could fix it. Everything else on the camera works fine.
    • Thanks for answering my question! About this one item -- why is it better to do this with the camera on? Just curious.