Stay with the custom film simulation with X-Trans III, or buy X-Trans IV instead?

B0B

Does anyone here shoot to jpg using their own film simulation? When I got the X-H1 (X-Trans III), I didn't know that there were custom film simulations. But nowadays I see that there are many more options for the newer X-Trans IV to modify film simulations and I would very much like to try.
But the fact is that with the X-H1 I usually can't quite replicate the sample photos of the film simulations for the X-Trans III in terms of image quality (I don't mean composition), so I'm not sure I can achieve with the X-Trans IV without modification what I see on the internet for the simulations as sample photos. I don't know if there are some additional adjustments there anyway, or if different models with e.g. X-Trans III shoot a bit differently.

Owning an X-Trans IV means owning an X100V, X-Pro3, X-T4, X-S10, X-E4 or X-T30 II. The X100V, X-Pro3 and X-T4 are quite expensive and don't appear much in the bazaars - and if they do they are still expensive. That leaves the X-S10, X-E4 and X-T30 II. The X-E4 and X-T30 II are pretty small in the hand, the X-S10 only has 4 custom film simulation settings (if I'm not mistaken).

So: take advantage of what the X-Trans III can do and try to finish the rest with post-processing, or rather enjoy the actual shooting and shoot mainly in jpg (raw too for possible editing on some selected photos)? And if to get a camera, which one?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion raw is the way to go with any camera. It gives you a much wider range of options in post and takes advantage of the cameras full dynamic range. Then you can forget about wondering what film simulation to use and do it all afterwards. That's just me though. I understand that there are other opinions.