Thinking about buying a FUJI X-T1 used... anything i should look for?

enthawizeguy

Thinking about buying a FUJI X-T1 used from amazon marketplace. ... anything i should look for? The seller says he bought it as a backup for his leica m9 in march and took about 1500 photos but never uses it cause he doesn't really like the viewfinder.  It has box , accessories etc.  and for less than 900. Should i go for it? If i do than I can afford 2 lenses as well. Also might buy a used 18mm lense. Both products are supposedly in like new condition. 

1500 shots is close of nothing for a camera, there are no hard numbers but it seems X-T1 can take up to 150k shutters before you need to consider anything about it.

And even if the mechanical shutters starts misbehaving the electronic shutter will keep going until the inside electronics dies. The number of ppl who can actually break the shutter on a camera from brand new to almost dead is only a couple of hundred or so. Most of time something else will push for the change of a camera body.

If the price is good and the seller looks good too, then go for it.

Let's try to stay positive, the OP clearly is having conflicting thoughts about investing a large sum of money into something.

If I were back at my beginning I would be fretting just as much if not more, I can get behind his stress and need to be reassured.

Last point ethawizeguy, there will be no good choice. Just a choice. Whatever you decide to do at the end of day, there will always be a better camera tomorrow. Or another thing that would make you think you will be a sudden formidable photographer.

The only way to get better is to take a camera, any camera, and start shooting. Your first 10k shots will be crap, some might be better than the rest but it won't be that good. After taking lots of pictures you will get better at everything and will come to a better understanding of this craft.

Take your time and take it easy.

Let's try to stay positive, the OP clearly is having conflicting thoughts about investing a large sum of money into something.

If I were back at my beginning I would be fretting just as much if not more, I can get behind his stress and need to be reassured.

That's what I mean ... I personally would not invest such an amount if I still had so many uncertainties. Better to take your time and make up your mind, than to find out later that you rushed to the wrong decision (for you).

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I got the XT-1 just trying to decide between the two 35mm lenses and if i should buy used or new.

If condition is good, I always buy used lenses. I don't care at all about cosmetic problems, as long as the mechanics are fine. Usually saves me lots of money. New gear can have issues too. Both 35's are great, big difference for me apart from price, is the decision if you prefer WR or a stop faster aperture?

I think you can safely buy XF 18mm new for less than $300 from Korea on eBay. I've purchased four new XF 27mm 2.8 lens without any issue.

If you don't mind manual focusing and need wider angle, Samyang/Rokinon 12mm f2 is a wonderful lens withing $300 budget as well.

I have one - it's of fantastic quality.

About the X-T1 used. I personally have one, purchased with about 1-2k shots reported background.

But it also has official US Fuji warranty, and it's practically transferable if you also have original purchase receipt from Fuji Dealer.

I'd point attention at following points that tells about camera use:

- amount of dust / noisy pixels on sensor

- shape of rubber covers

- shape of left accessory door

- shape of all visible screws

- screen surface and OVF surface

- check how the LCD ribbon cable looks behind the screen

- shape of Hotshoe

- buttons and dials feedback

And few hints:

- don't worry about wobbling sound inside camera - it's normal

- OVF cover can be detached and easily cleaned to the new shape under tap water

- do few full charge\discharge cycles for batteries before judge on their capacity