Buying Camera this week. FUJI XPRO 2 vs. X100T vs. XT1 . Please help

enthawizeguy

Ya after going to the store I might be leaning more towards the Sony A7 but not sure if i should go with the older A7 or the A72 kit. Otherwise it will be the xt1

You need to look at the lens lineup real hard.  I was headed much the same way you are.  In the end I went with Fuji due to the quality of glass, and their commitment to fleshing out their line.  The A7's are hell a great cameras, but the lenses are expensive and there ain't a whole hell of a lot of them either.

Just what I learned in my research, and although that was last year, things haven't changed much at all.  In the year I've owned my XT-1, Fuji has added 4 lenses, a teleconverter, announced an upgrade to a body, announced a new body, released a new body, and handed out 3 firmware upgrades (that introduced totally new features, not the typical fix bugs) to the customers of the body I purchased.  And that's just what I can recall off the top of my head.

There's an old saying in photography.  You buy bodies, you invest in glass.  The body you purchase this week will be replaced in a couple of years, but the glass you buy to go with it will dictate what you buy next.

WTF do you want FF for? For street or for birding? For both, crop sensors are actually often better ... 

I'm sorry, but I still find you sound like a kid in a toy store, wanting everything he sees and if it can be only one it has to be the biggest baddest thing the other cool kids have as well. 

Why don't you REALLY think about what you want to shoot and you'll get a useful recommendation. If that recommendation is a Sony - sure, why not. If it's just for the sake of buying something to be able to say you have bought something, man up and buy a Leica and be done with the kids stuff from Fuji, Sony, Canon and Nikon.

With *only* a $1600 budget and only the most generalized and uncommital of usage and/or shooting preferences, I'm inclined to say that you 'd be best advised to have a good sit down with yourself and not to make an immediate purchase.

Without a more solid idea of your own needs and desires, it would be a huge mistake to lock yourself into ANY system at this time until you find what truely suits you.

Consider taking advantage of photographic equipment rentals and see for yourself what each system offers and what they cannot.

I want a better camera and over all the a7ii seems the best option where I won't have to upgrade for a while and is on park with the canon mk3. I want something with high iso good for low light and a good all around camera. Yes the lenses are expensive that is the only problem. 

That and the camera bodies are all over 2000$ without any lenses.

There is nothing wrong to want the "best" toy in the scenery but really do your research about the eco system. Search all the manufacturers, they have all pros and cons, I can give a small overview as how I see them:

Canikon (Canon/Nikon):

Old dinosaurs bulkier DSLR but super wide lenses variety, challenged by close of nobody in their eco system. Whatever your needs in lenses, they have it. Plus, very good selection of camera bodies for both FF and cropped sensor.

Sony:

Super impressive bodies, specially the last Mk2 generation, but lenses are very expensive for the IQ, in general, and the Zweiss lenses are even more expensive but at least there is a reason for that with magnificent IQ. And while you can adapt other lenses on them, you will lose on AF speed and precision, there have been several reports that not all the Canon lenses work as good as they want you to believe.

Fuji:

Rather low specs bodies but makes it up for excellent optics, so far it ranges from good to down right excellent, even the "cheap" XC lenses are decent for their prices.

Panasonic/Olympus:

Micro 4/3 sensor, even smaller than Fuji's BUT they have a very wide selection of prime lenses and a lot of them are really good, the bodies are smaller than Fuji's but the extra reach and lower prices for lenses makes it really interesting when starting up photography. The models that came up the last 2 years are all very good and plenty enough for whatever your needs.

Pentax:

A bit of an oddball as some of their decisions on camera doesn't make any sense (see Pentax K-S1), the K-S2 is still a very very good camera, you can literally wash the camera by pouring water on it. The weather sealing of Pentax is challenged by almost none. Great optics too, a bit lacky in my taste but I have been very spoiled by Nikon and Fuji. Very reasonable price, a K-S2 with 18-135 lens, the equivalent of 27-200ish on FF, cost like 650$ tops. They also make medium format camera at insane IQ.

Last point, I am just repeating what the other said before me, but between a super good camera body with a crappy lens and a crappy body with an excellent lens, I will always take the second option. And to illustrate that:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/27725331@N05/23503300869/in/dateposted/

It's not my picture, but one of a friend, she shoots with a Nikon D90 but used a Nikkor 70-200 for that event.

I am just comparing the photo's on flickr from the fuji xt1 to the a7ii and i don't see many on par with it. 

I have narrowed it down to two options

I can get the a7ii body kit with the 28-70mm lens

xt1 with the pancake or 35mm sense. 

They are both going to be around the same price. I personally would like to drop 400 more and get the a7ii with the zeiss 35 but i don't know if i should eat into my funds like that. I'm torn i have spent 36 hours trying to decide. 

That really depends on how far are you on the Photography road. I usually advise new comers to take either a FF (Full Frame) equivalent of 35mm (23 on Fuji) or 50mm (35mm is the closest we have).

Wait so which sense do i get for 35? the pancake 27, the 23, or the 50? that really just confused me?

Spent 36 hours trying to understand what’s best for you?

Some of us have spent more than half their lives dealing with photography and are still trying to make sense of it all. I have been at this game for almost 40 years now and still buy things and revise my choices after a while.

There is no substitute for direct experience.

After that everything has been said, then something needs to be done.

I think you’ve read everything that anyone could possibly tell you. The rest you have to see and decide for yourself. 

Why don’t you go to the shop and play around with cameras? Aside for the X pro 2, which will take some time to appear on the shelves, everything is there.

You seem to be wanting to jump on the bandwagon while this is running and you want to do it apparently with a splash, you must have your reasons, but there is not much more that anyone can tell you to make you sway one way or the other.

Good Luck!

That really depends on how far are you on the Photography road. I usually advise new comers to take either a FF (Full Frame) equivalent of 35mm (23 on Fuji) or 50mm (35mm is the closest we have).

Wait so which sense do i get for 35? the pancake 27, the 23, or the 50? that really just confused me?

I will guess that you mean sensOR size and not Lens size.

For sensOR size, that is limited to your budget, the FF (Full Frame) on the Sony A7 Mk2 is bigger and also heavier and the lenses will cost you more. 

Personally, I will not take the kit lens with the Sony body, that lens is really bad for the price. The "standard" zoom range is 24-70, you are missing 4mm on the widest end, why didn't Sony just made it 24mm at the widest, I have no clue. Plus when learning photography you want to avoid using a zoom. Zooms makes you lazy, you will not walk around your subject to make the shot, you will just zoom in or out and skip the learning part of photo composition.

Now if you mean the Lens, that's whole different story. It basically mean which field of view (How narrow or wide) you would prefer. For that, there is nothing better than real experience. You will need to test the cameras and lenses and see what you like and what you don't.

Technically, you could do everything with a 50mm equivalent (or 35mm on Fuji), it has been agreed to be "standard" field of view of the human eye. If you want to take low light shots, take the Fuji XF 35 F1.4 but if you will face harsher weather conditions, the XF 35 F2.0 will serves you better, plus it's a more recent lens and focus a bit faster than the old F1.4.

Not that language is so important... I suppose you now mean lens, when you write lense just as much as you meant sensor when you wrote sense.

Anyway.

I suppose that you realize that the 27mm allows you to shoot a wider field than the 35mm.

The 27 is more suited to action images shot at close quarters.

The 27mm is also a lens where you set the aperture by means of a selection wheel on the camera body and it is not weather resistent while you say that you are buying a camera body which features one of the most important differences with the X-T10 precisely in being Weather Resistant ( there are also other differences which I consider minor compared to this).

Now a camera body which is Weather Resistant wouldn’t be of much use, in terms of weather resistance, if you couple it with a non weather resistant lens.

The 35mm captures a narrower field , it is better suited to portraits that the 27 would be, has a traditional aperture control and is weather resistant.

They are different lenses.

ya i just think i want a full frame... a7 or a7ii.... i don't know... u can use other lenses on the sony as well with a converter

No worries man.  I think you're gonna have to rethink your budget though.

If I were you, I'd go with the 35.  It's closer to what your eye actually sees, and will help you learn composition and framing better, in my opinion, when you are just looking around without the camera.  Not to mention it's an excellent lens.

Lastly.  Don't pick something just because everyone here is telling you to.  I spent a year going to camera stores and bugging staff, and holding cameras, trying different lenses on them, renting cameras and lenses and just talking with staff.  The only thing I knew when I decided to invest in a new digital system was that I wanted mirrorless.  But I flopped back and forth between Sony and Fuji so many times it was laughable.  All these guys would have told me the same crap they are telling you.  You have to make the decision you will be happy with.  I can tell you, looking at other photographer's photos won't make you shoot like them.  I looked at Brian Matiash and Chris Burkard so much I was almost all but decided on the Sony A7 series.  In the end, I decided that for the quality of the glass, the price, the value they place on their customer, the lens lineup I wanted to build, and the photography I want to do; the Fuji system was for me.  I'm now invested in it 100 percent and don't have a single regret.

Why?

I guess you come from a 35mm analog background, and probably feel at home with the 35mm format? ("full frame format" as it is often called nowadays). Fuji is not going to deliver a full frame X-mount camera in the foreseeable future, so with Fuji you buy in into the APS-C format.

I am perfectly happy with an APS-C camera, and I think the Fuji cameras are really good for what I want. But if you want a full frame camera, buying into a system that does not offer that option may be a costly mistake.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

i can get a used like new xt-1 on amazon for 819 and an 18mm and 35 for a good price, or just the brand new xt-1 with 35 or x10 with both lenses. should i just go for the used xt-1?

If I were presented with those options, I'd go with the XT-1, but I don't have, and have never shot, the T-10...

Both are very good lenses.

Look at the physical (optical specs) and mechanical differences outlined in various reviews, don't get too hung up on sharpness comparisons, some of this is due to differences in individual lenses, others is due to testers having a different understanding of what "center", "edge/border" and "corner" actually means. 

I own both and have been happy with the 1.4 for two years and only added the 2.0 for WR and quieter AF and because I needed a second 35mm lens as my wife likes that focal length as well.

So I just read through all the confusion, haha. I'd go with the X-T1 and the 35mm F/2WR. I have the 35mm F/1.4 and it is a great lens, but I think the slightly smaller size, weather resistance, and faster AF will make me use it more than I use the 1.4. The 23mm F/1.4 is also fantastic. If you don't mind manual focusing, pick up a lens adaptor and some old lenses like the Canon FD. 

I've been moving over to Fujifilm from Canon, where I had a 5D MKII and 6D. I still use the Canon 6D once every few months, and sold the MKII. With the way the fuji cameras shoot and feel, the colors, and everything else, i really don't miss the full-frame. I've considered picking up one of the Sony's to use with old manual focus lenses, but changed my mind. I really love shooting with my X-T1 and X100T. These are the most fun cameras I have ever used. 

I bought a xt-1 for 800 perfect condition.  35 1.4 for 450, 18mm for 283.... now I'm just looking for the perfect backpack case that can hold all of this and the best tripod to fit it. If you  have any suggestions let me know. 

Congratulations.  I think you've got a great kit there, and I hope you will be very happy with it.